The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

You gloss over whatever you want and no doubt we could waste our time doing this all night.

He got bringing Warnock on....absolutely correct for me. Kightly and Frimpong had been tearing us apart for long spells in the first half.

Warnock made Kightly look anonymous 2nd half and moving Clark into the middle took the edge of Frimpong as well.

With one substitution he made 4 tactical alterations and IMHO it worked.

I'm not convinced over McLeish because to me he lacks the motivational qualities of MON, but credit where it's due.

You make it sound as if he saw some tactical revelation. Clark was getting hammered (predictably I think), Gabby was sick. Would you have not made that change Julie?

As for Kightly, his service disappeared when Petrov took Frimpongs face off, not sure that Clark had much to do with that at all?

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy your win, for me it just means we are stuck with this useless git for even longer, meaning, we are going nowhere (which is what you have been preaching for long enough!)

First, it is our win.

Secondly, I think tour premise for the debate is wrong, as Lerner is not a man that will change the manager this season or the next season. He has given McLeish a three year contract with the mandate of getting costs down. That will not change even if we find ourselves at 13th or 14th place.

McLeish is not the problem. Lerner's ambitions after getting rid of O'Neill is the problem. McLeish just fit into that ambition.

Lerner never got rid of O'Neill.

Yawn!!

Do you want me to list the chances that Wolves wasted whilst McGinger sat on his hands for 30 minutes of the first half? Bet even you were pulling your jumper over you "Go McGinger" T Shirt at that point?

Squirming in your seat maybe?

Two things changed the game, Robbie Keanes two wonderstrikes and the sending off. As usual, we took advantage of what happened, we do not have the tactical nous to actually make things happen.

You gloss over whatever you want and no doubt we could waste our time doing this all night.

Enjoy your win, for me it just means we are stuck with this useless git for even longer, meaning, we are going nowhere (which is what you have been preaching for long enough!)

Its noises like this at VP that must make it a pleasure to play at!

First, it is our win.

Secondly, I think tour premise for the debate is wrong, as Lerner is not a man that will change the manager this season or the next season. He has given McLeish a three year contract with the mandate of getting costs down. That will not change even if we find ourselves at 13th or 14th place.

McLeish is not the problem. Lerner's ambitions after getting rid of O'Neill is the problem. McLeish just fit into that ambition.

Lerner never got rid of O'Neill.

If he did not, he is a piss poor businessman who paid O'Neill compensation after the tribunal.

It is a good win even if I do think certain things helped us.

But it's just a win, a rare win it what's been a poor season. It doesn't change our awful football, it doesn't change our pathetic ambition and I doubt it will really change our ever decreasing attendance.

It just sums up our midtable nothing club status. It's great to win, I was up and jumping listening to it on the radio and I can't wait to watch match of the day for once. This win however doesn't change my disappointment in the appointment of Mcleish and how I feel about the direction of the club right now.

Do you want me to list the chances that Wolves wasted whilst McGinger sat on his hands for 30 minutes of the first half? Bet even you were pulling your jumper over you "Go McGinger" T Shirt at that point?

Whilst we were squirming, I bet you were doing your best to hide your joy and your 'Go Wolves' t-shirt.

Don't worry mate, as Villa fans, WE will enjoy our win.

Do you know what Rob, your right, your a much better fan than me!

The fact I would like to see us try to progress even under financial constraints (ala Newcastle) or attempt to play something worthy of football (like Wigan) or even understand what our manager is attempting to achieve for his 1 million pounds a year puts me in a place far way below your league.

Of course, I delighted as Wolves showed up our management staff for being tactically naive in picking players out of position, sick players and failing to respond to us being totally overrun because they probably think you are not allowed to make substitutes in the first half.

Personally, I want to see us go somewhere. After 36 years of watching Villa, I understand that will need patience and vision. I dont expect us in the champions league this year, the next or the one or two after that.

What I expect is for us to sort out the shower of defensive shite we see every week, put in place a tactical plan and then adapt if it is not functioning. Cloughie said football is about putting right players in the right positions and motivating them, lets start with that.

Thats what I want as a Villa fan, and is probably why fans like yourself who take delight in the odd victory no matter how fortunate the manner and who are prepared to accept mid table mediocrity will always be better fans.

As for Kightly, his service disappeared when Petrov took Frimpongs face off, not sure that Clark had much to do with that at all?

I disagree I think Warnock shackled Kightly well second half. I thought Clark was much better in the middle of the park & made a difference.

Yawn!!

Squirming in your seat maybe?

Two things changed the game, Robbie Keanes two wonderstrikes and the sending off. As usual, we took advantage of what happened, we do not have the tactical nous to actually make things happen.

Its noises like this at VP that must make it a pleasure to play at!

If the football wasnt so dire, maybe you would bother your arse to find out!

Whilst we were squirming, I bet you were doing your best to hide your joy and your 'Go Wolves' t-shirt.

Don't worry mate, as Villa fans, WE will enjoy our win.

Do you know what Rob, your right, your a much better fan than me!

He never said he was a better fan than you though did he? And its you're.

we are playing really well away from home that is 6 unbeaten. I think at home the players are too nervous

Exactly... because IMHO there's too many fans down at VP more interested in finding something to moan about than support the team. Our away support is amazing - they were singing their hearts out today even when we were losing.

6 wins in 22 games

McLeish is brilliant etc

I genuinely dont know why im bothering with this but here goes.....

no one is saying Mcliesh is brilliant. No one is suggesting we havent got work today. Infact the most people have said really is that it was a good win.

The reason why it seems like we are giving such praise is because were debating against such unnecessary negativity that is frankly innacurate and not needed.

There is nothing wrong with saying that for 90 minutes today, the team (who we are all far from happy with) did their jobs well.

There is a such a chasm between our home form and our away form. We've got 11 points from our last 5 away games, but only 1 point from our last 5 home games. There's more to it than just a difference in support.

That said I will be the first to admit our home support is shit but our negative approach doesn't help things.

we are playing really well away from home that is 6 unbeaten. I think at home the players are too nervous

Exactly... because IMHO there's too many fans down at VP more interested in finding something to moan about than support the team. Our away support is amazing - they were singing their hearts out today even when we were losing.

That's an interesting view, Julie, and certainly one to consider.

However, can you or anyone explain to me why this season's entire record at home has been so poor? Especially when we might consider how Villa finished off at the end of last season (though Ash and Downing having since left does make a difference).

To have started poorly at VP and then only let it get worse is not what VP is about. These players are paid too much not to take responsibility - in the old days they would fight to get what they could out of a match, but now they appear to be pussy cats by comparison.

6 wins in 22 games

McLeish is brilliant etc

I genuinely dont know why im bothering with this but here goes.....

no one is saying Mcliesh is brilliant. No one is suggesting we havent got work today. Infact the most people have said really is that it was a good win.

The reason why it seems like we are giving such praise is because were debating against such unnecessary negativity that is frankly innacurate and not needed.

There is nothing wrong with saying that for 90 minutes today, the team (who we are all far from happy with) did their jobs well.

So for those that cant understand this concept, is McLeish shit or not?

Â