London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Got me :P
Credit where it's due for holding your hand up. There's plenty on here would go round and round in a circle trying to argue that they hadn't changed at all :thumb::)

Usain Bolt is a legend no doubt and has achieved alot. But.....he needs to show a bit more modesty. I know he is arguably the biggest sports star on the planet at the moment, but I think a bit more humility is needed at times. A few recent interviews suggest his head has got a bit big. But i fully understand that if everywhere you go people are chanting your name and wanting to know you, it is hard to stay humble.

Usain Bolt is a legend no doubt and has achieved alot. But.....he needs to show a bit more modesty. I know he is arguably the biggest sports star on the planet at the moment, but I think a bit more humility is needed at times. A few recent interviews suggest his head has got a bit big. But i fully understand that if everywhere you go people are chanting your name and wanting to know you, it is hard to stay humble.
He's straight out of the Mohammad Ali school.

Lots of people seem to find it entertaining. Not me, I prefer sportsmen to show a bit of modesty, the more so the better they actually are.

Good luck with that :) He's never obnoxious with it and he doesn't take himself too seriously; as can be seen before a race. People love his personality precisely because he isn't introverted and isn't an arsehole with it either. He is hugely gifted and he; just like the rest of us; knows he is. Most sports stars are fairly boring. We should learn to enjoy the ones who aren't.

t's the arrogance that has made him what he is.

Sure if he was mdoest he'd still be the fastest man in the world. But would he be as big of a superstar as he is now? I highly doubt it.

Plus, his arrogance has provided one of the greatest sporting moments I've ever seen. Him winning that 100m in Beijing and celebrating with 40 odd metres to go and how much it shocked me will stay with me for ever.

I noticed a lot of the 100m runners are trying to do some poses for the camera now and it looks weird.

Yeah, they're trying to emulate him and it's out of character for them. Blake's 'beast' thing is very cringe. Someone should tell him.

I noticed a lot of the 100m runners are trying to do some poses for the camera now and it looks weird.

Yeah, they're trying to emulate him and it's out of character for them. Blake's 'beast' thing is very cringe. Someone should tell him.

Yeah that's awful. Reminds me of that terrible Hull City chant a few years back

Sure if he was mdoest he'd still be the fastest man in the world. But would he be as big of a superstar as he is now? I highly doubt it.

I'm not really interested in "superstars".

Is Chris Hoy any less impressive an athlete because he doesn't go around bigging himself up all the time? More so, I'd say.

Yeah even the normally quiet, introverted Asafa Powell is doing it too. With a few of them it strikes me that it is a bit fake. A bit like Tim Henman with his clenched fist celebration after winning a point at Wimbledon. But if it helps them get in the zone then why not.

Yep, that is lame.

I enjoy Bolts arrogance though, it's not nasty and is quite good fun.

Is Chris Hoy any less impressive an athlete because he doesn't go around bigging himself up all the time? More so, I'd say.

No less an athlete but no more of a man for it and far less of a draw.

As for comparing Bolt's character to the disrepectful arse that was Ali, simply no way. Bolt doesn't talk down at his competitors and is always respectful in interviews. That's my point. He is confident but in the right way.

I agree with this but I make exceptions for people like Bolt and Mourinho. Their arrogance works for some reason.

You might not be interested. But most of the world is.

It's not about being less impressive an athlete. it's about the draw, what people want to see.

And people want to see Bolt, even the merest glimpse of him. And his over the top personality is a huge contributing factor to that.

Yeah, Chris Hoy seems like a much nicer bloke. That's not what matters for most people though.

Like that he doesn't take him self too seriously, unlike Gatlin..

I love the contrast in personality between Bolt and Gatlin. One of the highlights of the build-up to the 100m dash for me.

You might not be interested. But most of the world is.

It's not about being less impressive an athlete. it's about the draw, what people want to see.

And people want to see Bolt, even the merest glimpse of him. And his over the top personality is a huge contributing factor to that.

Yeah, Chris Hoy seems like a much nicer bloke. That's not what matters for most people though.

To be honest I much prefer Bolt's cockiness to Hoy's modesty.

My eyes were rolling listening to Hoy and Redgrave arguing the other day about why the other should be considered the greatest British Olympian instead of themselves.

Give me a bit of brash arrogance any day!

Â