Irreverentad's Relationship Advice Thread

irreverentad

I'd lead with: "I'm getting a haircut and a razor for Christmas. Promise."

I get lots of compliments on my hair actually :rolleyes:

I really like this girl at work and I'm going to get the perfect opportunity to ask her out (in the new year) but... I'm not sure what to say exactly...

I'm STD free, fly me.

It's true and to the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FTS2tdmyYM

You know the bit I'm on about ;)

And I can grow a little facial hair... I'm rocking a really shoddy goatee that doesn't join up as I type. I look like a really shabby Robin Hood.

• Like 1

I really like this girl at work and I'm going to get the perfect opportunity to ask her out (in the new year) but... I'm not sure what to say exactly...

It's always difficult the first time.

Just tell her everything you know about wrestling, all girls love that.

Also, I know you're quite coy about it, but telling her you have a Ford Mustang may not do any damage. Chicks dig cars... 

Do you think I should put her in the Camel Clutch or something, do girls like that?

• Like 1

Spend the next few weeks finding out if she likes muscle cars :detect:

Well actually... that is the opportunity, she loves Mustangs and wants to go for a ride in mine.

Ahha! Then I'm going to guess you're already more than halfway there :-) Simply a case of "don't **** it up".
  • Like 1

In all seriousness regarding the racism, I have had some experiences. I remember once I'd been dancing with a lady for a few songs and thought it was going well, we retired from the dance floor to get some drinks, which I paid for, and just when I thought it was all heating up she whispered in my ear (We were sitting down) "You're alright for a black bloke aren't you? I thought all of you stank but you're quite clean"...so romantic.That's where the love affair ended as I just got up and walked off.

When I told my friend who was wondering why it all came to such an abrupt end he said "You're not even black, you're brown" Good to get clarification in these situations :D

Jesus Christ, that's way worse than mine!

So do you not consider yourself black then? I know you're mixed race and all, but I remember watching Halle Berry on Inside the Actor's Studio and she told the story about how even though she was raised by her mum, who was white, she would get teased by both white and black kids growing up, so her mum told her that it might be easier if in her head she thought of herself more as one over the other. She considers herself black. I'm not sure I agree with having to pick either way, you should embrace every part of your heritage as far as I'm concerned, but then again I'm pretty much White British through and through.

• Like 1

In all seriousness regarding the racism, I have had some experiences. I remember once I'd been dancing with a lady for a few songs and thought it was going well, we retired from the dance floor to get some drinks, which I paid for, and just when I thought it was all heating up she whispered in my ear (We were sitting down) "You're alright for a black bloke aren't you? I thought all of you stank but you're quite clean"...so romantic.That's where the love affair ended as I just got up and walked off.

When I told my friend who was wondering why it all came to such an abrupt end he said "You're not even black, you're brown" Good to get clarification in these situations :D

Bloody hell :-( There are some proper arseholes out there. The scary thing is she probably thought she was being genuinely complimentary towards you. They don't even realise the racism as it's so deep-seated.

Bloody hell :-( There are some proper arseholes out there. The scary thing is she probably thought she was being genuinely complimentary towards you. They don't even realise the racism as it's so deep-seated.

Exactly, their mindset is that the ultimate compliment to a minority is that they aren't like the rest of the minority they're a part of, they're like the clearly far superior white people.

(Obviously the last line was not my view, it's how they view white people superior)

It's **** crazy.

You know the bit I'm on about ;)

Yeah :) Danny is loaded too I think so he's well in there.

Do you think I should put her in the Camel Clutch or something, do girls like that?

Only the best ones.

v6jh9d.jpg

So do you not consider yourself black then?

No, I see myself as brown but I don't mind when people refer to me as black or white (Although that one is rare)

Slightly off topic but still in keeping with the racism.

I remember someone saying to me once -

"You are the enemy of all racists, black racists will hate you because you're white, white racists will hate you because you're black and any other racist of any other race will hate you because you're not like them...now enjoy your first day at school and remember your Mammy loves you."

Haha definitely, Mammy says that when I was very young we were known as "That Paddy woman and her little black boy" at the place where she'd do some cleaning.

When one day she pointed out that's possibly not the nicest way to describe us and our names would be more than fine, she said they were genuinely shocked any discomfort or offence could have been taken.

I've just remembered one time she told me we were walking up these steps and these women were at the top of them saying "Here they are, that paddy woman and her little black boy, he's always with her, he's like her shadow....oh sorry I didn't mean it like that!"

:D makes me laugh.

But yeah, bringing it back to relationships. Everyone's different (Which is the key :)) I've met girls who have enjoyed telling me they find me attractive because I'm brown, then some who at great lengths will 'promise it's nothing to do with me being brown and what you hear about brown people and what they possess anatomically'.

My height rivals my colour for attention from the ladies anyway :D haha.

It's **** crazy.

That it is :)

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

If anybody deserves locking in the camel clutch it's her.  Get your mate to Boston crab her at the same time.

Have you ever been a victim of 'wrestlism' as it is very prevalent on this site?

• Like 1

Exactly, their mindset is that the ultimate compliment to a minority is that they aren't like the rest of the minority they're a part of, they're like the clearly far superior white people.

Is it? Yes, there are (unfair) stereotypes involved - but what has that got to do with white superiority?

In 8pints's case - isn't being clean a good thing? Yes, it was unfair of her to stereotype blacks as dirty, but I don't think there was anything more to it other than that.

DHUTWU

• Like 2

Is it? Yes, there are (unfair) stereotypes involved - but what has that got to do with white superiority?

In 8pints's case - isn't being clean a good thing? Yes, it was unfair of her to stereotype blacks as dirty, but I don't think there was anything more to it other than that.

Really?  Why would you ever tell someone they were clean?  The way she said was that she was surprised he could be clean because he was black.  She's an uneducated idiot.

Really?  Why would you ever tell someone they were clean?  The way she said was that she was surprised he could be clean because he was black.  She's an uneducated idiot.

Oh, I agree, she's an idiot.

I just don't see why "white superiority" has to come into the picture. She's dumb - doesn't mean she sees her ethnicity as superior.

Oh, I agree, she's an idiot.

I just don't see why "white superiority" has to come into the picture. She's dumb - doesn't mean she sees her ethnicity as superior.

Well she obviously sees it as cleaner for some reason.

Calling it an issue of perceived white superiority makes it sound a lot more pernicious than just mere ignorance.

Edit: Like it's part of some concerted effort to mold ethnic minorities a certain way

Edited by legov

Where did I say she was white?

My 'That it is :) ' was in response to Rover saying 'It's **** crazy'

Although I can see how quoting his whole post may make that difficult to tell, I'll edit that previous post.

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 2

Â