Done My Bloomin' Cruciate

YLN

I know of a couple of people that have had pretty horrific injuries from skiing, which sound the same as yours - the ski not coming off.

A guy I was working with about 4 years ago - his wife went skiing in Montgenevre with friends the week before Christmas, she was riding through powder over what she didn't know was icy moguls. She lost one of the tips under the surface (dangerous mistake - go for reverse cambers) and clipped one of the moguls. She fell and rolled over 360 degrees, but the ski didn't. She was in hospital in France for 2 months before she could eventually travel back to the UK by car. 6 fractures of the tibia just below the knee. She is walking now but will never ski again.

When you get better, get some good ass padding and have snowboard lessons. You pretty much eliminate any chance of this type of injury in recreational riding on a snowboard as having both feet strapped to the board means your whole body stays with the orientation of the board.

I've had a couple of nasty scares over the years on my board but they have come from riding like a cock. I popped off what looked like a natural kicker in Austria a few years ago, from the treeline back onto the piste - without realising how much the piste dropped away below me. When I landed I was going too fast for the slushy mogul conditions and came off, feeling something like a crack in my left foot. I think the crack came from my equipment though - I rode for the rest of the week.

The only other one was a collision in Chamonix in 2006, where a girl skied into me when I was going quite fast. I came off OK. She came off the mountain in the rescue helicopter...

Took my brace off today. Leg isn't looking great. Lots of muscle wastage. Told to do some physio on it. Just lifting my leg and tensing my quads. Getting better. Tried to flex my leg at the knee on instruction. I can get to maybe 20 degrees of an angle. Hurts afterwards all the way down my leg to the ankle. I thought I wouldn't be at this stage for a long time, but now I can get around with kind of normal walking, but with all my weight on the crutches. Hoping to get into the shower tomorrow. 6 weeks of this til the operation. Have to wait for MCL to heal and get some strength in the leg before performing the ACL reconstruction. If I can bend my knee to the point where I can get on a sock, I will be pretty much independent and my father, who is getting a little bit jaded of the situation, can go home.

What a rollercoaster

• 2 weeks later...

Had a consultation with the surgeon on Friday. He was happy with how the MCL is healing, but the meniscus will probably need to be operated on along with the ACL. The operation is on March 5th, but I need to get muscle mass back in my leg before then, especially in the hamstrings from where they'll be taking the graft. Where did they get the graft for yours JJ? Been watching videos of knee surgery today and it looks fairly rough.

Met a guy at a party on Friday night who says that he had the same injury, went to the same surgeon, but still gets pain in his hamstrings and sometimes his knee 3 years after the op. Only solace is that he is in his 50s now. If they can rebuild him, they can rebuild a man half his age better I'm hoping.

I'll spend two nights in hospital. One the night before the op and another the night after the op. I got to take home my MRI cd so I get to show that to all my friends now. It's 6+ months before I can get back to jumping twisting turning sudden stopping and contact sports. Haven't had a drink for nearly a month now on the back of it, which is a good thing and I've joined a gym for three weeks to use the exercise bikes. I'll be posting in the Running thread before I know

• 4 weeks later...

Operation is on Monday morning. Need to be in the hospital tomorrow afternoon for prepping. Stay overnight, op in morning, stay in that night and out the following day hopefully. I have let my physio slide a little bit this past weeks because I've had exams recently. I've two weeks off from college now though so hoping I can work at it. Going back to being unable to do things for myself again is not going to be fun though.

• 7 months later...

So I got my surgery back then. Went trekking on the knee a couple of months ago, wore a brace and it was great. Felt perfect backpacking for 6 weeks with a big weight on my back. Got a bit of a kick about in when I came back. No contact, but I could still ping the ball around a bit. Went to an octoberfest event (7 months post op) and danced my little socks off. Twisted it. Can't straighten it. Went to my physio today. He reckons I ruptured the crucuate again and is sending me for an MRI scan.

Bad

• 1 month later...

Going for my MRI scan today. Will I ever sprint at any sort of pace again? Are my chances of playing for Villa the same as Gary Gardner? Really hope it's not torn again.

Â