Martin O'Neill

maqroll

RL was silly for letting MON (and subsiquent managers) to buy players unchallanged.

MON is not a good manager, even when we were flying high, our position in the league was great but quite often our football was not. For the money he spent we didnt perform any higher than expected. We spent champions league style money and finished 5th with one season of a cup run.

He common know flaws where picking the same team week in week out, playing players out of position, letting decent players leave. The inability to sign a striker. Buying majority GB based players on high wages.

Could you imagine the reaction from some on here though if Lerner would have said "no" to MON on certain deals and actually challenged him? I imagine the same people who are saying it's all Lerner's fault now would also be the ones moaning about his lack of spending the most. In a way, he can't win. The only way Lerner could have won is if he gave that amount of money & wages to a manager who would have used it a lot better than MON. I'm of the opinion there's a hell of a lot of managers who would have done MUCH better with that money. Though, i'm sure some will disagree. 

• Like 2

Bitching about being sacked, with hardly any games to go, from a club that is Championship-bound due to his management. Arrogant sense of entitlement set to maximum stun.

Walks out, with hardly any days to go before season kick off, on a club that has flirted with the Championship since. Arrogant sense of entitlement set to maximum stun.

The attendant irony does not escape me. **** off O'Neill, you weaselly little word removed.

• Like 2

Answer the question.

Since he left we've spent around £70 million on transfer fees and compensation to managers.

We've also given (rough guess) these contracts

Given - £50,000

Hutton - £30,000

Makoun - £25,000

Vlaar - £25,000

Nzogbia - £40,000

Ireland - £70,000

Bent - £70,000

So in total for those 7 players we were able to give out contracts around £310,000 per week. Between those players that's an average contract of about £44,000 a week.

So your definition of a mess is a club that just finished with its highest points total in years who were then able to spend around £70 million and offer 7 new players contracts of around £44,000 per week.

Haha

How many clubs would like to be in that state? And I think it's quite clear that had Lener made the right appointment we'd be absolutely no where near the bottom 3 right now.

Funnily enough the severe spending cuts came 2 years after MoN left. Funny that, given he was the one who left us in a state.

Where do you get those figures from? And I have to say that £25k for Vlaar isn't that much. But I also think that Zog might earn more than £40k. Just curious.

Just a rough guess.

I'd be surprised if I was far out.

The simple fact is that MON and Lerner are equally to blame for the carnage that has been the last 3 seasons.

I mean this is the kind of garbage that gets posted about MoN on here and then you have people actually liking it.

Like I said previous.

Absolute bullshiting, ignoring any evidence to simply complain about a man they don't like.

Ridiculous.

You're basically putting no blame on houllier or Mcleish, both hired by Lerner.

The fact is, and it is a fact, that after MoN left we were able to spend money on fees and wages that should currently see us no where near the bottom 3. Can anyone disagree with that?

200.gif

Why did he leave at the optimum time to cause as much shit as possible, the bloke is a word removed and his interview today continues to prove what an egotistical man he is.

A cheque book manager proven again at Sunderland, always a reason why its not his fault; as bad as Pardew

The simple fact is that MON and Lerner are equally to blame for the carnage that has been the last 3 seasons.

I mean this is the kind of garbage that gets posted about MoN on here and then you have people actually liking it.

Like I said previous.

Absolute bullshiting, ignoring any evidence to simply complain about a man they don't like.

Ridiculous.

The fact is, and it is a fact, that after MoN left we were able to spend money on fees and wages that should currently see us no where near the bottom 3. Can anyone disagree with that?

^_^

Like I said previous.

Ridiculous.

Clearly we weren't able to spend that money, hence the drastic cutbacks now.

Just because the club has been run poorly and appointed poor managers since O'Neill left doesn't mean O'Neill was any good himself or that he left us in a good state.

Mantis.

Is the money we've spent on transfers and wages since MoN left enough to see a team stay clear of the bottom 3?

I know you won't answer but I'll ask it anyway. And I know you won't answer because only a complete idiot would say no.

Mantis.

Is the money we've spent on transfers and wages since MoN left enough to see a team stay clear of the bottom 3?

I know you won't answer but I'll ask it anyway. And I know you won't answer because only a complete idiot would say no.

I haven't answered because it's completely irrelevant.

Of course the money spent has been enough, but only if spent correctly, and that is our problem. Most of the money we've been spending under Lerner has been poorly spent. For that there are many people that must share some of the blame: Lerner, Houllier, McLeish, Lambert and yes even O'Neill.

Where exactly are you going with this? If your goal is to convince me that money has been poorly spent then there's no need because I can already see that.

RL was silly for letting MON (and subsiquent managers) to buy players unchallanged.

MON is not a good manager, even when we were flying high, our position in the league was great but quite often our football was not. For the money he spent we didnt perform any higher than expected. We spent champions league style money and finished 5th with one season of a cup run.

He common know flaws where picking the same team week in week out, playing players out of position, letting decent players leave. The inability to sign a striker. Buying majority GB based players on high wages.

Could you imagine the reaction from some on here though if Lerner would have said "no" to MON on certain deals and actually challenged him? I imagine the same people who are saying it's all Lerner's fault now would also be the ones moaning about his lack of spending the most. In a way, he can't win. The only way Lerner could have won is if he gave that amount of money & wages to a manager who would have used it a lot better than MON. I'm of the opinion there's a hell of a lot of managers who would have done MUCH better with that money. Though, i'm sure some will disagree. 

Very well said.

Of course the money spent has been enough

At last!!! Discussion over you've now admitted it.

So how is MoN to blame for our current situation? You've now said the money on wages and fees spent after him has been enough for a team to not be near the bottom 3 so how can we blame MoN for that money being spent badly? How?

Very well said.

First of all i doubt fans would have kicked up a fuss if the club made it clear that the wage bill was getting out of control.

But let's say that fans did kick up a fuss. What's worse? A few fans on VT moaning or what happened with our wage bill?

Who cares if a few fans moaned (I don't believe they would if the club communicated properly) the most important thing is running the club correctly.

Of course the money spent has been enough

At last!!! Discussion over you've now admitted it.

So how is MoN to blame for our current situation? You've now said the money on wages and fees spent after him has been enough for a team to not be near the bottom 3 so how can we blame MoN for that money being spent badly? How?

Him and Lerner were both complicit in wasting a load of money on mediocre or poor players which in turn is part of the reason why these drastic cutbacks have been implemented recently. The money spent since he left has been mostly spent badly, but so was a lot of the money spent before he left too.

I get the impression you think only one person can be blamed but the fact is there are loads of people who must share a portion of the blame, O'Neill being just one of them.

Hahaha, interviewer just asked why his teams fizzle out

Mon - where did you get that from? Interviewer what we saw at Sunderland lol

but so was a lot of the money spent before he left too.

Ok.

But as you just admitted that we'd spent enough since he left to be no where near the bottom 3 how is what you've said there to blame for our current situation?

You've admitted it yourself finally.

but so was a lot of the money spent before he left too.

Ok.

But as you just admitted that we'd spent enough since he left to be no where near the bottom 3 how is what you've said there to blame for our current situation?

You've admitted it yourself finally.

Because it's a culmination of things. Wasting loads of money as we have done over the past 5-6 years means that we're having to make drastic cutbacks now.

Â