Done My Bloomin' Cruciate

YLN

Hello VT. It is suspected that I have torn my ACL while skiing on Thursday. There is an avulsion fracture of my tibia which either means that instead of tearing, the ligament ripped the head off my tibia, or that the ligament tore, but the head of the tibia also got pulled off.

Skiied into a large block of ice in the middle of a slope and fell awkwardly on my knee with the ski staying on my foot. Heard the pop and knew exactly what I'd done. Not all that painful, but very limiting as far as I can see. I am in a full leg soft cast from the top of my thigh to the ankle, holding my knee in place so I can't bend it. This means trouble with showering, stairs and putting on socks. I'm on crutches and can not put any pressure on the knee. Not too down about it, but I imagine there will be times when I am very frustrated by my incapacity.

Has anybody experience with this injury and what would you advise? It's an absolute pisser, expecially as I am starting back to college tomorrow which will mean buses, stairs and long treks across campus. The people in my class are fantastic, but I'd like some independence. My father is here to help me for a week aswell, but I will need to learn how to do things for myself and quickly.

My foot is massively swollen and I'll need new shoes. I've been cleaning myself with baby wipes, but I think it is time for me to face wearing a plastic bag in the shower. The broken leg is going to get really stinky I imagine if I can't get the cast off to wash underneath it. Any advice or sympathy would be appreciated.

Not had the same injury but had an avulsion fracture of my ischial tuberosity. It got repaired last year after 18 years of pain - I'd guess you're looking at an operation whatever the diagnosis, right?

The key thing is following what the physio says and take it slowly. Good luck with it all mate. Having spent a stretch in bed, then on crutches and having to rely on everyone last year I can completely sympathise. A particular low point for me was having to ask the Mrs to cut my toenails as I couldn't bend my leg. Total passion killer!

Chin up mate.

Haven't done it myself, but a guy on my footy team did his knee last year. ruptured 3 of the 4 ligaments in it and broke a couple of bones too.

It's a long road back (hopefully shorter for you than it was/is for him) but you'll get there.

Good luck with the recovery!

Just read this (sorry to hear it bud) then went down stairs, slid off the 4th from bottom stair and plowed through the stairgate at the bottom, I seem to have given my knee a nasty twist / sprain and have a really sharp pain in the centre of my knee :-( Its killing me :-(

I've not done my knee but I snapped my achilles tendon last year and spent 6 months in either a plaster or boot and on crutches.

With any injury of this sort the principles are much the same, you are going to suffer physically and mentally and you are going to have to depend on those around you more than you can imagine and more than you would ever want. You can't do it without them though.

Above all else the most important thing is listen to everything the physio says and do it to the letter, they are tough task masters but they will be the ones who make the biggest difference.

Cheers for that lads and sorry about making you fall Tamuff. You're absolutely right Trent, as much as I hate to admit it, I don't think I'll be able to get a sock on for a long time and that's going to be a problem. Shoes are similarly difficult. Getting onto the bus in the morning will be tough aswell. Friends say they will drive me into college if I needs be, but I'm really hoping it won't come to that. If I can get from the bus stop to the bus and then from the stop to college, I think I'll be OK. Can anyone recommend a technique for getting a sock on a foot that is completely out of reach?

We had fresh snow on our last day in Colorado (last Sunday). I rode from first lift until midday, when we had to head off to Denver to fly home. Which was when I tripped over a rock under the snow, landed on my arm and broke a rib.

I feel your pain, man. I just hope this repairs itself quickly so I can get another weekend's riding in before the end of the season...

Can anyone recommend a technique for getting a sock on a foot that is completely out of reach?

Just cover it in peanut butter and let the dog do it. That's what I usually do for stuff that is out of reach.

Yes i have done this twice. Best advice i can give is other than get it operated on (if the tear dictates you need too), is to sowly build it bacl up and follow a good physio's advice. Wherever you can avoid putting weight on it for a while. Just take it slow for a while and let nature do it'd thing! A knee brace is also probably a good idea..

Had an ACL reconstruction last year.

One of the most painful experiences was when i actually did it. I was on crutches for 3 weeks after the initial injury then was able to walk on the knee (not sure in your case) and i actually played a few games of cricket on it knowing i was getting the op. Probably not sensible though. In the case of showers, i used to sit in the shower which isnt ideal in a small shower obviously. Dont try and rest all too much. After the op they actually want you to try and walk on it gradually.

Is a very frustrating injury as if you do have an op its about a 7/8 month rehab. Have a problem now because i think i have **** up my cartilage in my left knee which sucks as well. Guess my knees werent designed well

Your story of the incident has brought back memories from what happened to a lad at school whilst we were in Andorra on a skiing trip. Like you, he fell awkwardly and he broke his leg. If the ski would have come off his foot then he probably would have suffered minimal damage but the ski staying on sort of made his foot bend one way and his leg bend another way. That was about 12 years ago and it still makes me shudder whenever I'm reminded about it as I was only 15-20 feet away from him when it happened. I've witnessed some very bad accidents but it is safe to say that this incident is one of the worst.

I hope your road to recovery goes as smoothly as possible.

Your story of the incident has brought back memories from what happened to a lad at school whilst we were in Andorra on a skiing trip. Like you, he fell awkwardly and he broke his leg. If the ski would have come off his foot then he probably would have suffered minimal damage but the ski staying on sort of made his foot bend one way and his leg bend another way. That was about 12 years ago and it still makes me shudder whenever I'm reminded about it as I was only 15-20 feet away from him when it happened. I've witnessed some very bad accidents but it is safe to say that this incident is one of the worst.

I hope your road to recovery goes as smoothly as possible.

The reason i now snowboard. Not as easy to twist your knees. And many other reasons, including its more fun

Yes i have done this twice. Best advice i can give is other than get it operated on (if the tear dictates you need too), is to sowly build it bacl up and follow a good physio's advice. Wherever you can avoid putting weight on it for a while. Just take it slow for a while and let nature do it'd thing! A knee brace is also probably a good idea..

Done it once.

What she says - although watch out for physios. Sadistic ****.

I think my break was similar to the one described. I have told friends that if it happened on a football pitch, the cameras would not show it again. The knee just bent in the wrong direction as I put my weight to the floor. Horrible. Many people suggest that due to my casual attitude towards sports (I love a game of astro turf and work out regularly. I also have a taste now for skiing), I shouldn't bother getting surgery and just let the ACL heal itself, if indeed it is damaged, or hope that the tibia corrects itself somehow. The salient point is that I shouldn't have reconstructive surgery because I don't play sports competitively.

Today was my first day back in college. 7 hours of lectures and practicals. I found it tough getting around and was absolutely drained by the end. Peeling myself off the bed for another run at it tomorrow won't be easy.

Sorry to hear about that.

If I were you I would get it repaired, no question. I assume you're still, at most, in your twenties and even though you're not in competitive sports you say that you like casual sports and skiing. I've done my ACL twice (I'm 23) and the most important thing is to get a physio who has good experience at dealing with these types of injuries.

The operation isn't that much of a pain and if you follow your physio and do what they tell you then you'll be as good as new. Like others have said don't rush the rehab because the progress will be slow but in the end it's worth it.

Taking solace from hearing how people have had the injury before and come through it with no big deal - certainly without making a thread on VT. It's just that it's my first ever major injury and I hate having people waiting on me, so need a bit of guidance and an outlet.

Going to stop listening to people who tell me that they never got an operation and are grand, although they can't sprint anymore. I want to be returned to how my leg was before and I'm willing to put in the physio hours. Planning to ring the insurance company tomorrow and get the process started. Felt rotten when I got home from college tonight, but better now.

At the end of the day, a load of miserable villa fans on the Internet and a load of your mates can tell you anything they like.

It's obvious but the doctors know what they're doing, as much as we all like to moan about them every now and then.

Come on here to get cheered up, come on here to moan about how shit it is to be injured and get things off your chest.

But my advice would be, regarding the recovery, just listen to the professionals, because we don't know what we're talking about when it comes to that!

Taking solace from hearing how people have had the injury before and come through it with no big deal - certainly without making a thread on VT. It's just that it's my first ever major injury and I hate having people waiting on me, so need a bit of guidance and an outlet.

Going to stop listening to people who tell me that they never got an operation and are grand, although they can't sprint anymore. I want to be returned to how my leg was before and I'm willing to put in the physio hours. Planning to ring the insurance company tomorrow and get the process started. Felt rotten when I got home from college tonight, but better now.

They say that after ACL reconstruction your knee is stronger than it was before. If you need a physio, i went to a guy in moseley at physio 1st. Knows what hes talking about. Only problem is he used to work for the blues

Â