The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McLeish isn't trying to hold onto his job week by week because he knows he won't be sacked. At most other clubs he would've been sacked by now.

You really think he would have been sacked at most other clubs. I don't see it apart from maybe the top 6 or 7 clubs.

We finished 9th last season with a far superior squad, we are currently 11th. With haven't been in the relegation zone all season, we haven't gone through a string of half a dozen or so defeats on the trot. He has been here for 22 league games. Last season a manager with a far worse record after 22 games in charge ( 5 less points, 10 more goals conceded, 2 less goals scored ) kept his job so at the very least you'd expect that one with a better record and far less resources both in terms of personnel and transfer funds would also keep his.

I'm no fan of McLeish by the way but I'd struggle to think of any club outside the top 6 or 7 who would have sacked him 22 league games after appointing him.

So what happened to giving McLeish some time? I thought a manager deserved at least eighteen months to hone a team as they see fit. As has been correctly pointed out he has amassed the same number of wins as O'Neill and Houllier in less time.

I thought Villa played well against Wolves and carved out some better chances then they did. Also we should've taken the lead within the first minutes of the game and I envisage that they would have been on the receiving end of a severe scoreline if we had done so earlier in the game. Albrighton was lively, Gardner strong and Keane and Bent linked well. Therefore these are positives to look at.

We should try to be positive and at least give McLeish a chance. If he lets the deadwood go in the summer - Heskey, Beye, hopefully Collins and maybe Cuellar, Makoun he can focus on buying a decent defender or two and maybe another winger/attacker. I don't think we need too much just sorting out the defence!

The reason why I don't want McLeish to be given time is because of the poor job he did at Rangers and SHA after he time to build there. Not only were the league finishes bad at the end, but they played one of the worst football in existence and were left with average/below average players due to his laughable pull in the transfer market.

We did NOT play well against Wolves. Would you have had said the same thing if we lost 2-1 againt Wolves? No you wouldn't. Keane played well due to his 2 stunning goals, but overall, the team didn't play well enough. The defence was still a mess and we hardly created chances in the box. The same rubbish we've seen through Swansea, Liverpool etc, the only difference being is Keane is stepped up big time.

McLeish was given a chance by 2 former clubs and the fans got punished for being patient with him. I don't wanna see the same mistake here. He is known to have a horrible legacy, his league record is still suspect, nothing good will come out of this.

McLeish isn't trying to hold onto his job week by week because he knows he won't be sacked. At most other clubs he would've been sacked by now.

You really think he would have been sacked at most other clubs. I don't see it apart from maybe the top 6 or 7 clubs.

We finished 9th last season with a far superior squad, we are currently 11th. With haven't been in the relegation zone all season, we haven't gone through a string of half a dozen or so defeats on the trot. He has been here for 22 league games. Last season a manager with a far worse record after 22 games in charge ( 5 less points, 10 more goals conceded, 2 less goals scored ) kept his job so at the very least you'd expect that one with a better record and far less resources both in terms of personnel and transfer funds would also keep his.

I'm no fan of McLeish by the way but I'd struggle to think of any club outside the top 6 or 7 who would have sacked him 22 league games after appointing him.

I think many clubs would. As I said, it's not just about the results - it's the woeful performances as well. There have been so many of them.

That Wolves game I think should be put firmly in the 'Bolton Away' box. A game in which we looked OK in fits and starts but were outplayed for large sections of the game too.

McLeish's record against the top half of the table teams isn't great - and I would imagine bears a similar resemblance to his record with Blues last year.

In terms of whether we are under/over/just peforming, shouldn't the yardstick be the one given by the Chief Executive earlier in the season?

Faulkner has stated that he thinks we should qualify for Europe this year - so Alex it is over to you....

Cant help feeling people are looking for reasons to be positive and grasping at any small ray of hope.

And what exactly is wrong with this?

Nothing, some people are easily pleased and are happy to se their standards of expectation low.

Villa Park at the moment is like a graveyard and as much as I dislike this guy, you cant blame me for that. I said I wouldnt go the moment he was appointed and havent, plus I have no intention of going back until he has gone.

So how do you know that VP is 'like a graveyard'?

Because I watch every game online, just because I refuse to pay for the fool, doesnt mean I suddenly stopped being a supporter of the club.

That audio thing is amazing!! :D

While I couldn't argue with any of what you've written, there are two peope who are/were actually at the club and one of them has stated that Villa should qualify for the european competitions this season and the other said we were in the 4th , oops 5th to 9th bracked, 9th being the worst possible. We're now 11th.

So what happened to giving McLeish some time? I thought a manager deserved at least eighteen months to hone a team as they see fit. As has been correctly pointed out he has amassed the same number of wins as O'Neill and Houllier in less time.
I'd have said "scratched together" rather than "amassed", but otherwise agree with you despite a strong uneasy feeling.

Villa Park at the moment is like a graveyard and as much as I dislike this guy, you cant blame me for that. I said I wouldnt go the moment he was appointed and havent, plus I have no intention of going back until he has gone.

So how do you know that VP is 'like a graveyard'?

Because I watch every game online, just because I refuse to pay for the fool, doesnt mean I suddenly stopped being a supporter of the club.

That audio thing is amazing!! :D

If you think back to when you used to watch live football, and then you watched the highlights on TV later, the positioning of microphones can give a false impression as to atmosphere, or lack of it.

Granted VP can be a bit of a morgue at times, but then it has been like that for donkey's years anyway. Perhaps we are just in a period where we have more dead bodies around us

There have been some moments of raised excitement this season, and 'noise' from the crowd, notably West Brom, Norwich and Arsenal, so it's not all bad.

:winkold:

There is no pressure other than a small section? I think 88% on here wanted him out? 92% on another villa forum, how big does that crowd have to be to become big?

So the majority of what a couple of thousan posters on internet forums, if that? I realise the opinions on boards suc h as these are indicators of the general view but it's on those that really dislike him that can be arsed to say so online.

Until a significant number of people make their voices heard or vote with their feet there is no pressure. There is no indication anywhere that he's on the verge of being sacked, or hanging on week by week as it was put.

It takes him ages to just get 1 win and more than a few are on their way defending him. Yet when we lost against Swansea without much effort on their part, hardly anyone (if any) were defending him.

Now I know McLeish treats a win as an alien concept, but there's no need for fans getting over excited by 1 win every so often.

I think many clubs would. As I said, it's not just about the results - it's the woeful performances as well. There have been so many of them.

I would say the Chelsea result and to a lesser degree the Arsenal performance brought him a bit more time in the boardroom as the vultures were circling beforehand with out annual surrenders to top 6 teams.

He'll be here until the summer and if we finish the season strongly the start of next season aswell.

People keep on bringing up MON but the difference there is that he'd proven himself at least half decent in the Premier League. Also the football wasn't absolutely dire and he wasn't as negative as McLeish. Same goes for Houllier, although not that many we willing to give him a chance.

If you look at McLeish what has he done in the Premier League? He got SHA relegated twice in two seasons while playing the worst football in the league. THAT is why people didn't want him here and THAT is why many don't want to give him a chance. People seem to think that's it's because of where he came from but it's not.

It is but then again look back to MON's first season here and pretty sure he only had 6-7 league wins in the bank by the end of January.

Mind you there were people on here wanting him sacked at the time aswell.

MON inherited a shit squad and although I never particularly liked the manner in which he set up his teams, you couldn't accuse him of being negative. Especially not against the bigger sides.

McLeish has a quality squad at his disposal but his team are producing horrible, uninspiring football.

When O'Neill was struggling, there was still a general belief that we would improve. McLeish is so uninspiring it's difficult to see us going anywhere but backwards with him at the helm.

Â