The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe he will be at carrow road

You have been saying that about every game over the last few weeks, you don't believe it, it isn't based upon anything you just keep saying it so when he does turn up you can say you were right.

I entirely disagree.

Fine, at least that is a little more polite than you managed in your last post.

My point still stands who was he going to replace the problematic players with. You mention Cuellar, yet wasn't Cuellar injured?

You barely had a point to be honest. Your point was invalid because you incorrectly thought he was talking about modern day United which clearly wasn't the case.

You say who was he going to replace him with? Yes Ceullar missed some games through injury but he could have played more games than he did. And as I've previously stated he could have spent some of the money he spent on Hutton and N'Zogbia on a CB couldn't he. Which would have enabled Cuellar or Lichaj to play at RB.

He had choices to make in the summer and made bad decisions.

I see your back to the same old misguided argument again about having money to spend. Yet this time you now say he should have spent it on a centreback and if i remember last time it was on a fullback. So maybe he should have spent the 20m on a new team? You are also forgetting that some of his budget had to be spent on Given.

You might think its misguided but that is far from meaning it is. It isn't all that long ago that you were defending McLeish on here while you seem to think that Fergie's time at United started in the last decade.

For the record I don't believe I said "he should have bought a full back" what I actually said was that he shouldn't have bought a right back because we had options in that position and we could do with players in other positions. As an example I mentioned the lack of options at LB.

The point is that he had options in the summer and he made his decisions, he decided to by a RB. He could have done something about the "problem" players who it seems everyone agrees (amongst others) are Warnock, Dunne and Collins yet he opted not to replace them or to sign anyone to put them under pressure for their place.

The point is he had money and he made his choices and those choices were to not do anything about replacing these supposed problems in the team. So you can't turn around a few months later and claim he couldn't do something about them.

As for this "buy a whole new team" line, that is frankly childish and the sort of comment someone makes when they are incapable of making a case for their argument which about sums your last few posts up.

I'm not quite sure how you reach the conclusion I'd forgotten about Given either. You are wrong on that by the way, I'll just add it to the list. Given was a good signing, a good use of resources although the contract he was given was nothing short of stupid.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't see Hutton or N'Zogbia being mentioned recently as problematic!

Not really sure what your point is here. The point is Hutton is a player with a past for drink related issues so is hardly the sort of player you sign if you are trying to sort out a dressing room while N'Zogbia has a long history of problematic behaviour both here and throughout his career.

As far as the point about Man U is concerned Ferguson had the full financial might of his club to replace those players whether it was in the 80s or present day so either way the poster i commented on was talking bollocks!

Full financial weight? Are you old enough to actually have a clue what you are talking about? Man United in the mid 80's were nothing like the modern day incarnation of the club. It is though irrelevant, Fergie as the original poster suggested arrived at United and did something about the problematic players unlike McLeish who rather did the opposite and signed a couple more.

I'll ignore the condescending tone at the start of your post.

Yes you are correct in stating that i thought the previous poster was referring to the present day Man U but even in the 80s when Ferguson first took over the reigns at Man U he informed his chairman that a new team was needed. This was widely reported in the media and the finance was made available to Ferguson to change the team and get rid of drinking culture at the club. My point is that McLeish hasn't been given the funding, or the time to do that, to actually be able to eradicate the problematic players at our club and have the finance to replace them. How much do you actually think it would have cost to replace Dunne, Collins, Warnock, Freidal, Luke Young and either Downing or Young taking into consideration Albrighton? Exactly! So my point is very valid and certainly not childish!

Yes i have defended McLeish, but only on your point of him not being a victim of circumstance. I feel this point can also be attributed to my first point above and i still stand by that. You will note i have never stated anywhere on here that i think he should be our manager so there's no contradiction, if thats what your getting at?

My point about Hutton and N'Zogbia is that since they have come to our club have they caused any serious trouble and i am referring to trouble in the sense of what has happened in the past 10 days. To my knowledge they haven't, albeit with N'Zogbia stating that he wasn't happy playing football which was mainly attributed on here to the way in which McLeish was using him. So your reference to those players is rather unfair as it is in the past tense.

Finally, the point i was making about Given is that a quarter of McLeish's budget was taken up by Given's purchase which left him even less to spend on other positions in our team. Given's purchase was one of necessity and probably has saved our Premiership status.

Erm no, I said he'd be at Bolton he was

I didn't say he'd be at spurs, he wasn't

You've said it about a number of games.

I thought he'd be at the Sunderland home game, he wasn't & that was disappointing

To me the only feasible reason Lerner will keep Mcleish is to oversee the sale of our remaining saleable assets

Bent

Gabby

might bring in £30m - of which any manager will see very little. In particular I think bent has played his last game for us.

16th position is where O'Leary finished with a poorer squad and he got the sack.

He won 10 games that season and amassed 42 points and he got the sack.

Clearly Lerner is less ambitious than Ellis.

I'm still of the opinion that McLeish will be gone pretty soon after the Norwich game.

When he did the post match interview Pat Murphy (who seemingly loathes Villa after we parted company with his mate MON) he very much steered the conversation towards the future. McLeish is hardly going to say that he does not know whether he has a job next season. To me it was very much the last hurrah of a defiant man.

My recollection from the MON years which both MON and Lerner separately confirmed was that they sat down after the season was over and reviewed it in detail. MON said he could not confirm whether he would still be the manager until that review had taken place. I doubt that has changed as given until yesterday we did not even know what league we would be in.

The reason McLeish will go is money. People keep saying the club will not spend the money paying him off. Frankly £4m to get rid is cheap compared top what we have lost revenue wise and will lose next season. I've posted this before but we have and will have lost probably £15m of revenue under his tenure.

That's not even thinking about relegation. We will stay up because there are worse sides in the league which was luckily for McLeish as our form has been relegation all season. He has lost the fans completely and if any of the rumours are to be believed he has lost some of the players too.

I just can't believe Lerner does not see this particularly if he does want to sell up at some point.

Only thing which is now worrying me Harry is whether there is an agreement in place between Alex & Randy that he is bulletproof this season.. As in when he signed his contract it was known this would be a very difficult season..(hence the silence). Well under those circumstances if i was Alex i would have sought assurances that i would be given time to turn it around once the wage issue was addressed ....wouldn't you?

I actually think that it was agreed that whatever the outcome this season Alex would be given the chance this summer to rebuild.. He would in my opinion have been barmy to sign a contract otherwise as it was certain we would be going downhill this season... This is why Randy the General et al did a disappearing act!! They knew this season was coming long before we did!

So

Randy comes armed with a budget to get us Champions League.

MON gets close but buys badly & doesn't rotate the squad effectively meaning we tail off in the last quarter of just about every season he was here (& now identically at Sunderland i may add).

So we miss the extra ££££'s from Champions League meaning the wage bill is unsustainable.

Randy Tells MON we have to adjust the plan accordingly vitually guaranteeing a downward curve for a few seasons as we await contracts to run out etc.

Mon walks as he will not tolerate his reputation being damaged.

Houllier comes in to help steady the ship, bring youngsters through, reduce wages & provide a better style of football than MON's brand as the fans had shown their disliking of it...

We never really see the result of this due to Houlliers Health problems.

Houllier leaves & despite Randy's attempts to get various managers in he fails as they will not buy into the plan to decimate the squad & thus damage their reputation.

So Running out of options Randy settles on Alex McCleish but Alex insists on a clause guaranteeing him immunity from the sack due to the poisonous nature of the post

All & sundry know it is going to be a horrid season & the General steps down knowing he will be facing a barrage of abuse.. A wall of silence decends as the club batten down the hatches ready for the season from hell.

2012..May ..We survive by the skin of our teeth.

Now Alex looks forward to the summer knowing the horrid 1st season is out of the way & at last several players contracts will run out & he can finally start to put his stamp on the team...

You get the picture...

This is just how i see the events of the Randy era.

I reckon Alex won't be going anywhere as it was part of the deal when he signed..

This is why the club are so quiet on the issue... they knew all along?! :|

I could have course be completely wrong & he will indeed be gone after Norwich away :lol:

You just know I have to say you are completely wrong :) The reason I say that is McLeish was not their first choice and if any of the rumours are to be believed he was far from their first choice.

I think that Lerner and Faulkner probably convinced themselves that he was a good appointment. I like many fans thought maybe just maybe McLeish had been given a shit deal at Blues and underneath that he was a decent manager and the club could see something we had missed.

But all the evidence of this season just proved he was as bad as we expected. Why should the club stick with a poor third or fourth choice? OK there has been some lack lustre protests which have delivered nothing sadly but for me there has been two key moments.

Firstly the spontaneous reaction at the Bolton game to the abject capitulation orchestrated by McLeish. Luckily RL was there for once to see it. Secondly and much more importantly its all about the financials and they must be shit. McLeish is killing the club financially and that cannot be wasted on the owner.

I really don't think he's going anywhere and his latest interview suggests this. I hate how he keeps trying to big himself up, I'm sure he actually believes he's done a good job this season. Maybe he has in his and lerners eyes, maybe he was told we need to reduce the wage bill, your aim is to jut keep us in the league this season and then expected to improve next season. Not good enough from lerner in my eyes if this is the case but I suspect it to be true.

16th position is where O'Leary finished with a poorer squad and he got the sack.

He won 10 games that season and amassed 42 points and he got the sack.

Clearly Lerner is less ambitious than Ellis.

The clue is in your wording 'where O'Leary finished'.

The season isn't over yet, so nothing is clear.

Â