The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

The thing is that every club that plays in european competition on a regular basis spend money every season to update their squad.

We got to finish 6th for 3 seasons in a row, then have to cut back,so we are NOT a club that is aiming for european qualification on a regular basis.Hopefully we are not a club that has to fight a relegation battle every season.So what type of club does Mr Lerner want us to be ?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listening to Dion Dublin talking about managers on the radio, saying that Ferguson and Redknapp, do the man management and team. But leave all the day to day coaching to their good coaches.

Made me think, not only is McLeish's man management poor, but we need better coaching staff too. I mean who coaches our movement at corners, for example, defensive and attacking?

Just looking at the Swansea line up and there's a lot of similarities in the type of players they have and ours. The difference is how Brendan Rogers has got them set up including the deployment of Gylfi Siggurdsson in the Stephen Ireland role, and ex Villa reject Wayne Routledge too.

If McLeish had any clue he could get so much more out of our players. They are not Championship players, they're unmotivated and playing without the tactics worthy of giving this league a go!

Just listening to Dion Dublin talking about managers on the radio, saying that Ferguson and Redknapp, do the man management and team. But leave all the day to day coaching to their good coaches.

Made me think, not only is McLeish's man management poor, but we need better coaching staff too. I mean who coaches our movement at corners, for example, defensive and attacking?

While watching the Chelski game yesterday the commentator said that we have not scored from 172 corners and have only scored twice from all our free kicks ?

While watching the Chelski game yesterday the commentator said that we have not scored from 172 corners and have only scored twice from all our free kicks ?

And another stat: Of our last 15 games against sides in the top half of the table, we have won exactly 1.

The situation that Aston Villa faces today is one, in my opinion, that the club has been mechanically rolling towards since the start of the season, though no-one could predict the kind of player losses that have occurred since the start of the New Year, particularly that in respect of Petrov.

But from the outset, I was not at all happy with the midfield setup. I just could not see how it's lack of strength would work, and I said then that the owner had left Villa short in that department in the process of pulling in his investment. I felt that Delph and Ireland had a lot to prove, and the consequence is that Delph has gone back to plying his trade in the lower division - perhaps temporarily. Ireland has managed to make some impression but still not, I feel, to the degree that might have been expected. I still question why Makoun was allowed to be put out on loan so easily, and did we have to put up with Alan Hutton when the reliable Luke Young had been available?

And to replace Ash and Downing we were given the mercurial talent that is M. N'Zogbia.

To that player cocktail we add the tactics of the greatly experienced and sought-after manager by the name of Alex McLeish; his winning tactics have been marvellous to behold. His wins against Walsall, Blackburn and Wigan were wonderful, and we were at one stage at sixth place in the Premier League to prove it. And, surely, the smash-and-grab win at Chelsea indicated that the club had turned the corner for the season, regardless of the internal problems that were occurring at Stamford Bridge - which now seem to be rectified.

Football, when played positively, breeds positivity; why play otherwise? It keeps the players and the fans happy for starters. Why risk diminishing attendances? Why not keep the owner happy as well while you're about it, Alex? Mmmmm, perhaps the owner is happy; perhaps any form of 'interim state' is OK by him!

Hang on, is this the Swansea that got easily rolled over by everton at home last week

As for Wigan, they are just awful as seen in our recent game there (don't suppose you went Macandally)

Written by a non season ticket holder.....

The mark of a good manager is one whose teams can play with good rythm like Swansea and Newcastle do. Ecks tactics seem to produce the complete opposite of rythm...a boring dull game which often ends in a draw or a loss. Not creative thats for sure...

Its killing me watching Newcastle. There is no reason why we should'nt be at this level. McLeish should be asking himself. There players are no better than ours. You can see the passion and motivation of the players there.

I couldn't disagree more there i'm afraid. They are MILES better players

Firstly they happen to have TWO strikers that can score bag fulls. We have one, Bent and he's injured (I can't blame McLeish for that)

Ben Arfa, Cabaye and Tiote are better than any of our midfielders. McLeish inherited the majority of our lot and lost the two actual quality ones. Can't blame him for that either.

Gutierrez and Simpson are better fullbacks than Warnock and Hutton. I don't know why McLeish bought Hutton, but I can't blame him for inheriting Warnock.

Their first choice centre backs are better than Collins and Dunne. Again, i'm not sure what McLeish can do about that. They were here and he was told he had no money to replace them.

Krul is on par with Given.

Just looking at the Swansea line up and there's a lot of similarities in the type of players they have and ours.

McLeish is on record, recently, saying we don't have the players to play like Swansea. He said he can't tell our players to be comfortable in possession as they don't have the ability (I'm paraphrasing). I believe his "tactics" will never produce a side that plays decent football. He is the problem.

Just looking at the Swansea line up and there's a lot of similarities in the type of players they have and ours.

McLeish is on record, recently, saying we don't have the players to play like Swansea. He said he can't tell our players to be comfortable in possession as they don't have the ability (I'm paraphrasing). I believe his "tactics" will never produce a side that plays decent football. He is the problem.

That may be true an certain extent about them not having the ability but its still pure comedy. These villa players are payed 30-40k a week ffsake and our manager is telling us they cant play attacking possession football :shock:

Lets be fair. The Swansea 'way' was put in place YEARS ago. At every level they play that way it's done.

You can't just turn that on overnight. It takes a big decision to be made from top to bottom of the club and years of work. Do you think our supporter base would have the patience to build a new style of team ?

I don't.

Lets be fair. The Swansea 'way' was put in place YEARS ago. At every level they play that way it's done.

You can't just turn that on overnight. It takes a big decision to be made from top to bottom of the club and years of work. Do you think our supporter base would have the patience to build a new style of team ?

I don't.

Newcastle then look at them eh. It seems only yesterday they were relegated at Villa Park and in deep s***

Newcastle then look at them eh. It seems only yesterday they were relegated at Villa Park and in deep s***

It wasnt long ago that we went to SJP and played them off the pitch in the first half, with slick passing football. How we lost that match i'll never know

I used to hate the Geordies, but they moaned less than us lot even when having all their troubles

I'm not expecting 70% possession from us. McLeish's comments annoyed me because he absolved himself from any blame. It's his idea to set us up so negatively every game. If we had the players to play an attractive style McLeish would have it beaten out of them with his anti-football philosophy.

It wasnt long ago that we went to SJP and played them off the pitch in the first half, with slick passing football. How we lost that match i'll never know

I used to hate the Geordies, but they moaned less than us lot even when having all their troubles

Thats because they have no expectations and are content to jump around shirtless. I think they last won a cup 20 years before we were champions of europe.

We lost that game because of Ecks negative tactics in the second half If I remember we sat back and got done.

Eh? Did you not see all the "cockney mafia" stuff, wailing and gnashing of teeth outside St James'?

I'm not expecting 70% possession from us. McLeish's comments annoyed me because he absolved himself from any blame. It's his idea to set us up so negatively every game. If we had the players to play an attractive style McLeish would have it beaten out of them with his anti-football philosophy.

He tried to with Hleb and I remember him coming out and saying Mcleish teams dont play any sort of decent football.

Can you not understand why people are moaning though?

Â