• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I'd say what Martinez did at Swansea was more impressive than Ferguson at Aberdeen. They were looking likely to drop out of the football league when Martinez took over. They are now the first Welsh team to play in the Premiership.

Obviously not comparing the two, but you really can't dismiss what Martinez has achieved on the basis that it was 'only Swansea'. You can only achieve with what you have, and I'd say what he did at Swansea, and keeping Wigan up, has to count as achievements - so let's give him a chance at raising those achievements.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say what Martinez did at Swansea was more impressive than Ferguson at Aberdeen. They were looking likely to drop out of the football league when Martinez took over. They are now the first Welsh team to play in the Premiership.

Obviously not comparing the two, but you really can't dismiss what Martinez has achieved on the basis that it was 'only Swansea'. You can only achieve with what you have, and I'd say what he did at Swansea, and keeping Wigan up, has to count as achievements - so let's give him a chance at raising those achievements.

I'd compare it more to his job at St Mirren. Looking at it now he got St Mirren promoted and then Aberdeen gave him the job a club in Scotland in a similar position to us in England. Fergie then went on and succeeded with Aberdeen with some excellent achievements.

No way are we comparing Martinez to Fergie here though, just proof of how a manager can work his way up.

Nice guy: Fergie - No : Winner Yes

Nice guy: Martinez - Yes : Winner No

I hope this helps.

Fergie millions and millions to spend at one of the biggest and most attractive to players Clubs in the world

Martinez at Wigan

Nice guy: Fergie - No : Winner Yes

Nice guy: Martinez - Yes : Winner No

I hope this helps.

That Guardiola seems like quite a pleasant chap. Probably won't amount to much though.

I'd compare it more to his job at St Mirren. Looking at it now he got St Mirren promoted and then Aberdeen gave him the job a club in Scotland in a similar position to us in England. Fergie then went on and succeeded with Aberdeen with some excellent achievements.

No way are we comparing Martinez to Fergie here though, just proof of how a manager can work his way up.

Further indication that we should just get behind whoever is chosen and trust Randy, as he's the man with the cash!

I'd say what Martinez did at Swansea was more impressive than Ferguson at Aberdeen. They were looking likely to drop out of the football league when Martinez took over.

No they were not!!!!!!!!

He took over in league one

Quietly excited about the possibility of Martinez, he's done really well with small clubs now is the time for him to step up and build something great with Aston Villa (if appointed).

Does anyone actually reckon he will turn us down?!

It's a bit of a strange one, because he's not going to get a top 4 job, or even a top 6 job in reality.

The likes of Chelsea & United would have the pick of the worlds best managers, so unless someone has tipped him off that he's in line for the Spurs job, i dont get the apparent hesitancy, unless ofcourse he just doesnt want to live in Brum.

So what is the news everyone?

Any further updates from page 130 last night? Is Martinez still the only target, or are we looking at any other candidates? I presume we are, but has anything been said?

Cheers

To summarise - we still don't want McClaren because he done shit with England but has done a good job at club level and won stuff.

Some fans don't want Martinez because he has won nothing.

So basically we are after John Barnes/Bill Shankly type of manager :P

Right. So It would be a waste of time even looking back a few pages. Thanks. Saved me from reading all the negative posts

Say if wigan had lost there last two games and gone down, does anyone think we would have considered him?

He was actually 15 mins away from relegation. Doubt they would of considered him either. Fickleness.

I think there is good chance of that . Whelean sounds pretty confident he'll stay . I also think for Martinez himself it would make sense to stay another season at Wigan .

I wouldnt be suprised if he himself thinks this is too big of a step at this moment - which frankly it definately is.

Doubt it, he's likely to double or triple his salary by joining Villa, nobody turns that down unlesss youre already veryt wealthy which i doubt Martinez is yet