What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Depends on the act, like you say - the acoustic/singer-songwriter type stuff tends to be all about the lyrics. 

My favorite lyricists include Ira Gershwin, Chuck Berry, Smokey Robinson, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell... many others. 

Mmm, ok. Good to see I'm maybe not weird.( for that reasin at least :P ) As per Xann I think generally if it's part of the whole and works thats what I usually connect with. I've only noticed recently as Ive tried to make a conscious effort to listen to more music. Its always been a medium for me where I just intuitively 'like' or 'get' something without really being able to articulate why. I think that fact both pleases and frustrates me :/ Oddly the first album I ever bought has lyrics I can remember and enjoy ( Space-Spiders ) if anything for their quirkiness.

I guess a good songwriter intertwines the spirit of his lyrics into the music anyway.Right, back to listening.

Newton Faulkner - Studio Zoo.

I once read an interview with Bob Dylan, talking about this very thing, He'd just released a single (I think it may have been "I Want You"), and when he next met John Lennon he was keen to know what Lennon thought of it. 

Lennon was full of praise - good tune, great drum sound, liked the keyboards, etc. 

Legendary wordsmith Dylan was a little taken aback: "But... the lyrics. What did you think of the lyrics?" 

Lennon said something like: "Oh, I don't take much notice of that, above all a record has to SOUND good. I might listen to the words much later, but it's secondary to the music". 

Dylan said it was one of the best bits of advice he ever had. 

• Like 2

2gwv0vr.jpg

Camelias Garden - 'You Have A Chance'

It popped up in Prog Archives' end of years.

It's quite nice, perhaps too nice. The production is quite dry too.

Shouldn't really like it, but I do.

It's here in its entirety - Bandcamp.

Got this for Christmas, and just got round to listening to it today. Latest album form Bill Callahan of Smog fame. Very nice bit of chilled out Alt Country. He's got a voice as rich as fruit cake this lad.

homepage_large.a1d5ea65.jpg

Opening track:

Â