Google+ Thread

darrenm

I was going to sign up to G+ with a false name but, it's linked to my email and youtube and I literally only ever browse on a phone, what information is presented on the main site? As opposed to the mobile site. Then there was the big, before you sign up you must agree to googles privacy policy. I've never really been that concerned about privacy, but something about the way google are pushing people into using all of their services and linking them just doesn't sit right with me.
Do you understand that these are Google's toys and if you want to play then they set the price. As long as you aren't required to use the services I don't understand why you are concerned. No-one is making you use them. For me, I think it's a reasonable price. I'm aware that Google track everything I do anyway and as long as their business model means that they need to keep the data secure, I'm happy. I rarely use facebook now as I don't understand how they can make money without abusing (rather than using) my personal data. I'm comfortable where I've set my threshold and I understand Davkaus's position (it used to be mine). I don't understand yours. You want to use these services, but don't want to pay the price set by their owner. Davkaus is saying, "I'm not going to eat in your restaurant", you seem to be saying, "I want to eat in your restaurant but I don't want a bill". Do you think others should provide these things for free?
No, I'm simply saying that I would like a bit more flexibility in their platform. I didn't say I'd continue to eat in their restaurant either, what I am saying is, they might lose a customer. I think unnecessarily, because I don't like having to order a three course meal when all I want is the Hors d'oeuvre. I don't think YT should be free, but it has loads of adverts, I don't mind that. I can't quite understand which part of my posts suggest to you my expectation is for a free service. Edited by Kingfisher

Because the cost of access is you and your personal details, not viewing the ads. The ads are to pay Google's bills, not yours.

When a service is "free" to you, then you are the product of that service. Google can get more value from you if it knows you better, therefore they continue to integrate their services. This is also the reason they need to keep this data secure. Their business model breaks if they sell/share/leak your data.

• Like 1

The cost of access should be me viewing the ads, it shouldn't have to be my personal details, that's the bill as they set it, and I don't like it. That is my view, which is not me saying I want it for free.

How much of my personal details they already have, I'm unsure of to be honest. But I won't willingly give any over, if I can help it.

But their business model is on personalised ads.  By targeting you specifically (gender, age, interests) they can get more for an advert because they can put advertisers in contact with people who might actually be interested in their products. 

I'm more concerned about the likes of gocompare and phones4u. I used both sites to purchase goods and both sites have sold my data to third parties who call me every day. I've blocked about 30 phone numbers from those two. That has had an intrusive impact in my life, using google products, has more of a passive impact. Targeted ads don't annoy me nearly as much.

• 4 weeks later...

I found this interesting http://www.newyorker.com/sandbox/infographics/api/

It shows how much information each major socially centred site gives away about you to 3rd parties.

Needless to say, Facebook gives many more details away than anyone else.

Obviously this doesn't show what information Google or anyone else knows about you internally, but they kind of have to have that info to provide their services to you.

Â