What defines an English person...

Zhan_Zhuang

I was just sent an email by a Scottish "friend" to type the sentance into Google...

I'm English by the way and thought it rather a shame but merely replied: "Let kindness be your only weapon" which is from the Buddhist Dhammapada.

Does anyone know wikipedia enough to change this or report it?!

I am never sure on my Nationality.

I was born in Belgium (mum & dad were in the forces), Dad is welsh, Mum is Northern Irish but I have lived in England since 2.

When anyone asks I always answer British.

Hopefully I can play international football for England, N. Ireland, Scotland, Wales & Belgium at 29 I still have hope!!!

Nationality is a fruitless endeavour, so I wouldn't worry.

True but I really hate calling myself British. I always think it has a stigma. I would rather be English, Scottish, Northern Irish or Welsh as opposed to British!

It's all rather meaningless so I wouldn't worry.

I identify as British more than I would English, myself, largely because I favour the state over the nation, one being something tangible and the other all pretty wishy washy.

True but I really hate calling myself British. I always think it has a stigma. I would rather be English, Scottish, Northern Irish or Welsh as opposed to British!

Just do what I do, call yourself a knobhead and be done with it. :thumb:

it's all rather meaningless so I wouldn't worry.

probably only to the English ... The English seem to be more interested in celebrating St Patrick's and American Independence day

everyone else in the world seems quite proud of where they were born but Englishness just seems to have hijacked by fucktards like the EDL and tram lady who have no idea ...

it's all rather meaningless so I wouldn't worry.

probably only to the English ... The English seem to be more interested in celebrating St Patrick's and American Independence day

everyone else in the world seems quite proud of where they were born but Englishness just seems to have hijacked by fucktards like the EDL and tram lady who have no idea ...

No, my point would be that anyone who thinks it's something meaningful is wrong.

The concept of nations has only existed for about 300 years, tops, before that nationhood doesn't really come into our minds. And even now it's all rather vague - in this very thread theres a poster who is unsure what his nation actually is, is it his birth place, his parents nationality, where he grew up, or even all of them? (in which case it's all rather moot, really isn't it? May as well just say he's a Yank and have done with it).

The thing is even vague to define - the best description I stumbled on is it's an imagined community sharing a common cultural sensibility/history/identity/origin, but that's been argued as wrong.

It's meaningless. Citizenship is a better descriptor of someone's 'identity', if we must have to decide how we're all not the same.

Â