Gym Routine

olboydave

Is there a better time to exercise or does it not matter? 

I'm just doing cardio currently (25km on an exercise bike 5/6 times a week) and I do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Was just wondering if I should be doing after I've eaten all my food for the day or at least when I've had some.

What are your goals? If you're trying to lose fat then doing low intensity work before eating in the morning is ideal IMO. Your insulin levels will be at their lowest.

Back in the gym after taking the summer off (that's the irish in me).

Feel immensely healthier after just a week, added more cardio, got the diet back on track and sleeping well.

Whats not to like!

I'm just doing cardio currently (25km on an exercise bike 5/6 times a week) and I do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Was just wondering if I should be doing after I've eaten all my food for the day or at least when I've had some.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter.

There's plenty of "science" around all sorts of approaches.

First thing in the morning before breakfast is a long touted "ideal" for fat burning. But I'm not sure there's ever been a study to back it up.

Personally, I do cardio after I lift, and I use HIIT for short sessions. Seems to be effective as long as I have my diet in check.

As long as your burning calories I wouldn't overthink it. If you're doing 25k 5 or 6 times a week then it really doesn't matter when you do it to be honest. If you're eating right then fat should be dropping off you.

• Like 1

First thing in the morning before breakfast is a long touted "ideal" for fat burning. But I'm not sure there's ever been a study to back it up.

First thing in the morning isn't ideal for all cardio, just low intensity AFAIK. I think the opposite is ideal for HIT. Eating before high intensity work results in considerably higher EPOC.

The only negatives with HIT are that it's hard work and it takes more time to recover from. The second one doesn't really matter if you don't do 10+ hrs/wk of mildly intense excercise and the first one doesn't matter if you're not a lazy bastard like me.

Do it at whatever time suits you. The minimal benefit from training at what may be considered an optimum time is really not going to make a difference to anyone but those who are the top end and looking at every tiny detail to be an elite athlete/bodybuilder.

You are far more likely to stick to a regular training regime if you do it at a time that suits your lifestyle/other commitments.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

Do it at whatever time suits you. The minimal benefit from training at what may be considered an optimum time is really not going to make a difference to anyone but those who are the top end and looking at every tiny detail to be an elite athlete/bodybuilder.

You are far more likely to stick to a regular training regime if you do it at a time that suits your lifestyle/other commitments.

In the most general sense I agree with your point about fitting it around your life to make it more likely you'll keep it up but I don't agree that its "not going to make a difference to anyone" except elite athletes. The level that elite athletes operate on is far beyond that of someone looking to shed fat, so this debate isn't particularly relevant to them and elite bodybuilders are on such a range of PEDs that they can't really be used as a measuring stick either.

Maybe it's because I've become obsessed with marginal gains but to me it seems obvious that anyone who trains consistently for an extended period of time would benefit from a small agvantage from every training session. The detail that elite athletes go to is far beyond the scope of LSD with low insulin and lift with full glycogen.

This goes with what I've inferred milfner's lifestyle to be like (someone motivated enough to train early in the morning combined with the amount of free time a student has) meaning it would be realistic for him to maintain his current training plan instead of one where he trains LSD directly after eating if he's going to gain a small advantage from every session in the pursuit of his goals. Especially when the question he asked was would it be "better" for him to do it after eating, the answer is no. Obviously if he was a parent working long hours then his realistically achievable training regime would be different.

Things like IIFYM and other easy to maintain plans are fine but their existence doesn't mean there aren't better alternatives and when he's accidentally training well already ;) it's surely better that he sticks with that.

Sorry for tldr and any preachiness.

First thing in the morning isn't ideal for all cardio, just low intensity AFAIK. I think the opposite is ideal for HIT. Eating before high intensity work results in considerably higher EPOC.

The only negatives with HIT are that it's hard work and it takes more time to recover from. The second one doesn't really matter if you don't do 10+ hrs/wk of mildly intense excercise and the first one doesn't matter if you're not a lazy bastard like me.

EPOC?

I thought HIT on an empty stomach uses fat scores for energy?

EPOC?

EPOC is excess post exercise oxygen consumption. In the fat burning context its basically the elevation of your BMR for a period after intense exercise. Eating before HIT increases the size of this elevation.

HIT in a fasted state not only results in lower EPOC, it also hinders your performance when doing the exercise.

EPOC?

EPOC is excess post exercise oxygen consumption. In the fat burning context its basically the elevation of your BMR for a period after intense exercise. Eating before HIT increases the size of this elevation.

HIT in a fasted state not only results in lower EPOC, it also hinders your performance when doing the exercise.

But wouldn't the majority of calories burned be just the carbs from the food you ate? I'm just thinking from a purely fat loss perspective?

I mean how much food are we talking, what type and how long before a session of let says 20 min sprints?

The idea is that if your total daily caloric intake is the same either way and the only variable is when you eat relative to your HIT, then eating before means you are able to output a higher workload and your EPOC is higher, both of which mean more total calories burned.

Yes, technically you'll burn more fat during the workout if you've fasted beforehand, but as I say you'll use less calories in total and if you eat the same amount over the course of the day then the net amount of fat lost will be less.

• Like 1

I don't like the idea of a gym, so I've never been. But I'm starting to get a bit of a belly, and think it's time to up my fitness routine. I currently go for the occasional run and play squash roughly once a week. If I can be bothered, I'm going to start doing some sit-ups and some little weights that I have at home too.

I don't like the idea of a gym, so I've never been. But I'm starting to get a bit of a belly, and think it's time to up my fitness routine. I currently go for the occasional run and play squash roughly once a week. If I can be bothered, I'm going to start doing some sit-ups and some little weights that I have at home too.

what about a gym don't you like?

In terms of your goals. Sort your diet out.

You can do sit ups all day every day but they won't do jack to lose your belly.

The best work for losing weight is done in the kitchen.

• Like 1

Â