The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

On a related note, just seen this quote:

"The fans are calling on me to change this and that, but it's difficult for me if the boys can't make the passes and simple passes. That might be because of the way the games was going and they lost some spark."

I don't think it's because of the way the game was going. There were some passes that really should have been so easy to do, and individuals have to take responsibility.

But I'd argue that because we've been so focused on long-ball football this season, we can't suddenly decide in a game against Liverpool that now we're going to play a passing game. It's going to take a while to gel to that style. It's like McLeish reacted to the negative reaction to the ugly style we've seen so far, and expected immediate results. If the team are going to play a passing game, they need to do it consistently on the training pitch and on match days before it's going to pay dividends.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as has been said before, I dont think McLeish was solely responsible for a few of the signings at Birmingham

But so far we have seen three of his signings - Given has been a good one, but Hutton hasn't offered anything better than Luke Young would have, and N'Zogbia has just been pretty poor overall.

If he's getting time and some money, I'm sincerely hoping we get better results from other transfer targets.

Don't know what more he could have done today, picked best possible line-up, and went 4-4-2. Players have to shoulder responsibility, most of them are just not good enough.

How about he actually manages the team for once?

He keeps mentioning he will address the set plays in nearly every postmatch interview only to see the same shit in the next game happen.

Now either he is bullshitting that he will sort it out or he is incapable of managing.

This squad is very average but its not as shit as McCrap has it playing.

Good managers can get the best out of average players , bad managers can not.

Don't know what more he could have done today, picked best possible line-up, and went 4-4-2. Players have to shoulder responsibility, most of them are just not good enough.
He's doing a very shit job of motivating them. Players are also to blame but McLeish needs to go as well.

He keeps mentioning he will address the set plays in nearly every postmatch interview only to see the same shit in the next game happen.

Now either he is bullshitting that he will sort it out or he is incapable of managing.

This squad is very average but its not as shit as McLeish has it playing.

It's not his fault our back four are useless, and others that should be marking are half asleep. These are experience well paid footballers, they should know what to do, they don't need AM to tell them.

as has been said before, I dont think McLeish was solely responsible for a few of the signings at Birmingham

But so far we have seen three of his signings - Given has been a good one, but Hutton hasn't offered anything better than Luke Young would have, and N'Zogbia has just been pretty poor overall.

If he's getting time and some money, I'm sincerely hoping we get better results from other transfer targets.

I agree with the outlook on the 3 signings so far - Hutton's always been pretty poor apart from his time at Rangers, though my nan would be a decent right back in the SPL. Ultimately he'll be a poor signing I think, but every manager makes them - for every Cantona there is a Prunier. N'Zogbia will come good I think - he played well last week and was the one player who looked like he might do something today. One of the things McLeish did well at Birmingham was sign defensive players who fitted in well with how he wanted his team to defend (Carr, Johnson, Dann, Bowyer, Ferguson etc). I wouldnt describe any of our current defenders as remotely similar to any of those.

Collins plays shit every week and there are no consequences. Where is the motivation for him to play better? McLeish came in and right away he was up Collins and Dunne's arse for some reason. The defense is a joke, the midfield play scared or just watch the ball float over their heads and the attack is isolated.

Even if we had Ash Young and Downing, with these tactics we would still be playing like shit.

picked best possible line-up [\quote]

not really, he's become a broken record moaning about sloppy goals and then picks the 2 clowns at the back every week and can't spot the coincidence

plus the change to 4-5-1 in the 2nd half before changing it back 20 mins later suggests to me that he still doesn't know what to do with his squad, add to this his selection vs spurs and his mind boggling tactics vs utd and I can't help but be convinced he doesn't know what he's doing

and a few victories against piss poor teams and lucky goals against the likes of Norwich won't convince me otherwise, we've been poor all season, I think I've seen a good 45 minutes 3 times the rest has been utter garbage

Collins plays shit every week and there are no consequences. Where is the motivation for him to play better? McLeish came in and right away he was up Collins and Dunne's arse for some reason. The defense is a joke, the midfield play scared or just watch the ball float over their heads and the attack is isolated.

Even if we had Ash Young and Downing, with these tactics we would still be playing like shit.

Exactly. McLeish can't really help Collins, Warnock and Hutton being their useless selves but he can replace them yet he doesn't.

It's not his fault our back four are useless, and others that should be marking are half asleep. These are experience well paid footballers, they should know what to do, they don't need AM to tell them.

He signed Hutton.

its his decision to play Collins instead of Clark.

It is McLeish that keeps picking the same back four.

McLeish is on best part of £3 million a year to make such decisions. Its his job to manage them and if he can't get international footballers to defend a bloody set play correctly it is his fault.

It doesn't matter what good things Given has done, it doesn't changed the fact that he wouldn't have saved this game since he has not shown any ability to improve our defence vs set pieces nor would he have made the kind of once-in-a-season saves required to keep Liverpool's short range goals out. If you're going to say that Given would have changed the game, you're alleging that Guzan was at fault for the loss somehow. In what way was he? He just wasn't.

would question guzan for first goal he seemed to flap at ball when it came to him

He signed Hutton.

its his decision to play Collins instead of Clark.

It is McLeish that keeps picking the same back four.

McLeish is on best part of £3 million a year to make such decisions. Its his job to manage them and if he can't get international footballers to defend a bloody set play correctly it is his fault.

Fair point RE his selection of defenders. I'd have Clark at left-back, because Warnock is rubbish.

Clark at LB is an interesting one. He didn't do particularly well when he played in that position last season but he'd do pretty well to be worse than Warnock on current form. The guy simply cannot defend; so poor in the air, positionally and often goes to ground far too quickly.

I would fear that with Clark as a CB we would (somehow) be even more susceptible at set pieces. Clark isn't strong enough physically to deal with other team's aerial threats.

I really don't know the lad's best position.

IMO the whole team has a losing mentality? We go behind and try to defend the deficit! Pathetic!

We have 2 CB's in Cuellar and Clark who must be sitting on the bench/ in the stands thinking 'how shit do these boys have to play before I get my chance?'. We also have young players like Baker and Lichaj (I know he is only just back in training) who could cover for the full backs. Why doesn't he drop Collins and bring in Cuellar?

It doesn't matter what good things Given has done, it doesn't changed the fact that he wouldn't have saved this game since he has not shown any ability to improve our defence vs set pieces nor would he have made the kind of once-in-a-season saves required to keep Liverpool's short range goals out. If you're going to say that Given would have changed the game, you're alleging that Guzan was at fault for the loss somehow. In what way was he? He just wasn't.

would question guzan for first goal he seemed to flap at ball when it came to him

what? he made a good save on that, did all he could. it was a low whipped in corner that a liverpool player was allowed to redirect. delph i think was meant to be on that guy. guzan showed good reactions to get something on it considering the change of direction.

then on the loose ball there were 2 liverpool players unmarked on the edge of our 6 yard box. collins was yet again ball watching, and hutton and dunne seemed to be marking fresh air near the back post. on the second goal there were 3 villa players going for the ball, all beaten by skrtl. like on the first goal guzan was never in a position to come out and try and get it.

both goals yet again totally on the back 4. but its ok, because mcleish has said we will work on it in training (just like we worked on it after the man city game).

Warnock: Goes to ground early and often. On the rare occassions he's on his feet he is easily turned inside out.

Collins: Constantly drawn to the ball and away from his man. Often chooses the hoof instead of the easy pass, even when the hoof target is Bannan.

Hutton: Looks uncomfortable on the ball for a fullback when in his own half. Stands like a statue at corners and lacks the ability to cover when needed.

The only half decent one among them is Dunne, who is resigned to covering the other 3.

The simple fact is that 3 of them just aren't good enough - and we don't have adequate cover (though I would start Clark over Collins any day of the week). 3 managers now have had similar problems with much the same back line.

That said, AM is known for his defensive coaching abilities....

.... it's time to earn his pay.

Â