The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

You know what? THis is all very boring now. Those that think he is a GC will continue to. Those that want to give him a chance will and all this squabbling ain't gonna change anyones views.

I have my view and have bitten the bullet and got tickets for QPR and Cittee so instead of watching on a steam can form a better view up close and personal.......my 12 month strike is over

Very interesting, Denis! :-)

Yes, the run of pooooor performances at VP brought a lot of people into dejection mode on a big scale, but as time moves on it is quite apparent that AM is the manager and that nothing is going to move him unless there is a disastrous sequence of results.

I stand by the view that the fans and the club should never have been put in this situation (by his appointment) but we have to accept he's there and is staying.

So, right AM, what tricks have you got up your sleeve? .. 'Cause you'll need 'em!

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark - Cittee last January if you must know........ My first was in November 1965 when we beat Notts Forest 3-1 - Tony Hately scoring :)

I'll be joining you for QPR.

I don't normally do midweek games-too much hassle, but there are signs that the team are trying to do things a bit mre positively, and i reckon that they could do with all the support that they can get.

UTV

Watching Spurs the other night made me realise they lump it forward a lot more than we do. In fact, out of the most teams in the PL we play more of a passing game than almost anyone. Our players aren't that comfortable doing it as they aren't that confident under pressure with the ball. But we certainly try to play it out from the back and eventually get it out to the wings. Most other teams will hoof it forward a good percentage of the time. I know I'll get ridiculed for this because it's not trendy but I fully agree with AMc when he says he's always trying to play attractive, attacking football.

Mark - Cittee last January if you must know........ My first was in November 1965 when we beat Notts Forest 3-1 - Tony Hately scoring :)

1965??

So you're still a spring chicken, Denis? :shock:

I shan't tell you my first game, though it was in 1950! :winkold:

Man. City was our best home win of last season and Bent's debut so interested why you stopped going for a year after that particular game?

Man. City was our best home win of last season and Bent's debut so interested why you stopped going for a year after that particular game?

Because I did :)

You mention that one "outstanding" season at SHA, but even then they only finished 9th.

with a team of Premier LEague rejects like phillips, Carr, Fahey, Ferguson, Ridgewell and Bowyer is pretty impressive

And who signed those players?

Maybe because they were the only calibre of players he could afford or would go to the club. Still, to finish 9th with a crock of shit squad is a good achievement imo.

???

he spent over 33 million pounds that year, more or less what we spent

BANG.......................................wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

there goes another balloon

O.k Denis!

Not got a problem with anyone having a boycott, it's their money and choice but I remember after that game I was buzzing and couldn't wait for our next home match so quite surprised it was after that game you stopped going for a year!

Would make perfect sense if you'd done the boycott after the Sunderland home defeat which was a dreadful game and the one before Citeh.

Watching Spurs the other night made me realise they lump it forward a lot more than we do. In fact, out of the most teams in the PL we play more of a passing game than almost anyone. Our players aren't that comfortable doing it as they aren't that confident under pressure with the ball. But we certainly try to play it out from the back and eventually get it out to the wings. Most other teams will hoof it forward a good percentage of the time. I know I'll get ridiculed for this because it's not trendy but I fully agree with AMc when he says he's always trying to play attractive, attacking football.

I don't agree at all but I'm not one for ridiculing those with other opinions.

He's obviously not going anywhere so I hope he makes a lot of people eat their words by summer.

What team were you watching? We were totally shit except for the last two games. And who is GC??

?

well you couldnt have been watching the villa from the sounds of your recollection after we signed darren bent?

lets try the 1st game?

villa 1 man city 0

or maybe the 6 other wins in the league out of the last 16 games?

or the goals? 24 in 16 games

or the 26 points in those 16 games

the football was on the floor controlled and attacking

and we were still playing with players who had insulted gordon cowans and other villa backroom staff, players who were causing disruption as they didnt like the training methods and also no doubt through GH lack of tact when comunicating with the players.

the style of play was there for all to see, a game of keeping the ball, pressing the other side and trying to keep the pace at our level. it didnt work all the time but the method was used all the time becuase it is something GH believed in.

while different to MON's more counter attacking more direct play it split peoples opinions, it was something we hadnt seen really since big ron.

but despite people not agreeing that it was the best way of playing, at least i would have though most would have agreed there looked to actually be a certain style of play, tactics and direction?

i also dont understand defending GC saying he needs to be judged on his time at our club and it is unfare to judge on his past?

well people got their preconceieved ideas of his style of play due to seeing how poor his sides were set up at other clubs, saw his greatest achievment at rangers as getting to the last 16 in champions league despite only winning 2 games? or the league cup which i have already posted who they had to play in each round.

i can also bet that once he did come here, most people would have actually maybe not got 100% behind him but certainly be far less vocal against him if he played any kind of decent football, or even got decent results.

he has done nothing to disprove that he is hit and miss, mid table at best and only if he spents shit loads of money ( £33 million plus at scum for the 9th place).

THAT is why alot of people are still against him

some didnt like MON much but because he got decent results people were not anywhere near as vocal or in the numbers as is the case now.

peoples opinions will only change when his anti football changes and results change from 6 wins in 22 to something which would actually resemble something half decent.

so that tells you how i presume people who dont want him as managers views would change, please, tell me how a supporter of his would change their view of him?

what would it take?

relegation?

I'll be joining you for QPR.

I don't normally do midweek games-too much hassle, but there are signs that the team are trying to do things a bit mre positively, and i reckon that they could do with all the support that they can get.

UTV

which will probably be around the 28,000 mark in my opinion....

it's just the negatives of his time there far outweigh the positives.

This is Sha you are talking about here. Look back at their history. Whilst relegations are par for the course for that tin pot mob a 9th place finish is an excellent achievement and to win a cup is a remarkable one.

It should also be remembered that he got them promoted after one of the relegations. McLeish's record at Sha, given the size of that club, contains way more good than bad.

The negatives far outweigh the positives.

While a 9th place finish is very good for them, they were still extremely boring and scored few goals. What's alarming however is that they finished 9th one season then finished 9 places lower the next season and were subsequently relegated, all while playing the usual horrible McLeish brand of football. Also, he had more to spend than the likes of Martinez at Wigan and McCarthy at Wolves.

As for the cup win, yes that was a remarkable achievement but what must also be remembered is that they had a huge slice of luck. Aside from the obvious (that late gift of a goal in the final), they had a very easy road to the final. Before they played Arsenal the hardest team they had to face were an injury stricken Villa side who were on a poor run of form. While their luck in the cup doesn't take anything away from the achievement, it was certainly a one off and I wouldn't expect good managers to win a cup with Villa, let alone a bog standard one like McLeish.

Just what is it you see in him when taking his performance at SHA and his performance with us so far into account?

Before they played Arsenal the hardest team they had to face were an injury stricken Villa side who were on a poor run of form.

I disagree there... Petrov was the only player missing but we started with collins/dunne, downing, young, gabby... Villa were looking very dodgey at times last yr and if it wasn't for Lerner splashing out during jan on bent we could well have gone down, a luxury Blues didn't have when new owners came in and refused to back McLeishor publically support him. That game is a perfect example of why McLeish is a step up from Houllier.

Before they played Arsenal the hardest team they had to face were an injury stricken Villa side who were on a poor run of form.

I disagree there... Petrov was the only player missing but we started with collins/dunne, downing, young, gabby... Villa were looking very dodgey at times last yr and if it wasn't for Lerner splashing out during jan on bent we could well have gone down, a luxury Blues didn't have when new owners came in and refused to back McLeishor publically support him.

NRC was missing too. Those two were key for us last season and it's not surprise when they were out injured our form dipped.

I see your point though, but at that moment in time we weren't a hard team to play against.

That game is a perfect example of why McLeish is a step up from Houllier.
:|

Â