Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

£40 to me is the same as 2 million to Randy Lerner.

On the basis that RL is worth in the region of £600m, i've worked it out that you are therefore worth £4800 pounds.

I'll forward you a tenner for a drink and a hot meal :winkold: :)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a look on the rumour section on Sky sports , there's some class rumours on there

Someone reckons we'll be signing Luke Young for 8.5 million by the weekend , also SWP will be coming to us on loan next week and also we will be bringing either Keane or Bellamy in.

Talk about bullshit :crylaugh:

Why cant people believe that things like this could be true , it would be surprising yes but not out of the question. Belive in Randy .................................

I am not saying its out of the question , but you've got to admit getting 3 players of that caibre is gonna be tough ?

Incidentally, I'm on your side Broomy, about patience. I'm just saying that if Randy wants to pay more than a player is worth, that's his decision, not mine/ours.

Technically, if he didn't want to buy anybody at all, it's his decision.

Just had a look on the rumour section on Sky sports , there's some class rumours on there

Someone reckons we'll be signing Luke Young for 8.5 million by the weekend , also SWP will be coming to us on loan next week and also we will be bringing either Keane or Bellamy in.

Talk about bullshit :crylaugh:

Why cant people believe that things like this could be true , it would be surprising yes but not out of the question. Belive in Randy .................................

I am not saying its out of the question , but you've got to admit getting 3 players of that caibre is gonna be tough ?

Well werent we told to expect 5 players of the "Petrov" calibre this window? Surely we gotta trust MON and Randy, and what they tell us?

Big difference in £40 and a couple of million tho isnt there

Not really.

£40 to me is the same as 2 million to Randy Lerner.

Maybe to Abramovich but not to Randy.

Exactly. Lerner may be a billionaire, but does anyone believe he's generously earmarked all of that money to help out the Villa?

I've always assumed that, in the long-term, he'll be expecting Villa's spending to be financed by the club's own revenues. In the short term he might be willing to put in £20-40m of his own money, and if that's the kind of budget we have, I can quite imagine that neither O'Neill nor Lerner would want to be paying £2m over the odds on every player we buy.

Well werent we told to expect 5 players of the "Petrov" calibre this window? Surely we gotta trust MON and Randy, and what they tell us?

If we're going to trust MON's public statements, then presumably that includes his comments about how difficult it could be to sign the players we want in January?

So MON has said he wants to sign 5 players of Petrov's calibre in January? I sure ive read it before somewhere, and its quoted in PB's latest article aswell.

Oh but Faust we know its hard signing established PL players in January. But do you seriously believe the footballing market to be that confined?

I'd imagine MON would like 11 signings of the calibre of Drogba/Terry.

But we're in the real world here. He was talking, IIRC, of an "ideal scenario" type situation.

He was talking, IIRC, of an "ideal scenario" type situation.

Which, when you've got some of the fans that we seem to have, was a very silly thing to do.

1- We were told that its possible to expect 5 players of the Petrov calibre in January. Now if you consider that he was worth 7-8m you could reason that we could spend anything from 25-40m. This depends on whether some are loans or whatever. But MON wouldn't have mentioned that if it were not possible.

2- Randy Lerner is worth several Billion. Its not as simple as saying he is worth £800m as he has many assets and trusts that are not considered in his cash value. Not that it matters much because....

3- Whilst the money is coming from RAL it doesnt mean his own pocket. A master financier can find many ways to raise money, I'm sure you'll all agree. Well, there is more than one of those on our board as well as IMG's expertise in structuring deals.

We dont know yet what sponsorship deals are on the horizon for instance and its obvious the team needs strengthening now more than its likely to need it over the next year or so. Therefore its reasonable to expect a large investment in the squad imminently.

So MON has said he wants to sign 5 players of Petrov's calibre in January? I sure ive read it before somewhere, and its quoted in PB's latest article aswell.

That's right. I don't recall the exact words, but it was something along the lines of: "Ideally, I'd like to bring in five or six players of the same quality as Petrov".

Oh but Faust we know its hard signing established PL players in January. But do you seriously believe the footballing market to be that confined?

Yes. If it was easy for a manager to bring in the players that he wants during the first 11 days of a window, everyone would be doing that, wouldn't they? Look at Newcastle as an example - they're desperate for new defenders and have been linked to Davies, Distin, Upson, Bale and even our very own Aaron Hughes. But who have they signed?

I could understand your frustration if other clubs were making big signings left, right and centre ... but they're not.

When you come out and say you are keen on signing players for £ 30-40 Mill this window, you WILL create expectations. We will see what happens, but a loan signing so far and nothing else. Not even an experienced quality loan signing, but a reserve youngster out to get dirty. I seriously hope he didnt talk all bollocks... as thats the type of fan i am.. apparantly.

Then i dare say its pretty silly of him to go out with this information.

Hang on - weren't you one of those who was complaining earlier in the window that O'Neill hadn't been positive enough in his public comments? Now you think he shouldn't say anything about his ambitions unless we've actually met them?

When you come out and say you are keen on signing players for £ 30-40 Mill this window, you WILL create expectations. We will see what happens, but a loan signing so far and nothing else. Not even an experienced quality loan signing, but a reserve youngster out to get dirty. I seriously hope he didnt talk all bollocks... as thats the type of fan i am.. apparantly.

Where did you get the 30-40 million figure? I may have missed something but I didn't hear a number quoted, let alone one that high. If anything MON was trying to temper expectations heading into January.

Then i dare say its pretty silly of him to go out with this information.

Hang on - weren't you one of those who was complaining earlier in the window that O'Neill hadn't been positive enough in his public comments? Now you think he shouldn't say anything about his ambitions unless we've actually met them?

What are you talking about? Anything ive said seem unreasonable, please link it and il explain in more then one language!