Google+ Thread

darrenm

Found a payg deal that doesn't force you to top up regularly. The only thing I have to do to keep it going is to make a call or send a text once a year. Looks ideal for these types of services.

aaaarrggghhh, see what you **** made me do, caving in already :(

• Like 2

Google are starting to really piss me off. I'm not interested in social networks, I don't want a google+ account. I have to have one to comment on youtube videos now, which is something I feel they've been pushing me into for a while. They're really pushing google+ but it's pushing me away.

• Like 3

I'm in the same boat as Kingfisher. If you want to use the service, great, I'm sure it's awesome.

If you don't, it sucks that they constantly push it in your face, try to force you to use your real name, and if you refuse, they stop you from using functionality on their products that you could use before G+ existed.

I've started using duckduckgo, I've deleted my Google account, and I decided to host my own email and drive/dropbox style file sync using OwnCloud.

Now I just need a decent Android alternative. Hopefully Ubuntu or Firefox OS will become reasonably mature over the next couple of years.

Edited by Davkaus

Google are starting to really piss me off. I'm not interested in social networks, I don't want a google+ account. I have to have one to comment on youtube videos now, which is something I feel they've been pushing me into for a while. They're really pushing google+ but it's pushing me away.

I'm curious why you think that commenting on Youtube isn't a social activity.

Maybe you can place Youtube in the social network group, but when people were able to comment on videos previously, and now they force you to have a G+ account, it's bound to piss some people off, even if it's the minority. Especially when they try to make you use your real name.

Same goes for the Play store. Why do I have to use my real name to leave a review of an app?

A few years ago, people recognised correctly that it wasn't necessarily a good idea to use your real name online, and that you should never reveal personal information on the internet. Now the likes of Facebook and Google try to make you. It's not an idea that I'm comfortable with.

I see your point, and obviously you have the choice not to use their services. I'm not clear why using your real name is a risk though. You need to choose your suppliers on the basis that they don't authenticate you using publicly available credentials, or stupid "what was the name of your first pet?" questions. (I hope that people reading in this forum would never put real answers to these questions.)

As long as you do that screening then using your name isn't a risk. Otherwise how would celebrities ever get anything done? If social sites don't have your real name and you defame someone, then the only remedy for the victim is against the site. I suspect that one day VT or it's successors will have to go the same way, or go private.

Davkaus conveyed my thought processes perfectly with regard to social networking and youtube, and G+'s places within in that.

I think there's a privacy issue, it just feels all to connected for me - gmail, G+, youtube... I'm uncomfortable with that, it's another step and one too far for me, to be forced to link a G+ account to carry on using youtube services.

Davkaus conveyed my thought processes perfectly with regard to social networking and youtube, and G+'s places within in that.

I think there's a privacy issue, it just feels all to connected for me - gmail, G+, youtube... I'm uncomfortable with that, it's another step and one too far for me, to be forced to link a G+ account to carry on using youtube services.

You're aware that in all probability Google connected your youtube activity to your Gmail (and to pretty much every other site on the Internet...)?

You're aware that in all probability Google connected your youtube activity to your Gmail (and to pretty much every other site on the Internet...)?

There's a difference between Google knowing it internally for their purposes, and it being public. There are millions of people who have every idiotic comment they made on Youtube videos under a pseudonym now tied retrospectively to their real name. In an age where it's common for employers to check up on the online activity of potential hires.

You could, as the Rev suggests just use a pseudonym, though it is of course a violation of Google's terms of service. They're not banning anyone for it, yet, so maybe it's not a huge problem. Can you use a false name on G+ and keep your actual name on your Gmail account, though?

Yeah, I'm not tech savvy anymore, the whole internets is moving faster than I care to keep up with it. Davkaus raises concerns I have, more eloquently than I have.

I was going to sign up to G+ with a false name but, it's linked to my email and youtube and I literally only ever browse on a phone, what information is presented on the main site? As opposed to the mobile site. Then there was the big, before you sign up you must agree to googles privacy policy. I've never really been that concerned about privacy, but something about the way google are pushing people into using all of their services and linking them just doesn't sit right with me.

I was going to sign up to G+ with a false name but, it's linked to my email and youtube and I literally only ever browse on a phone, what information is presented on the main site? As opposed to the mobile site. Then there was the big, before you sign up you must agree to googles privacy policy. I've never really been that concerned about privacy, but something about the way google are pushing people into using all of their services and linking them just doesn't sit right with me.

Do you understand that these are Google's toys and if you want to play then they set the price. As long as you aren't required to use the services I don't understand why you are concerned. No-one is making you use them.

For me, I think it's a reasonable price. I'm aware that Google track everything I do anyway and as long as their business model means that they need to keep the data secure, I'm happy. I rarely use facebook now as I don't understand how they can make money without abusing (rather than using) my personal data.

I'm comfortable where I've set my threshold and I understand Davkaus's position (it used to be mine). I don't understand yours. You want to use these services, but don't want to pay the price set by their owner. Davkaus is saying, "I'm not going to eat in your restaurant", you seem to be saying, "I want to eat in your restaurant but I don't want a bill". Do you think others should provide these things for free?

• Like 1

Â