Only the third time in Premiership History

Strangeways

Sorry if this has already been posted but i heard a very damning stat on talksport from there stat man saying that the Villa against arsenal is only the third time in premiership history where a team have only managed 1 shot on goal in the entire game????. I know we have injuries but even when low level teams play premiership teams in the cup they manage to have more than 1 shot on goal.... Obviously this is not acceptable and tactics are clearly not working. Can anyone give me a bit of confidence on how we are going to get any more points this season given that fact that McCleish seems to be nailed on as our manager for the rest of the season / next season.

Here is another stat for you all:

While watching the Arsenal game this week the commentator mentioned that Villa have had 166 corners so far this season and have not scored from any of them. He made that remark before the first corner of the game. :rant:

Middlesbrough famously beat Arsenal 3-0 at Highbury and only had one shot on target. Own goals counted for the other two.

Only having one shot on target is not an uncommon thing at all. I would imagine it has happened countless times over the years. I would imagine there are plenty of times when a side has had no shots on target in a Premier League game. I'm not saying for a second that our showing this weekend was good, but **** me, do you have to be so dramatic about it?

Middlesbrough famously beat Arsenal 3-0 at Highbury and only had one shot on target. Own goals counted for the other two.

Only having one shot on target is not an uncommon thing at all. I would imagine it has happened countless times over the years. I would imagine there are plenty of times when a side has had no shots on target in a Premier League game. I'm not saying for a second that our showing this weekend was good, but **** me, do you have to be so dramatic about it?

The guy on the radio said premiership history, and i am offended that you swore at me....

The guy on the radio said premiership history, and i am offended that you swore at me....

If threads which simply repeat what is said on Talksport aren't banned on this site, maybe they should be.

Talksport presenters spout rubbish most of the time and the are sooooo... anti-Villa it is painful.

I think you need to be realistic about playing teams like Arsenal. :angry:

(BTW, shouldn 't this thread title be changed now we know it's this season, not in "Premiership history"?!)

I think you need to realise that we are not the only team that has to play "teams like Arsenal" this season and yet there have still only been three games with only one shot! :oops:

am sure Fulham came to VP in 09 and didnt have a shot, was Clark debut

To be fair to the OP I think I read something along the same lines in a match report, but it wasn't as simple a stat as 'only the third time in history a team has managed to restict another team to one shot', so I think he's mangled the facts a bit. However, I can't remember what it was either.

It was more like 'only the third time a team has managed to restrict another to no shots on target more than once in a season', though even that doesn't sound quite right. Probably didn't warrant a thread but hey-ho.

Â