Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

adult converts to Islam are encouraged to have the operation but circumcision isn't compulsory in Islam ..it's encouraged but not enforced  ..

Good tip

• Haha 1

On 18/04/2022 at 16:33, Sam-AVFC said:

Has anyone ever met a religious person that wasn't brought up in a family of believers, or didn't 'find' God either because they needed comfort or someone to thank for good fortune?

I'm just curious if anyone every walked into a library on a Tuesday, read the Bible/Quran/Torah etc with no underlying emotional turmoil in their life and decided it all just adds up.

Having been brought up in a very "Christian" family, I can confirm that in my experience the overwhelming majority of people who came to that particular faith in adult life did so as a result of being evangelised/indoctrinated by someone who already believed. My take is that it is an impossible ask for someone to read the source text and arrive at the conclusion that the modern churches have got the interpretation spot on. 

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Eh? I thought you wanted to know so I gave it a best guess. 

No offence, just a smart answer and the Gif was funny

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Having moved to Cheshire last year I was a bit shocked to see the local chip shop selling 'smack'. Not entirely sure what it is and kinda scared to ask. 

A quick google tells me that it is like a scallop (not the fish kind), i.e. deep-fried battered potato.  I miss those things down here - I had my folks down last weekend and my old man asked for one.  "What's that?" they asked in the local chippy. 

10 minutes ago, trekka said:

A quick google tells me that it is like a scallop (not the fish kind), i.e. deep-fried battered potato.  I miss those things down here - I had my folks down last weekend and my old man asked for one.  "What's that?" they asked in the local chippy. 

Looking on Google ruins the mystery... Plus I think I'm going to keep thinking their actually selling heroin. Why else would they have a cash only policy! 

16 minutes ago, trekka said:

Used to be in pretty much every chippy in Brum but I've noticed a big drop off in recent years. For a while they were a menu item but not kept in the heater and now it's rare to even see them on the menu. 

Strange really, I love a good potato scallop. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Used to be in pretty much every chippy in Brum but I've noticed a big drop off in recent years. For a while they were a menu item but not kept in the heater and now it's rare to even see them on the menu. 

Strange really, I love a good potato scallop. 

They used to be 10p well spent too!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

A battered scallop butty with BBQ sauce is a thing of beauty, better still, no sauce and go for a gravy pot to dunk the butty in.

tenor.gif

• Haha 4

It's an undeniable certainty that ANY thread on VT is enhanced as soon as someone mentions gravy. FACT. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's an undeniable certainty that ANY thread on VT is enhanced as soon as someone mentions gravy. FACT. 

Not sure I agree with that.  You're in danger of becoming a laughing stock. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Â