Gym Routine

olboydave

Ok, I tried the unofficial db bench press challenge. Did 1 set of 8 reps at 35kgs, last few reps were ropey as **** so I thought I better not go for a second set

The concept of lifting as heavy as JB did is mind boggling to me!

Edited by sexbelowsound

I went off sweet potato for ages but have been enjoying it mashed with a bit of feta crumbled over it lately.

Good old white potatoes are king for me though. So much nicer.

Ok, I tried the unofficial db bench press challenge. Did 1 set of 8 reps at 35kgs, last few reps were ropey as **** so I thought I better not go for a second set

I honestly think that a lot of it is to do with your training environment. When I used to train at a commercial gym in London, I thought I was the world's strongest man, even though I'd rarely press the 50s and hadn't dead lifted 200, just because of the other people training there. Since moving to a more hardcore gym where the weights go much higher and I've seen what other guys are lifting and how hard they train, it's spurred me on I guess. And I suppose I've just learnt more about getting stronger, too. That said, I still can't say where DB press strength has come from. I didn't consciously work at it. One day everything just felt too light and I just kept ramping the weight. I started pressing on the GVT at 47.5kg. I finished it last week and happy to post my final phase log if anyone is interested.

I honestly think that a lot of it is to do with your training environment. When I used to train at a commercial gym in London, I thought I was the world's strongest man, even though I'd rarely press the 50s and hadn't dead lifted 200, just because of the other people training there. Since moving to a more hardcore gym where the weights go much higher and I've seen what other guys are lifting and how hard they train, it's spurred me on I guess. And I suppose I've just learnt more about getting stronger, too. That said, I still can't say where DB press strength has come from. I didn't consciously work at it. One day everything just felt too light and I just kept ramping the weight. I started pressing on the GVT at 47.5kg. I finished it last week and happy to post my final phase log if anyone is interested.

Always interested. This thread is probably my favourite on VT, having a small group of knowledgable people around to learn from is excellent!

How long has everyone been lifting for?

Edited by sexbelowsound

I've been properly lifting for about 2 and a half years. Maybe 3 ish.

Before that I was on and off at the gym but didn't really know what I was doing.

Haven't made as much progress as I'd have liked in the 3 years, partly down to a lack of dedication to diet, particularly during bulks, and partly down to the fact that I had a lot of fat to get rid of when I started.

Getting there though!

Since moving to a more hardcore gym where the weights go much higher and I've seen what other guys are lifting.....

Is this a hardcore gym in London?

I've copied the sixth and final phase of the advanced GVT routine (and some thoughts on the program) below. I've put it in spoiler tags to save anyone who can't be arsed scrolling through it!

The weights in this phase are 20%+ higher than the ones I started on in phase 1. Although I think I started too light. I kept the split exactly the same as prescribed but changed some exercises based on personal preference e.g., incline EZ rows for barbell rows. All exercises performed at a 40X0 tempo, unless stated otherwise.

Anyway:

Day 1: Chest/back

1A Flat DB press - 65kg dumbbells - 10 sets x 3

1B Incline EZ bar row 100kg - 10 x 3

2A Supinated pull-up +15kg - 3 x 8

2B DB fly 37.5kg - 3 x 8

Day 2: Legs

1A DB Bulgarian split squat - 40kg DBs - 10 x 3

1B DB straight leg deadlift - 55kg DBs - 10 x 3

2A Hack squat 160kg - 3 x 8

2B Barbell hip thrust 100kg - 3 x 8

Day 3: off

Day 4: Arms/shoulders 30X0

1A Close-grip bench press 120kg - 10 x 3

1B Incline DB curl 25kg DBs - 10 x 3

2A Dead-stop lateral raise 12.5kg DBs - 3 x 8

2B Reverse curl 35kg - 3 x 8

Day 5 off

Day 6: Chest/back

1A Incline bench press 120kg - 10 x 3

1B One-arm DB row 60kg - 10 x 3

2A Neutral close-grip pull-ups +15kg - 3 x 8

2B Weighted dips +40kg - 3 x 8

Day 7: Legs

1A Front squat (clean grip, heels elevated) 105kg - 10 x 3

1B Lying leg curl (toes out) 80kg - 10 x 3

2A Glute ham raise 3 x 8

2B Backwards prowler pull - 60 yards x 3

Day 8: off

Day 9: Arms/shoulders 30X0

1A Decline close-grip bench press 120kg - 10 x 3

1B EZ curl 50kg - 10 x 3

2A Incline lateral raise 12.5kg - 3 x 8

2B DB front hammer curls 25kg DBs - 3 x 8

I Supplemented this with some extra upper back (high-rep band pull aparts) and core work (rollouts and Pallof presses, mainly) at the end of every other workout.

I'm undecided about the program. On the one hand, it was great to mix things up and push myself out of my comfort zone. I really enjoyed the low reps and not having to stress about planning my own training. I hadn't done antagonistic pairings for a while and forgot how effective they are. I never trained to failure and a few people commented that I was looking bigger. However, it got boring pretty fast (like this post I'm guessing) and the slow eccentrics and repetitive movements were killers on the joints for the first few weeks. Contrary to what others said, I didn't feel as if I gained much muscle. However, my diet and recovery were probably only about 80% of what they should've been. It was supposed to take 55 days but I took 67 as gym closure and social life (6 nations mainly) got in the way. Would probably recommend it. Maybe stick to the standard 10x10 version, though.

Edited by JB
  • Like 2

Since moving to a more hardcore gym where the weights go much higher and I've seen what other guys are lifting.....

Sadly not. Had to move away. To bloody Cardiff. Struggled to find hardcore places in London but they do exist. Somewhere.

I've been lifting on and off nearly 4 years. Last year and a half have been tough, what with the back problems and building a business. I'm quite lucky though, I get my strength back quick.

Have never been truly happy, like most I suppose. But I've had an epiphany recently, I'll be more than happy being back to where I was a year ago. Going 3/4 times a week, eating well, feeling strong and looking sharp, no stress. I want it to be fun again.

I've been going to the gym five days a week for the last 7 years but I'd say I've never really known what I'm doing but pick things up here and there from stuff you read and threads like this.

Good example of my naivety when it comes to the gym I never deadlifted or squatted until about six months ago because I feared the exercises due to years of lower back issues. Within a few weeks of doing them all the issues went away. Stupid in hindsight especially bearing in mind that I tried so many other things to sort it Chiro, physio, regular stretching etc.

I tend to change goals fairly regularly, to train for specific events or sports. I haven't ever really had the motivation to truly move through the weights, like SBS 65kg dbs is mind boggling to me I've never even seen a weight that big.

Edited by villaglint

Sadly not. Had to move away. To bloody Cardiff. Struggled to find hardcore places in London but they do exist. Somewhere.

I've found two since I've been here. Soho gym in Clapham, although part of a larger chain, is pretty hardcore and you get some serious weight thrown around in there.

Physical Culture in Putney. It's quite small, but it's so well equipped. You get a lot of people in there who like to lift properly - there's always plenty of squatting, deadlifting etc going on. It's probably the best gym I've trained at since Ironworks in Birmingham.

I lived in Putney actually and checked out Physical Culture when I first moved there. Not sure if they've upgraded things since but I thought it was just too small and there was barely enough room for one person to dead lift at a time.

It is certainly compact that's for sure; I'd say you can have two (maybe three) people deadlifting at the same time. The owner limits the amount of memberships he sells, though, so it's generally workable. You do get occasions when it's a bit too busy, but usually it's fine. Shame you didn't give it a chance mate.

Where did you train whilst living in Putney?

Yeah, I regret it. Just round the corner from my house, too.

I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I trained in Esporta/Virgin Active in Wimbledon. It was convenient for work (at first) and pretty much the only place I could find with relatively heavy weight.

I trained at Virgin Active for 18 months.

It was fine to be honest.

Not hardcore, obviously. And they had a massive focus on families which pissed me off because it meant that the weekends were massively busy with kids' swimming classes and such like.

But there was a good amount of real lifters who used it and the equipment was fine, albeit not very plentiful.

Awesome back session tonight. Focused on vertical pulls and rear delts. Will do a more row-y session with my chest later in the week.

1 Wide/neutral grip pull-ups +15kg - 5x5

2A Lat pulldown 82.5kg x 11,11,10,10

2B Standing high row 50kg x 12,12,12,12

(Triple dropset after final set of each)

3A DB shrugs (5 second holds) 50kg x 8,8,8,8

3B Reverse flyes 20kg x 15,15,15,15

3C Reverse fly hold 12.5kg x 30 secs

Finished off with a bit of cheeky biceps similar to what I posted a day or two ago.

I only found out the other day that Sweet Potatoes were in fact not potatoes.....

Tbf, with a name like 'sweet potato', you'd be forgiven for thinking they were a potato.

I've recently starting hitting the gym again for the first time in about a year, and in a big way. Recently moved to Dubai and the amount of time I'm spending with my top off is worrying at best.

Edited by Spoony

Â