Baseball 2012

maqroll

Opinion is mixed on BV....

Certainly didn't seem mixed judging on the boos he got on saturday ;)

He just looked beaten. If he wasn't such a jerk I'd feel sorry for him.

Look at the HR high for 1878.... :lol:

Hehe, what a difference a ball can make (and some PED, cynics might add).

I'm just curious, do these stats include inside the park HRs? I'm led to believe they were more common in the early years of baseball than they are now.

Yep, a HR is a HR.

I know that you could get many more left field doubles at Fenway back in the day than you do now. Where the Green Monster is now, used to just be a hill that fans sat on, so any ball hit in there would be a ground rule double.

• 2 weeks later...

Torn ACL for Mariano Rivera....out for the year, and possibly for good, given his age.

I hate the Yankees, but have a hard time not liking Rivera. Class act, and it would be a shame if it ended like this for him.

Torn ACL for Mariano Rivera....out for the year, and possibly for good, given his age.

I hate the Yankees, but have a hard time not liking Rivera. Class act, and it would be a shame if it ended like this for him.

I feel physically ill. I just posted this on a Yankee forum:

First time poster here. I hate to make such a sentimental debut but this really was a kick in the teeth.

Being Norwegian, I live in a country where baseball recieves little to no attention. I didn't start watching baseball very closely until about 2006, although I have always had a soft spot for the Yankees thanks to a set of pinstriped pajamas my parents brought home from a trip to New York when I was six years old.

One of the main reasons I went from being a sympathizer to an avid fan, was Mo. Along with Derek Jeter and Andy Pettitte, for me, he personified the greatness and the legacy of the New York Yankees. They opened my eyes to the beauty of baseball. Watching him close out a Yankee win, with all the grace and elegance that is Mo, was ample reward for staying up until the early morning watching a game. I have been a soccer fan all my life, and I have had many heroes and favourite players. None was greater, more impressive or more unique than Mariano Rivera. I dreaded his retirement already, and I'd be heartbroken if his career ends like this.

I have never been to Yankee Stadium and I have never seen Mo pitch. I'm going to New York next week and I'll be at my first game next friday. I was of course hoping to see Mo, my favourite player, and this was probably my only chance to see him pitch before he retired. That won't happen but I'll still be there because of him. Thanks for being great, Mo. Thanks for making me a baseball fan.

Not good timing this injury for you then. :(

Enjoy your trip though mate!

Cheers!

Well, you need a little bit of luck to see the closer anyway so I hadn't counted on seeing Mo pitch. It'll be great just going to the Stadium for the first time.

Delighted to hear Mo will come back, though. Made me feel better after feeling worse than I have about sports for a long time after the news broke this morning.

Not good timing this injury for you then. :(

Enjoy your trip though mate!

Cheers!

Well, you need a little bit of luck to see the closer anyway so I hadn't counted on seeing Mo pitch. It'll be great just going to the Stadium for the first time.

Delighted to hear Mo will come back, though. Made me feel better after feeling worse than I have about sports for a long time after the news broke this morning.

You'll cheer right up when you walk up the ramp and gaze over the field at Yankee Stadium. The first time you enter a ballpark is something that sticks with you. I hope you have a great time, Marius!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow.

RA Dickey is on the most amazing run, it's crazy. He's now thrown 42 2/3 straight innings without giving up an earned run. He's 11-1 on the season and just threw back-to-back 1-hitters, with 25 strikeouts. It's becoming unfair to the opposing team.

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to see Andrew McCutchen on the All Star Squad. A bit shocked AJ Burnett was not included, he has been amazing.

I was a McCutchen doubter, but he's proven me wrong. He's having a great season.

Â