Baseball 2012

maqroll

Let the Phillies off tonight with awful performances from the bullpen. Would've been a sweep but they ended up with an easy win tonight. Frustrating, but man, how bad do the Phillies look? Normal service resumed after a few fluke years. ;)

7-3, what is going on? We haven't even had a bad outing from a starting pitcher yet through 10 which is pretty impressive. Bay and Davis started the year real bad, but they've both hit 2 home runs in the last few games. David Wright has started the year on fire, hopefully he can stay healthy.

What the hell is going on with Baltimore and Seattle!? I don't understand how they're winnnig games.

Early doors. They're not terrible and both maybe slightly improved since 2011 but they're not even close to being contenders.

Granderson 5/5 with 3 HR's tonight :shock:

Gave my other fantasy team a real shot in the arm

You've got to like that from Grandy :D

There are some issues with starting pitching, LF D (Gardner on 15 day DL) and production from Arod/Cano to sort out though for the Yanks.

Speaking of issues. How long is that idiot clown fool Bobby V going to last in Boston, maq? He spent the best part of ST talking trash about the Yankees and Joe Girardi (possibly just to stop the conversation on 'fried chicken and beer-gate'), seems to have fallen out with at least Youk and Pedroia and is off to a rocky start in the standings. Is there any indication that he should even have gotten the job in the first place? Are there any nice things to say about this guy?

Am I right in thinking we have a NYY @ BOS series starting tonight?

As for Bobby V, I get the impression he was hired due to his hatred of the Yanks more than anything else. That said, Boston got off to a far worse start last season, weren't they 2-12 after 14 games?

Opinion is mixed on BV....everybody basically agrees he talks too much, and too loosely. And if you do that in Boston, you're gonna get in trouble. And he has.

But people didn't take too kindly to Pedroia's comments about "That's not how we do things here"...people think he was stepping out of line...and really, the way they've been "doing things" the last few years has been a joke, so Pedroia's name has taken a knock, too.

The consensus is is that the players will view BV as a lame duck, as he's only on a 2 year contract...If they brought in a LaRussa type on a 5 year deal, players would have to respect that.

It was a miscalculation by the FO to hire BV as a "bridge" manager...unless they just wanted someone to take attention away from the fact that the team isn't going to contend for shit for the next couple of years.

Just watched the highlights. That last pitch was close to a no-swing on a 3-2 count. I think the ump did the right thing in giving him the benefit if he thought it was close. Would've been awful to see another Galarraga type incident.

Wonderful achievement by Humber. Throwing a perfect game in baseball is one of the more impressive feats in sports, imo.

In other news, apparently there was a game in Boston last night too ;)

While rare and impressive, a perfect game is a one off, whereas the Triple Crown is the culmination of an an entire season's worth of offensive production, and an even harder feat to achieve. But the way Matt Kemp is hitting the ball, we could see the first Triple Crown winner in a generation.

Year Lg Player Team/(BA, HR, RBI)

1967 AL Carl Yastrzemski BOS .326, 44 HR, 121 RBI

1966 AL Frank Robinson BAL .316, 49 HR, 122 RBI

1956 AL Mickey Mantle NYY .353, 52 HR, 130 RBI

1947 AL Ted Williams BOS .343, 32 HR, 114 RBI

1942 AL Ted Williams BOS .356, 36 HR, 137 RBI

1937 NL Joe Medwick STL .374, 31 HR, 154 RBI

1934 AL Lou Gehrig NYY .363, 49 HR, 165 RBI

1933 AL Jimmie Foxx PHA .356, 48 HR, 163 RBI

1933 NL Chuck Klein PHI .368, 28 HR, 120 RBI

1925 NL Rogers Hornsby STL .403, 39 HR, 143 RBI

1922 NL Rogers Hornsby STL .401, 42 HR, 152 RBI

1909 AL Ty Cobb DET .377, 9 HR, 107 RBI

1901 AL Nap Lajoie PHA .426, 14 HR, 125 RBI

1887 AA Tip O'Neill STL .435, 14 HR, 123 RBI

1878 NL Paul Hines PRO .358, 4 HR, 50 RBI

Wow. Didn't know there hadn't been a triple crown winner since Yaz. Yep, I would agree the TC is more impressive than a perfect game. As you mention, it is a testament to a whole season of great performances and also considering that a fair bit of luck inevitably is a significant factor in a perfect game (it's a fine line between a hard hit line-out and a homer, and consider the Seattle line-up Humber faced last night compared to other line-ups you can face in baseball).

Still, the two avhievements are hard to compare. Compare rather the perfect game to shooting under 60 for a round of golf or a maximum break in snooker while you compare the TC to what Messi and Ronaldo are doing this year. As a one-off the perfect game is hard to beat anywhere in sports.

Look at the HR high for 1878.... :lol:

Hehe, what a difference a ball can make (and some PED, cynics might add).

I'm just curious, do these stats include inside the park HRs? I'm led to believe they were more common in the early years of baseball than they are now.

Â