Prometheus - Alien prequel..or is it..

NowDoINotLikeThat

The thing is, I can't see how they can really fit more films between Prometheus and Alien.

Spoilers below

You see a Xenomorph right at the end. The ship they find in Alien has crashed. The Jockey is in there, dead. What else is there to explain? I assumed the Xenomorph goes onto lay the eggs in the ship (can it do that?) so surely that sets up the start of Alien? You can't really do anything on that planet without messing up the setup, can you?

Genuine question.

Couple of things in the plot that I didn't get or might have missed.

How did Holloway get infected? Did he touch something when they first went into the mountain/cave thing?

When they do first go in there, I'm sure David takes one of the capsules they find. What happens to that? Surely I didn't switch off for long enough to miss whatever happens to it?

Ridley Scott has said that Prometheus is 3 films away from the events in the original Alien - its basically the Phantom Menace. So expect another film of mostly dross before he pulls it together(ish) for the 3rd film.

I assume those films will be set away from the planet they were on in Prometheus then. As I said, I can't really see how they can do anything on there without altering the setup.

Obviously that won't necessarily stop it.

Didn't James Cameron pipe up saying he'd make one of the films in between too?

I think they are going to have to be. Scott was clear that the planet in Prometheus was not the same as the one in Alien, but is in the same galaxy.

I think Cameron did say something like that - it would be interesting to see what happens. Listening to Scott's total distain for the Aliens V Predator films was quite amusing as well.

The thing is, I can't see how they can really fit more films between Prometheus and Alien.

Spoilers below

You see a Xenomorph right at the end. The ship they find in Alien has crashed. The Jockey is in there, dead. What else is there to explain? I assumed the Xenomorph goes onto lay the eggs in the ship (can it do that?) so surely that sets up the start of Alien? You can't really do anything on that planet without messing up the setup, can you?

Genuine question.

Alien is not set on the same planet as Prometheus. Alien/Aliens is set on LV-426, and Prometheus is set on LV-223. This is established in the Prometheus, but it's a blink and you'll miss it moment.

Spoilers below

Genuine question.

Prometheus and Alien are set on different planets.

EDIT: beaten to it.

I watched it in the cinema and rewatched again from the rip, I think I need to see it again though, there's a lot of stuff in the film which asks more questions but it's hard to know if that's intentional or just lazy scripting etc...

Something else that springs to mind is right at the end David says to shaw I know we haven't seen eye to eye but I am your only chance to get off this planet, what exactly did he mean by that, shaw didn't know he infected holloway and I don't recall them having an argument prior to that.

More spoilers

The two bits that I was talking about before where it was emotionless because it just happened.

Holloway getting burnt to death. I feel like I should have been really emotionally involved in that. But in reality, I just thought "That was weird" and moved on with my life.

Same with Idris and co kamikaziing it into the other ship. Seems like a huge decision to commit suicide, but it was just like "meh, let's do this" and no one, including me, seemed all that bothered by it.

I think David and Shaw fell out over her 'pregnancy'.

Are you saying that she knew it was him or did he just deduce that it was him because weyland turned up pretty soon after holloway became infected.

I don't think she knew David was responsible for infecting Holloway. David started acting weird when she was preggers and ending up tranquilising her, so she would be a little annoyed with him.

More spoilers

The two bits that I was talking about before where it was emotionless because it just happened.

Holloway getting burnt to death. I feel like I should have been really emotionally involved in that. But in reality, I just thought "That was weird" and moved on with my life.

Same with Idris and co kamikaziing it into the other ship. Seems like a huge decision to commit suicide, but it was just like "meh, let's do this" and no one, including me, seemed all that bothered by it.

Yeah I totally agree with that to be honest, the film could definitely have Dow with an extra 20 mins or so to develop the characters a bit more so you cared about them but it really seemed as if the humans were secondary to the bigger picture which I can sort of understand, I guess the original alien was sort of the opposite.

More spoilers

Yeah I totally agree with that to be honest, the film could definitely have Dow with an extra 20 mins or so to develop the characters a bit more so you cared about them but it really seemed as if the humans were secondary to the bigger picture which I can sort of understand, I guess the original alien was sort of the opposite.

Yeah, by far the worst moments in the film as far as I remember - unlike others I havent seen it since it was released in the cinema, so other worse bits I may have forgotten. Not that I hated it though, I quite liked it.

As for an extra 20 minutes for +characterisation. Sod that, man. They were horrible characters with zero potential, they would have to be replaced and the whole film refilmed with new chartacters in their place to make those scenes more meaningful.

I don't get how they were so comfortable with giving their lives away in the kamikaze attack

They seemed so happy to do it

Surely it would be human nature to GTFO out of there and not smile at each other as they are about to collide with a ship travelling at 10k mph?

That was my point.

Them doing it is fine. but at least build it up as the massive huge decision that it is.

They were so casual about it that I kept thinking they were going to get out somehow right up until the ship was completely destroyed.

Â