Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

18 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Here's one for the elder Villa elders. 

In the season we won the league - which player got the most stick and criticism for their performances?   Who was the perceived weak link that was going to cost us the title?  

Dunno. There was no internet. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

In the season we won the league - which player got the most stick and criticism for their performances?   Who was the perceived weak link that was going to cost us the title?  

Dunno but Peter Withe did his best to miss the goal. 😁

16 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

From memory I think David Geddis was the only player who copped for any abuse....even though he was a bit part player who deputised for Withey whenever he got suspended for too much back chatting the refs.

DG did score 2 vs small heath at VP that season which helped his cause a little.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I don’t remember that, he didn’t play often enough.

I do remember the girl I stood by on the Holte absolutely loved Geddis though, totally soaked gusset 😂

Meh, meant to quote @mottaloo

Edited by rjw63
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

DG did score 2 vs small heath at VP that season which helped his cause a little.

His best game ever, should have had a hat trick but his shot hit the post and Gary Shaw put the rebound away.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I don’t remember that, he didn’t play often enough.

I do remember the girl I stood by on the Holte absolutely loved Geddis though, totally soaked gusset 😂

Meh, meant to quote @mottaloo

Haha !

Yeah, he didn't play much but sometimes when he did his misses were a bit glaring so he was never going to be as popular as Shaw or Withe.

I wrote a letter of support to him (i was 16) and he actually wrote back in his own hand and not typed up by a secretary at VP. He seemed very grateful for my kind words.

Edited by mottaloo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mottaloo said:

Haha !

Yeah, he didn't play much but sometimes when he did his misses were a bit glaring so he was never going to be as popular as Shaw or Withe.

I actually wrote a letter of support to him (i was 16) and he actually wrote back in his own hand and not typed up by a secretary at VP. He seemed very grateful for my kind words.

My missus will probably see Gary Shaw today, going to a funeral of a guy who was in their class.

He usually finds an excuse not to turn up though, he's amazingly shy.

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Do dogs get sore throats from too much barking ? Cos the effer up the road from me has been going non stop for an hour 😡

I've thought this too.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Sounds like you were checking......regularly.

Wouldn't get away with it these days.  Different times.

20 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Not one of the 14 players that played in the league campaign got any stick. 14 players in a 42 game season, on pitches that wouldn’t be deemed playable these days. Still a record I think and one that is highly unlikely to be beaten. They were all heroes to us

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not one of the 14 players that played in the league campaign got any stick. 14 players in a 42 game season, on pitches that wouldn’t be deemed playable these days. Still a record I think and one that is highly unlikely to be beaten. They were all heroes to us

I always think it's mad that 7 or 8 of them went on to play for blues or baggies shortly after, as well as Saunders managing both. Did they get much stick returning to Villa Park do you remember?

Â