dudevillaisnice

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Everton would be mad to let him go if they go down wouldn’t they? 
He has the attributes to do well in the Championship. There’s no point in selling him and then gambling on another striker firing them back into the PL. As we proved, you can buy several expensive duds in a row and still not have success.

I’m not sure their financial position will allow them to keep him.

Also with it being a World Cup year he may request a move in order to stake a claim for the England squad. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

I’m not sure their financial position will allow them to keep him.

Also with it being a World Cup year he may request a move in order to stake a claim for the England squad. 

If they can’t afford to keep him for at least 1 season then they must be absolutely **** financially. 
He had a hot streak but that finished a long time ago, I can’t see him anywhere near the England squad for the World Cup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

If they can’t afford to keep him for at least 1 season then they must be absolutely **** financially. 
He had a hot streak but that finished a long time ago, I can’t see him anywhere near the England squad for the World Cup.

Me either - he’s too static as a lone striker. 

they could probably retain him but cashing in on him may be the more financially viable option.

Agents being agents will probably try and manufacture a move for him though. 

Just now, theboyangel said:

Me either - he’s too static as a lone striker. 

they could probably retain him but cashing in on him may be the more financially viable option.

Agents being agents will probably try and manufacture a move for him though. 

Yeah, if they go down DCL will want out for sure. But as Everton “own him” they should be saying you’re staying and you’re going to score enough goals to get us straight back up.
If they sell him for £25m who are they going to buy? They obviously won’t be spending all £25m if they need the money for bills. You don’t get anything good for £10-£15m these days.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Genie said:

There is no chance in hell he will wnat to stay and play in the championship. 

I can see so many players jumping ship. Doucoure, CL, alli, richarldson, etc. They are silky not play AEG as he is excellent at championship level and will get them back  up if they went down.

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

You don’t get anything good for £10-£15m these days.

Eh?

Top 10 goalscorers this season:

1) Mitrovic - 37 - Newcastle to Fulham - £22m - 2018

2) Solanke - 24 - Liverpool to Bournemouth - £19m - 2019

3) Brereton Diaz - 20 - Forest to Blackburn - £7.5m - 2019

4) Weimann - 19 - Derby to Bristol City - £2m - 2018

5=) Adebayo - 15 - Walsall to Luton - undisclosed but it won't have been much from League 2 - 2021

5=) Piroe - 15 - PSV to Swansea - £1m - 2021

7=) Sharp - 14 - Leeds to Sheff Utd - £635k - 2015

7= ) Grant - 14 - Huddersfield to WBA - £15m - 2020

7=) Gyokeres - 14 - Brighton to Coventry - £1m - 2021

10=) Johnson - 13 - Notts Forest youth team player

10=) Ward - 13 - Cardiff to Huddersfield - free transfer - 2020

10=) Riis Jakobsen - 13 - Randers to Preston - £1.5m - 2020

Only three of those players moved for more than £10m (admittedly including the top 2), and seven of them (I'm including Adebayo) moved for less than £2m, plus one who is a youth product. I don't think the evidence suggests at all that you can't buy a good striker at Championship level for less than £10m-£15m.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

If I were an Everton fan, I would not care one way or the other about his love of fashion - I can think of worse hobbies for footballers to get in their free time, and presumably he's enjoying himself - but I would be more worried about the fact that if they go down, a lot will be riding on being able to sell him for a fairly high price, and his reputation as a quality top-flight striker is really based to a slightly alarming extent to about a dozen matches at the start of last season.

Everybody seems to assume that it'll be alright because Arsenal will buy him to replace Lacazette, and I can see the logic in that transfer, but they might just decide not to, and it's hard for me to imagine there's going to be a queue of other interested parties.

Can actually see him ending up at West Ham.

When Antonio is injured they don't really have much to fill in and most likely they'll be in europa again next season. Also feels a Moyes type of forward given at his best he ends up scoring from plenty of crosses.

Think Everton's main hope is someone like PSG puts down 50m for Richarlison. People may laugh but they actually took Moise Kean off them a few seasons back who was hardly playing and I imagine Neymar would put in a good word given he regularly starts for Brazil.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Could see him at West Ham more than Arsenal. He actually had a good start to the season as well but not sure he has scored since his injury

Yes, that's a good point actually, he would fit there and they do need another striker pretty desperately.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I would worry that he's spent half of this season injured, hasn't been scoring when he has played, dropped out of the England set up and from an outsider looking in his modelling and clothes choice in making more noise than his football

I'd be interested which one he actually prefers

I know nothing about modelling, so I can't tell you whether he's a good model or not, but my assumption would be that he's notable for being the Premier League footballer who's into fashion, rather than the model who's also a footballer, so I would assume the footballing career is more important.

Dunno though, just guessing obviously.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Word is they'll have to cash in on either him or Richarlison even if they stay up due to issues with FFP/Usmanov.

Think Mina is another they'll have to cash in on as no one is signing s*** like Keane or Holgate anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can actually see him ending up at West Ham.

When Antonio is injured they don't really have much to fill in and most likely they'll be in europa again next season. Also feels a Moyes type of forward given at his best he ends up scoring from plenty of crosses.

Think Everton's main hope is someone like PSG puts down 50m for Richarlison. People may laugh but they actually took Moise Kean off them a few seasons back who was hardly playing and I imagine Neymar would put in a good word given he regularly starts for Brazil.

Yeah, I don't think they'll have a shortage of clubs in Europe interested in Richarlison, the question is simply whether any of them can afford his wages. Obvs wouldn't be a problem for PSG of course.

Think if Everton go down it makes sense for them to get Brereton Diaz or Adebayo in.

Guys who are proven scores in championship, would see Everton as step up even in same division and young enough to rebuild the team around.

Regardless of financial issues Everton would still be a very big draw at that level. I personally think they'd bounce back very quickly like Newcastle did on the two occasions in last decade they've gone down.

Ourselves and Sunderland were different cases as we both got relegated on the back of about 5 years of losing 20 + games a season at prem level and took us 12 months to shake off the losing habit at championship level. Everton haven't been as bad given they were actually top 6 for 80% of last season.

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Eh?

5=) Adebayo - 15 - Walsall to Luton - undisclosed but it won't have been much from League 2 - 2021

Only three of those players moved for more than £10m (admittedly including the top 2), and seven of them (I'm including Adebayo) moved for less than £2m, plus one who is a youth product. I don't think the evidence suggests at all that you can't buy a good striker at Championship level for less than £10m-£15m.

Maybe if Everton do go down they could sell DCL and then when replacing him insist on paying the transfer fees of 3-5 years ago and also insist that they don’t get charged a premium because they are such a big club. 

We also saw many times, “Proven in the championship” doesn’t always transfer over from club to club. 
I’m still scarred by the optimism of signing Scott Hogan and Ross McCormack.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe if Everton do go down they could sell DCL and then when replacing him insist on paying the transfer fees of 3-5 years ago and also insist that they don’t get charged a premium because they are such a big club. 

The fees of 3-5 years ago aren't much different from the fees of today in the Championship, largely because we were down there inflating prices absurdly and they have if anything moderated somewhat since as clubs tightened their belts due to covid.

But you're right, Everton probably will have to pay a premium if they buy from another Championship side. The point of the above list is they shouldn't necessarily need to; they should try to buy smart rather than buy big. They should learn from our example that there's no automatic benefit that comes from splurging vast amounts of cash in the division. For every Kodjia we had at least one Hogan, and in the end the most important players in getting promoted were either youth players (Grealish), loans (Abraham, Tuanzebe) or free transfers/ultra-low fees (Jedinak, Adomah).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

We also saw many times, “Proven in the championship” doesn’t always transfer over from club to club. 
I’m still scarred by the optimism of signing Scott Hogan and Ross McCormack.

I was sceptical of McCormack given he was 30 at the time we got him in. And Fulham hadn't even got close to top 6 when he was scoring 20 + goals.

Hogan was a good striker at Brentford but think it was just a case of Bruce just looking at top of championship scorers and getting him in without any clue of how to play him like Brentford did.

Kodjia did fine the first season although his style was more creating stuff for himself before the injuries knackered him.

51 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, that's a good point actually, he would fit there and they do need another striker pretty desperately.

I know nothing about modelling, so I can't tell you whether he's a good model or not, but my assumption would be that he's notable for being the Premier League footballer who's into fashion, rather than the model who's also a footballer, so I would assume the footballing career is more important.

Dunno though, just guessing obviously.

Nor me, or how in to it he is, if it's a hobby or increasingly becoming a thing for him 

But I know almost matter of factly that if he was a Villa player in our relegation year he would be getting absolute dogs abuse for this from our own fans so I'll assume Everton fans are no better and it will be more than slightly tinged with homophobia, so I can imagine that football isn't a great place for him right now

Whether or not he should be doing this right now is something different 

But if you're looking for someone who is 100% committed to turning up on Wednesday night and getting Everton out of the shit do you get the feeling that DCL is that man? The modelling, the choice of clothes etc doesn't really bother me but I think I would perceive it as lack of bother and be pissed off with him if I was an Everton fan, 2+2=7 I don't think his heart is in it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Eh?

Curious how many of those would do well in the Premier League and be worth holding onto after promotion? The top two have both struggled in the top flight (admittedly Solanke was relatively young). 

Apparently several other PL clubs are not happy with Everton’s accounts and the amounts they are attempting to write off due to Covid, could be BS but there’s talk of them being sued like Derby were.

For reference Everton’s losses of £373m are by far the highest in the Premier League, next highest were Chelsea and Arsenal at £222m and £213m.

It certainly doesn’t smell right.

14 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Premier league have already let them off the hook...they've basically just used "creative accounting" and covid hit their matchday revenue streams. Will be no points deduction but seems some clubs may attempt to sue.

Wonder whether they'll sue, or try and take the same approach to their accounts with everyone "writing off" £100m+

Â