What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

14 hours ago, Xann said:

R-7156185-1434984618-8492.jpg.6ba607b071fd37147478b8c1b419da0e.jpg

Popol Vuh - 'Coeur De Verre' OST

Popul Vuh were on the radio this morning, so they were already in my head for listening to whilst I'm ploughing through data, so I put this on as Krautrock / Soundtrack is ticking boxes. Also seems to be a few reasonably cheap copies on Discogs in the UK so it may go on my want list

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Popul Vuh were on the radio this morning, so they were already in my head for listening to whilst I'm ploughing through data, so I put this on as Krautrock / Soundtrack is ticking boxes. Also seems to be a few reasonably cheap copies on Discogs in the UK so it may go on my want list

If you're starting from zero, have a streaming session with their catalogue, cos there's this now...

R-13537930-1556723664-8218.jpg.ab85662f019f9888d9b41a7ccb39f67e.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Xann said:

If you're starting from zero,

Not really but I own odd tracks on compilations only. Having most of the Can / Neu! that I want to own it was time to move onto another so between you and the radio this morning providing nudges today I'm listening to PV. That comp will also help

The Soundtrack album's guitar work reminds me very much of Brum's own Lawrence's first Felt album Crumbling the Antiseptic Beauty from 1982

When this sountrack finishes I'll move on to that compilation

Much appreciated!

EDIT: Where is that streaming btw? Not on Spoty or Bandcamp

• Thanks 1

I don't want to bring down the tone of this thread, but I'm experiencing a bit of a goth music renaissance - much to the annoyance of my family (which is why I treated myself to some new headphones). I'm listening to Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium at the moment.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Not a full album but a 10" 8 track compilation on Virgin from 1978

Called Guillotine, I'm not sure if this label sampler was intended as a series, it has all the hallmarks of it but there were no more

Some absolutely classic tracks on this though. Poet and the Roots is Linton Kwezei Johnson. The track by The Table was the track that Boy Azooga covered and got them a much higher profile. Rocky Erickson was the singer in the 13th Floor Elevators and the Penetration track is a classic teen-angst anthem

The Motors–    You Beat The Hell Outta Me
    Penetration–    Don't Dictate
    The Table–    Do The Standing Still (Classics Illustrated)
    Avant Gardener–    Strange Gurl In Clothes
    XTC–    Traffic Light Rock
    Roky Erickson–    Bermuda
    Poet And The Roots–    All Wi Doin' Is Defendin'
    X-Ray Spex–    Oh Bondage Up Yours!

LTY5MTEuanBlZw.jpeg

• Like 2

British Stereo Collective - Tomorrow The Stars

The album is in the post but it's just been uploaded to Bandcamp so I'm impatiently streaming it before it arrives

A score to an imaginary 1979 Sci-fi FIlm. Castles in Space Subscription Library only release

This is absolutely wonderful

a2189669380_16.jpg

• Like 1

On 14/10/2022 at 11:52, bielesibub said:

I don't want to bring down the tone of this thread, but I'm experiencing a bit of a goth music renaissance - much to the annoyance of my family (which is why I treated myself to some new headphones). I'm listening to Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium at the moment.

spacer.png

My descent into the deepest darkest depths of all that was Gothic rock is surely complete? I'm on what must be about the tenth re-listen of this bad boy -

spacer.png

Another compilation from the archive. This time Hicks From The Sticks from 1980

A compilation of post-punk, some of these bands went on to have some success, some split up and their members had success elsewhere and others just faded away into the void

I love a good obscure post-punk compilation. A lot of what is on here is really archival material for the forgotten

LmpwZWc.jpeg

1 hour ago, bickster said:

That sounds interesting.

Bear Family are outstanding in their field. This is not their usual field, yet it has their production values. I like it a lot.

The bands are not as wasted as their West German contemporaries. It quite suits the intricacies of the Proggy stuff, they're on it.

BF have a four volume regular Krautrock comp set as well. I'd quite like to listen to them vs the versions I have already now.

Not quite enough to buy them though :)

See the source image

arctic monkeys the car

more of the same after the last album so a lot of people including their fans won't like it, I think it's better than the last album but it's still not a barnstormer, its deep and heavy littered with good bits but in isolation rather than flowing all the way through, it's still a development of their sound but again taking it in a more mature direction that for me isn't as good as where they've come from, AM is a masterpiece and they're still on the comedown, will take a lot of listens to appreciate it but its good enough to deserve the time, I'd say it's a 7/10 on first listen

there's some proper bond theme tune stuff in there

at least they've added that's where you're wrong to their setlist, love that song its one of my favourites by them, same as the last album im expecting this to play really well live, body paint for example the guitar hits harder

• Like 1

my mate messaged me that after listening to it he can't work out if turner is a lyrical genius so deep in complex metaphors that it takes several careful listens to understand the context or if he's gone to red hot chili peppers level of making nonsensical shit up because it sounds cool

• Haha 1

Â