What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

514w-%2BVwnCL._SY355_.jpg

From Amazon

This is not a record for the faint hearted or not the place to start if you have the good fortune to be starting out with The Fall....Hex exhibits all the things that make The Fall great-repetition, forcefulness, melody(when they can be bothered) and strangeness-that gift they have of making music that sounds as if it shouldn't work, sounds somehow 'wrong', but which takes you to places no other band reach. And i do mean no other band. Which isn't to say they don't have influences-they do- but that what they do is unique.

A wonderful, disquieting and energising record. A classic.

I don't think it's close to their best, but "Winter" off it is brilliant. That review is right when it says The Fall "take you to places no other band reach".

Yeah I love The Fall but you have to really be in the right frame of mind to listen to them.

That was the first time I have listened to them in about 12 months and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll probably go on a little Fall kick now where I won't listen to anything else for a week or so

I'm not sure what the best Fall album is to be honest. For me, as an album it is probably The Frenz Experiment, as I did a tour with them in that era but there are much better individual tracks elswhere

Yeah I love The Fall but you have to really be in the right frame of mind to listen to them.

That was the first time I have listened to them in about 12 months and I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'll probably go on a little Fall kick now where I won't listen to anything else for a week or so

I could listen to them every day of the week. I get withdrawal symptoms if I go for too long without listening to them. The only album of theirs I don't much rate is the first one, Dragnet.

the rough trade anthology was what I got started on the fall with

I've not heard much of them, I have to say. Not sure if they will be my cup of tea, but I'll give them a go. I heard 'Victoria' on 6 Music this morning and recognised it as one I've heard before. OK, it's a cover, but I liked it, and am thinking there must be more of their stuff I've heard without knowing it's them.

The thing with The Fall is for me, is that it wasn't really a gradual liking. I first heard them when a mate gave me a 7" of Telephone Thing around 89-90 and upon first play I thought 'what the **** was that?' then I listened to the B-Side 'British People in Hot Weather' and still thought 'what the **** was that?'.

Then a year or so later I put it on again and thought 'what the **** was that? that was brilliant'.

And i've been a fan ever since. Once you get them, you'll have them forever.

• Like 1

OK - I'm going to have to get me a fall album (as I don't have any)

This Nation's Saving Grace (1985)

seems to be the one to get.

Would that be a decent way in Pete/Gareth/anyone?

Maybe, Jon.

I'd go for the Unutterable as a starter. Or the Infotainment Scan, or Cerebral Caustic, or the Real New Fall LP, or Fall Heads Roll, or Grotesque. But probably "the Unutterable" - I think it's my fave Fall LP, and it's also got a wide range of styles on it.

• Like 1

I don't look at this thread for a day, and everyone starts talking about one of my favourite bands! Damn it! Impossible to pick a favourite album by them. I'd probably pick a different one in 10 mins time, if I picked one now! 

I've not heard much of them, I have to say. Not sure if they will be my cup of tea, but I'll give them a go. I heard 'Victoria' on 6 Music this morning and recognised it as one I've heard before. OK, it's a cover, but I liked it, and am thinking there must be more of their stuff I've heard without knowing it's them.

I would normally be against suggesting best of albums, but 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong would be a good place to start. 

• Like 1

I would normally be against suggesting best of albums, but 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong would be a good place to start. 

Right, I'm in. Just ordered CD.

If me likey, I'll venture onto Pete's suggestions.

Thanks guys. :P

Â