Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that bad Big Jim. FWIW, if there was midfield cover available which was better than what we currently have then I think we would have signed them. McCann is an important player for us no doubt but we have more flexibility in the latter third of the pitch now which means, to me anyway, that we can cope better without him than we could in the first half of the season.

I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't get any midfield cover.

At the very least we are going to be in trouble if or rather when GM is out.

Can't believe it really.

Agree with you Jim.

With Gavs 'style' of play he usually misses a few games with injury or picking up bookings.And whether rated or not,we miss him when he's not playing.

It's not that bad Big Jim. FWIW, if there was midfield cover available which was better than what we currently have then I think we would have signed them. McCann is an important player for us no doubt but we have more flexibility in the latter third of the pitch now which means, to me anyway, that we can cope better without him than we could in the first half of the season.

1. Yes it is, it's terrible :)

2. I said before the window opened that the "nobody available" line is pure, unadulterated BS. Nobody available in the whole of the footballing world better than Tina and Oz ? Do me a favour.

3. We can have all the flexibility in the world in the forward line, but if we can't get the ball off the opposition there won't be much chance to exploit it.

We haven't signed players good enough to challenge for Europe anyway, so no biggie really.

Strongly disagree there. Young and particularly Carew are players fit for the European stage and are the first phase of our push to the next level.

I do however think we should be aiming to replace Gavin McCann with a better player, making him the cover. Don't you agree he would be happy to stay at Villa, giving his best, even though he wasn't a starter?

Like some of us assessed in the "McCann for England"-thread: There are as many as 10 players better than McCann in the central midfield position, shouldn't we aim to get one of the players who are better? Even invest in player from other countries who match those players?

I like his tackling, eagerness and love for Villa, but it counts for nothing when his lack of attacking abilities springs out. I don't know Maloney a lot, but his attacking skills would do good when we meet shit sides like Watford and field McCann to attack. Oddly enough, he was the one to unleash the shot that led to the goal against Watford, but I hope I am not the only one who think that was a fluke.....

For us to challenge the top European sports, we need a new left back, a new central midfielder and a new attacker. Perhaps even a right back as Bardsley most likely will leave. Easy as that, players like McCann and Bouma in the first-XI won't give us European football and I am sorry to upset some of you with that.