Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We haven't signed players good enough to challenge for Europe anyway, so no biggie really.

Strongly disagree there. Young and particularly Carew are players fit for the European stage and are the first phase of our push to the next level.

I love the signing of Young, but what does he seriously give us this season? What do you really know of him other than seeing him perhaps four times? It's not like United, Arsenal and Liverpool were head over heels to sign him? He has been good this season, and will become a very good player, but as of now he is rather unproven.

Carew has always been good due to playing with good players. Now the level of ability has sunk immensely, and he is not a goal-poacher, leaving us with NO real goalscorers. I am sorry to say so, but Carew will not give us many goals.

Edit: Oh, I was talking about this season though. So not bringing in a couple of stars now doesn't matter (as long as we get them in the summer)

Well if we don't bring anybody in then:

a) No excuses for having a squad not big enough

B) I hope we don't play like we were underprepared tonight.

I agree with the latter. With regard to the former, there is no point in signing players for the sake of it. We are not in Charltons position after all!

As much as I love McCann for his attitude and effort, sadly I just don't think he's good enough for where we want to be going. He's currently irreplaceable within our squad, but we need a DM who is more adept with the ball at his feet.

I do however think we should be aiming to replace Gavin McCann with a better player, making him the cover. Don't you agree he would be happy to stay at Villa, giving his best, even though he wasn't a starter?

Like some of us assessed in the "McCann for England"-thread: There are as many as 10 players better than McCann in the central midfield position, shouldn't we aim to get one of the players who are better? Even invest in player from other countries who match those players?

I like his tackling, eagerness and love for Villa, but it counts for nothing when his lack of attacking abilities springs out. I don't know Maloney a lot, but his attacking skills would do good when we meet shit sides like Watford and field McCann to attack. Oddly enough, he was the one to unleash the shot that led to the goal against Watford, but I hope I am not the only one who think that was a fluke.....

For us to challenge the top European sports, we need a new left back, a new central midfielder and a new attacker. Perhaps even a right back as Bardsley most likely will leave. Easy as that, players like McCann and Bouma in the first-XI won't give us European football and I am sorry to upset some of you with that.

I think replacing McCann is essential for top 4 but not so much for top 6. I agree though with a left back and right back (assuming either a. Bardsley is not good enough or b. he leaves at the end of his loan) are necessary for Europe.

Not so sure about needing a striker anymore, it would certainly help but I think a top class central defender is necessary if Laursens injury problems persist is even more important.

As much as I love McCann for his attitude and effort, sadly I just don't think he's good enough for where we want to be going. He's currently irreplaceable within our squad, but we need a DM who is more adept with the ball at his feet.

and the attitude he will still have as a reserve would be GREAT for a club pushing Europe..... a hard-working Englishmand with burning desire, even though not a starter.

McCann is a good player, i just feel with other players they have competition now, places aren't guarenteed but McCann if not suspended or injured he will play. But hey maybe a DM aint available, ppl keep saying Diop, but hes 29, aint exactly going to last for ever, i think we should wait till the summer and bother Man City.

We haven't signed players good enough to challenge for Europe anyway, so no biggie really.

Strongly disagree there. Young and particularly Carew are players fit for the European stage and are the first phase of our push to the next level.

I love the signing of Young, but what does he seriously give us this season? What do you really know of him other than seeing him perhaps four times? It's not like United, Arsenal and Liverpool were head over heels to sign him? He has been good this season, and will become a very good player, but as of now he is rather unproven.

Carew has always been good due to playing with good players. Now the level of ability has sunk immensely, and he is not a goal-poacher, leaving us with NO real goalscorers. I am sorry to say so, but Carew will not give us many goals.

How do you know I've only seen Young "perhaps four times"?

To say that Carew has only "been good due to playing with good players" is, quite frankly, nonsense. It didn't look as though he needed their help when he destroyed Madrid and Cannavaro.

Anyway, back on topic...

I do however think we should be aiming to replace Gavin McCann with a better player, making him the cover. Don't you agree he would be happy to stay at Villa, giving his best, even though he wasn't a starter?

Like some of us assessed in the "McCann for England"-thread: There are as many as 10 players better than McCann in the central midfield position, shouldn't we aim to get one of the players who are better? Even invest in player from other countries who match those players?

I like his tackling, eagerness and love for Villa, but it counts for nothing when his lack of attacking abilities springs out. I don't know Maloney a lot, but his attacking skills would do good when we meet shit sides like Watford and field McCann to attack. Oddly enough, he was the one to unleash the shot that led to the goal against Watford, but I hope I am not the only one who think that was a fluke.....

For us to challenge the top European sports, we need a new left back, a new central midfielder and a new attacker. Perhaps even a right back as Bardsley most likely will leave. Easy as that, players like McCann and Bouma in the first-XI won't give us European football and I am sorry to upset some of you with that.

I think replacing McCann is essential for top 4 but not so much for top 6. I agree though with a left back and right back (assuming either a. Bardsley is not good enough or b. he leaves at the end of his loan) are necessary for Europe.

Not so sure about needing a striker anymore, it would certainly help but I think a top class central defender is necessary if Laursens injury problems persist is even more important.

Who would score the goals for us then? If Moore then good, because I hope he will become our poacher. Gaby a bit young I think to be relied on.... Carew clearly won't give us 20-a-season....... Sutton and Angel ;) ? I do however not hope that Carew turn out to be another Angel, a player who performs for one season and then stays on purely on old reputation

A lot of people have said similar things about McCann. They're all probalby right.

So If GM is "not quite good enough" why in the world have we not signed anybody to at worst deputise for him when he's out, or at best to replace him altogether??

Got it.

General Krulak here:

Bottom Line, Martin did not feel there were any other players out "there" who were AVAILABLE that could help the team. Now we need to get our team in synch with the new players and start getting results!!

3rd post down. I wouldn't lie to you guys :mrgreen: (although I wasn't sure if my mate was winding me up or not :angry: )

However, a later post on that page says

General Krulak here:

PLEASE don't misunderstand me....MON can certainly continue to operate as we close on the end of the window. My point is simply that he knows what he needs and what is available and will not go throwing money after someone who can't help the team.

So If GM is "not quite good enough" why in the world have we not signed anybody to at worst deputise for him when he's out, or at best to replace him altogether??

Personally, I don't think it's through lack of trying. Just like the General said, the right players just weren't available at the moment. I expect a top class DM to be a priority in the summer.

2. I said before the window opened that the "nobody available" line is pure, unadulterated BS. Nobody available in the whole of the footballing world better than Tina and Oz ? Do me a favour.

Who exactly was available in the DM market (realisticly) this January?

Diop: Yes good player now, but getting on a little bit. Not a player for the future and since he would cost approx £5million, MON will feel not worth it for what will ultimately be a short term option.

Barton: Doesn't want to leave.

Mascherano: As good as player as he is, I wouldn't want to touch that situation with a 90ft barge pole.

Smith: Not his best position but he may still come anyway, not out for def.

Anyone else we have been/could have been linked to in January for DM position?

I honestly believe, there is no-one available who is better than McCann. I think McCann is vastly underrated and he can still do a job for us.

I agree and I don't think there is any cover that is better than Gardner or Ozzy to warrant signing them when come the summer any new signing now as cover for Gav would be at least third choice.

From the generals later post, I get the hint that Celtic may be after a stupid fee for Maloney and we are refusing to be held to ransom.

We have done well to get the players in we have. Everyone knows Jan is very very difficult to sign quality players as no one wants to sell good players as theere is still so much to play for.

Providing we have a decent second half of the season and secure a top ten finish then recruiting the likes of SWP, Bent, Parker and Barton will be that much easier.

Summer time is always when the big moves are done so to get the players we have in Jan is great business by randy and MON.

Rocafella, we have Moore, Gabby, Carew, Angel, Sutton and Young if necessary to play up front. I can see Angel and Sutton leaving and then we may well need another striker. However, I think our future lies in Moore and Carew!

From the generals later post, I get the hint that Celtic may be after a stupid fee for Maloney and we are refusing to be held to ransom.

In other words, the type of deal that generally goes through at 11.59pm.

Thats the one!

How do you know I've only seen Young "perhaps four times"?

To say that Carew has only "been good due to playing with good players" is, quite frankly, nonsense. It didn't look as though he needed their help when he destroyed Madrid and Cannavaro.

Anyway, back on topic...

I am a total PL-addict, I watch almost every game, I know shitloads of useless information about teams and players. What I mean to say is that I don't really know much about Ashley Young other than the few games Watford have played this season, as well as the promotion-game last season. If you are from Watford, go to their games or know something we normal fans don't, then I excuse myself. Other than that, how can you know much about him?

From what I have seen, he is pacy (not Ronaldo/Henry-pacy) but lacks a bit self-esteem. When he dares he tries to beat players and gives a decent cross even though it is hard to judge when he had to pass to Watford-players!! Like I said, a great prospect and a future-star, but as of right now he isn't better than let's say Shaun Wright-Phillips. We have to differ current ability with potential ability, or else the pressure will crack the poor boy. He is only 21 or something.

When people speak of Carew it's always that one challenge against Cannavaro, just that game. Fair enough, he has has many good games. So has Darren Fletcher.

John Carew disappears for large parts of games (thus Lyon has already went out and criticised him for it and glad they are rid of him) and he doesn't work well for his team. A good player due to his strength and height, but not a goal-poacher and not a 15 per season. Why do you think he has changed clubs more than anyone else? Why has he never scored more than 10 goals in a top league? Because he just isn't that good. And hear me out, I am not slagging him off, I am just trying to lower your expectations. Carew isn't getting swingers from Vicente or Totti anymore, they are coming from McCann and Barry. He must rely more on his own abilities, which will be an exciting challenge. Let's hope he succeeds, it's not like I'm hoping for the other way around.