Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

In his first ever Premier League start he got man of the match in the 1-0 win against that team top of the league, Manchester City. In his second ever Premier League start he got man of the match and a goal in a routine 4-1 win against Wigan. So that's not a bad start to his PL career. Two games. Two man of the matches. He got an assist in each of the wins against Swansea and Norwich and he also scored the winning goal and got man of the match in their most recent match. A 1-0 win against Stoke City.

If that's dining out on 15 minutes against Blackburn then I'd like Villa to have someone dining out like that.

No doubt there's a perfectly reasonable VT-rebuttal on the way that explains away all of the performances I just mentioned. Honestly, the negativity in here is depressing sometimes.

Having watched McClean at the Brandywell on a regular basis, I felt that he was a gifted player with strength and speed. On more occasions than not he looked a level above a lot of players in the LoI. However, his move to the Premiership had me wondering if it would be too big a jump too soon for him. I thought that he would be more than capable of succeeding at the highest level, but was this move too soon?

Evidently not. There is no 'hype' about McClean. It's fact, just like someone else pointed out. Yes it's his first 8 games, but look at those stats. It's hardly just a typical good start. He has been the pivot point of Sunderland's turn in fortunes.

I believe Trap got it right, it may still be a little too soon for James at International level, but I'd love to see him travelling with the team to Poland (not to mention that he has already proven me wrong).

just seen the goal...

maybe "dining out" was the wrong terminology so i'll go with "riding the crest of a wave" instead :D lets see how he does when sunderland go on a bad run, i know juteface think sunderland are playing well because of him but i think he's playing well because of whats happening at sunderland

anyone remember albrighton being the best english crosser since beckham?

Jermaine Pennant may be going to Euro 2012 :lol: Couldnt get in the England team so now he is playing the "oh I have an Irish grandmother card". He would be the ultimate plastic paddy, even more then Cascarino.

Roy Keane will be furious. Anyone hear his "spot the Irishman" interview last year. In terms of giving entertaining interviews he is up there with the best.

@BOF As a proud Irishman how do you feel about the issue of plastic paddies? It would be fair to say without them, Ireland would not have qualified for those 3 tournaments in 1988, 1990 and 1994. And then there would of been no great days in Stuttgart, Genoa, and New York. But then again that is not what international football is about. I think the 2002 squad were pretty much all proper Irishman though.

I don't have a problem with them for the simple reason that they are only separated by one generation. Many say that being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse. If your family are recently of one nationality then you should be able to declare for that nationality. In reality, 'plastic' can go in front of any nationality.

My problem with Irish eligibility (and I think we've broached the subject in here not so long ago) is the preposterous and unfair rule whereby someone from Northern Ireland who has no Southern relatives going back as far as possible, can still switch to ROI whereas someone from ROI with no NI relatives going equally far back, can not switch to NI. It's a one-way system and it's completely unfair on NI. It also flies in the face of FIFA's own rules about politics interfering with football. But anyway, I digress.

Agree with everything you say BOF. The whole system needs looking into.

Who's Paul Green by the way? He's just been called up too.

Great Summer of sports ahead with the Euro's and the Olympics. Well, I hope they're great of course, who knows how that Olympics will go.

According to Wiki, Green has 9 caps and 1 goal for us already. Must admit I know nothing about him other than that he plays for Derby County as a midfielder (thx again Wiki).

Got alot of criticism when he played for us the last time. Similiar to what Petrov gets on here. He played against Argentina in the 1st game in the Aviva and was decent enough but went downhill from there.

Have tickets for the Spain match in Poland. Should be class.

I don't have a problem with them for the simple reason that they are only separated by one generation. Many say that being born in a stable doesn't make you a horse. If your family are recently of one nationality then you should be able to declare for that nationality. In reality, 'plastic' can go in front of any nationality.

My problem with Irish eligibility (and I think we've broached the subject in here not so long ago) is the preposterous and unfair rule whereby someone from Northern Ireland who has no Southern relatives going back as far as possible, can still switch to ROI whereas someone from ROI with no NI relatives going equally far back, can not switch to NI. It's a one-way system and it's completely unfair on NI. It also flies in the face of FIFA's own rules about politics interfering with football. But anyway, I digress.

Can't see too many people in the 26 ever wanting to play for NI tbf. As for FIFA's rules, surely political agreements negotiated between nation states, like the GFA between the UK & The ROI, take precedent over arcane rules and regulations dreamt up by Stepp and the boys in between pocketing wads of cash.

Can't see too many people in the 26 ever wanting to play for NI tbf.

Which completely misses the point of the injustice. It's not whether they'd want to. It's whether they're allowed to when it can happen in the other direction. If you're around the border counties and you're not good enough for the ROI and you've no strong allegiance either way, you might fancy your chances in the NI side. Which is the same situation as happens up North when players reckon they're good enough to play for both. They have a choice to come down. There's no choice to go up. The one-way thing makes no sense.

Â