Relegation - Merged

Amo69

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Stoke City came into the premiership they have finished 12th, 11th and then 13th and this season they will be about 13th. Although impressive finishes for a newly promoted club, and completely free from any relegation battles in all 3 seasons, it must be quite boring. If you are not in and around the top 6 fighting for one of the 2 European competitions, then it must be quite boring. But of course I admit it is better to be where Stoke currently are, knowing they will be a prem club next season.

At least it is exciting? Football is about entertainment, and although the actual football is shite, the whole issue of whether the club are going down or not, nervously watching all the other teams results, constantly checking the table, the whole predictions makes it a bit more fun then being 11th with nothing to play for.

At least it is exciting? Football is about entertainment, and although the actual football is shite, the whole issue of whether the club are going down or not, nervously watching all the other teams results, constantly checking the table, the whole predictions makes it a bit more fun then being 11th with nothing to play for.

I disagree. I think I said earlier that it's the wrong kind of excitement i.e. it is very much the kind of excitement I would gladly do without. Give me midtable mediocrity over this any day. At least we can plan for next season from there to some degree. At the moment we can't even effectively plan who we are buying and who's getting a new contract until we know which division we'll be in. Even at this stage, merely being in this position, is somewhat tying the club's hands going forward.

In my opinion, the domestic cups are still worth playing for and even Sunderland won it in 1974 when they were still in the second tier.

The cups have the capability of adding a certain magic to the season - and they can also get you into Europe. Something that Villa seem to have forgotten.

It's not exciting, because the football on show is utterly uninspiring. I'm not actually that bothered about whether we go down or not, whilst I'll obviously be unhappy, I won't lose any sleep over it. I go on a match day to be entertained, and at the moment I am not being entertained.

& when we got into Europe we couldn't be arsed

You mean MON couldn't be arsed. In his defence we had bigger fish to fry; namely cracking the top 4; but I think our attitude in Europe was unique to MON. Not that we can look forward to any midweek evening kickoffs for a while yet.

People complain when we play the youth, people complain when we don’t. MON played the youth and fringe players in Europe. Had a) Carew not got injured, or b)the ref had actually correctly judged Bannan’s perfectly good goal, things might have been different...

There is nothing exciting about relegation. I'd much rather have nothing to play for and have prem football in the bag than be where we are now.

anyone who thinks this is exciting is a sadist.

my experiences this season, and to an extent 80% of last season have been nothing but anger and dejection, im currently in a, meh whats the point stage. i used to look forward to going to villa, the feeling of anticipation, going to cheer on the boys in claret & blue even though you know were not gonna really achieve much in terms of winning trophys but the villa are my club, there what i look forward to after a week of work. the last time i got the feeling of looking forward to see us was swansea at home, after we beat chelsea i was looking forward to see us progress, instead we put in a limp wristed half arsed effort that weve seen in half the games weve played this season. when we lose i sulk all week end, it pisses me off having to go to work and have the same people with a smug smile say "what happened to the villa, Jim?".

its an absolute **** disgrace that we find our selves in this situation, if we had poor players i could understand. the season GT nearly took us down we had arguably the worst squad weve ever had the prem, but look at our team now, good young talent, pace, creative players and the best goal scorer since yorkie, reduced to a team who are scared to pass more than 5 feet forward unless in the case of collins, who launches ball from our penalty box up to the opposition keeper. and what do we have to look forward to IF we stay up? a mcleish clear out so he can fill the squad up with more shit like hutton. Yeah, this is as exciting as being put on death row.

In my opinion, the domestic cups are still worth playing for and even Sunderland won it in 1974 when they were still in the second tier.

It was in 1973 that they won it John and that was 39 years ago. :winkold: I agree that the League Cup is still a possible as our manager showed last season with you know who but the FA Cup is a different matter and it rarely goes to someone outside the usual suspects these days and even when it did with Portsmouth they overspent to do it and are now paying for doing so.

Football can be exciting if the games are good to watch. Losing and being near the bottom does not make things exciting it leaves us feeling miserable and living in fear of the drop...

"Nothing to play for" ???

Finishing 10th - 13th for Stoke is like us finishing 6th, and those seasons weren't bad were they? It is all about perspective. Reaching your level and winning games like Stoke are doing is just alright. Being in the relegation battle is a huge failure and I have never felt so bored being a Villa-fan.