Gym Routine

olboydave

I've made a huge mistake.

MyProtein.com had a sale on "American" flavours of protein.

So I veered fro my usual strawberry cream and went for Peanut Butter.

It's horrible. Like, really horrible. I bought 2.5kg of the stuff.

Idiot.

MyProtein flavours seem to have really gone down hill this past year or so. They always taste really "chemically" to me and leave a bit of a nasty after taste. Their chocolate flavours have almost no taste to them anymore. My girlfriend bought the Cinnamon Danish flavour and it tastes like shit. It's like a gingerbread flavour shake [emoji13].

The strawberry cream that I usually get is lovely. I use it on porridge to sweeten it up instead of he much less healthy alternative of sugar. It's lovely stuff.

But this peanut butter is rank. No chance will that be going on my porridge.

Other option would be to make some flapjacks or something with it.

I did that with some before and it worked quite well. Oats and peanut butter sounds like a good combination. You can use apple juice rather than golden syrup as a healthier alternative.

Because I cook three meals a day. I don't really want to cook another one!

A shake way easier to get my protein and calories up.

It's really not that big of a deal :) I'll just man up and drink it. I usually down them anyway so I'll just hold my nose :D

• Like 1

Because I cook three meals a day. I don't really want to cook another one!

A shake way easier to get my protein and calories up.

It's really not that big of a deal :) I'll just man up and drink it. I usually down them anyway so I'll just hold my nose :D

Much better idea princess. ;)

I think the salted caramel was my favourite. Absolutely no taste of salt in there at all but I think they made it slightly less sweet than their usual concoction.

I bought the salted caramel last time and thought it tasted really bland... Just like drinking beige-coloured water. But then I've suspected for a while that there might be something up with my taste buds! Cookies and cream flavour tastes like I'm drinking pure sweetener. Gross.

Whey is actually a really good source of protein but the main reason I get it is convenience and cost. It saves me buying and making another meal and I can stir it into my Greek yoghurt in the mornings to make it taste good!

I think the salted caramel was my favourite. Absolutely no taste of salt in there at all but I think they made it slightly less sweet than their usual concoction.

I bought the salted caramel last time and thought it tasted really bland... Just like drinking beige-coloured water. But then I've suspected for a while that there might be something up with my taste buds! Cookies and cream flavour tastes like I'm drinking pure sweetener. Gross.

Whey is actually a really good source of protein but the main reason I get it is convenience and cost. It saves me buying and making another meal and I can stir it into my Greek yoghurt in the mornings to make it taste good!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it tasted good. It was just better than the majority of the stuff i've got from there.

Hands down to this day the Lemon Cheesecake was the worst. Tasted of some disgusting medicine I remember as a kid. Absolutely vile.

As I said, If you want to actually enjoy your protein shakes I think the BSN Chocolate Milkshake is the way to go.

Back to training and a bit of a geeky post!

I've mentioned the push/pull ratio a number of times on here and its relation to shoulder health. I really became aware of it from reading some stuff by Joe Defranco. I was listening to his podcast last week where he discussed the issue and he provided a very easy assessment to check for imbalances. Simply stand up straight, totally relaxed. Look down at your hands and note their position in relation to your torso. If they fall naturally at your sides then everything is fine. However, if they fall in front of you, particularly if your thumbs are facing each other, then you are internally rotated and need to do less pressing/more pulling. You will notice loads of bros at the gym with their hands right in front of their legs because they only work the mirror muscles and have tight pecs and a weak upper back.

I did the test and the results differed depending on the time of day, ranging from fine to slightly internally rotated first thing in the morning. My pull/push ratio is higher than 2:1 so I was surprised but Defranco pointed out that most daily and sporting activities are performed anteriorly and they all contribute to the balance. I've added even more band pull-aparts and YWT holds into my training to try and fix it and have noticed a difference already.

Interestingly, he pointed out that pulldowns and pull-ups, despite their names, don't contribute towards the pulling total as they are internal rotators. If anything, they increase the need to do more horizontal pulling.

Interestingly, it's common to notice an increase in pushing strength after focusing on upper back for a while. I've certainly noticed the difference and managed to hit 150kg for 6 this week. I've also developed a bit of a "shelf" on my upper back this year which is cool :).

• Like 4

Â