Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

But what positives last year came from getting rid of him?

Saving about £4m in wages for a player that couldn't get in Fulham's side ahead of two 17 year olds.

Yeah because Felix Magath is doing so well at Fulham!

He wasn't the only one who didn't pick him though was he, even Jol who signed him didn't pick him.

Jol who got sacked.

Yeah he did, wasting a load of money on Bent didn't do much for him did it.

• Like 1

Saving about £4m in wages for a player that couldn't get in Fulham's side ahead of two 17 year olds.
And what did we do with that money? How did it benefit us?

It will have gone towards players who actually contributed to keeping us in the PL, something Bent was unable to do for Fulham.

All those players now deemed not good enough and being sold off? I'm sure Fulham had other issues than bent. We won't know what bent could have contributed as he wasn't here. I don't think its too much to think he might have chipped in for a team who managed 39 goals in 38 games.

All those players now deemed not good enough and being sold off? I'm sure Fulham had other issues than bent. We won't know what bent could have contributed as he wasn't here. I don't think its too much to think he might have chipped in for a team who managed 39 goals in 38 games.

Obviously Fulham had other issues. And no, we don't know what he could have contributed if he was here yet people constantly assume, as you seem to be doing, that he would have had a positive contribution. This despite his poor contribution for the club he was playing for and his contributions so far this season for us.

Watching him tonight he looks overweight, off the pace and low on confidence. he may improve with a run of games then again maybe not, I can forgive him the confidence and pace but for a premier league player to be out of shape is unforgivable..

Surely that top manager of ours will get him into shape. 

If only, perhaps he just needs a few games to get up to speed, I just can not decide with him if he has lost it or is just low on confidence.

My personal opinion is that it is probably a mixture of a lack of fitness and a lack of confidence. I don't go with the notion that he suddenly isn't good anymore.  At the level he has played and the constancy he has shown previously given the right conditions I think he could do OK. 

Obviously Fulham had other issues. And no, we don't know what he could have contributed if he was here yet people constantly assume, as you seem to be doing, that he would have had a positive contribution. This despite his poor contribution for the club he was playing for and his contributions so far this season for us.

He scored a few goals for a poor Fulham team. Why couldn't he have done that for us? That would have been more goals than the striker we signed with some of those wages we freed up. That would have been more than the winger we signed with some of the wages we freed up.

Yeah because Felix Magath is doing so well at Fulham!

He wasn't the only one who didn't pick him though was he, even Jol who signed him didn't pick him.

Jol who got sacked.

Yeah he did, wasting a load of money on Bent didn't do much for him did it.

Or the rest of the team that he failed to manage sufficiently (sounds familiar)

Watching him tonight he looks overweight, off the pace and low on confidence. he may improve with a run of games then again maybe not, I can forgive him the confidence and pace but for a premier league player to be out of shape is unforgivable..

If only, perhaps he just needs a few games to get up to speed, I just can not decide with him if he has lost it or is just low on confidence.

My personal opinion is that it is probably a mixture of a lack of fitness and a lack of confidence. I don't go with the notion that he suddenly isn't good anymore. At the level he has played and the constancy he has shown previously given the right conditions I think he could do OK.

Goal scoring has a lot to do with confidence and sharpness. Bent's hardly going to be full of both the way he's been handled the last 2 years.

• Like 1

He scored a few goals for a poor Fulham team. Why couldn't he have done that for us? That would have been more goals than the striker we signed with some of those wages we freed up. That would have been more than the winger we signed with some of the wages we freed up.

I tell you what. How about you answer a question for a change, if Bent is still such a good player why were Fulham the only club interested last summer? Why are no clubs interested this summer?

As for the striker we signed with some of those wages that was Kozak, who scored 4 in 14 PL games compared to Bent who got 3 in 25 PL games for Fulham. Please don't try and argue that Holt was the player signed with the wages made available by Bent's departure.

• Like 1

My personal opinion is that it is probably a mixture of a lack of fitness and a lack of confidence. I don't go with the notion that he suddenly isn't good anymore. At the level he has played and the constancy he has shown previously given the right conditions I think he could do OK.

Goal scoring has a lot to do with confidence and sharpness. Bent's hardly going to be full of both the way he's been handled the last 2 years.

Also has a lot to do with creativity.  He thrived when he had Ashley Young and Stewart Downing feeding him the ball/getting to the by line and pulling the ball back.  We literally have none of that in our team at the moment and Bent isn't the kind of striker that makes his own chances.

• Like 1

I tell you what. How about you answer a question for a change, if Bent is still such a good player why were Fulham the only club interested last summer? Why are no clubs interested this summer?

As for the striker we signed with some of those wages that was Kozak, who scored 4 in 14 PL games compared to Bent who got 3 in 25 PL games for Fulham. Please don't try and argue that Holt was the player signed with the wages made available by Bent's departure.

You must have missed Pardew confirming he wanted Bent at Newcastle last summer!

You must have missed Pardew confirming he wanted Bent at Newcastle last summer!

Actually, I did. I've just googled it and you are right, it also seems Pardew thinks Bent took the 'easy option' of going to Fulham and London rather than go to Newcastle and have more competition for a starting place!

You say that like i've ignored lots of your questions.  I don't think Bent is such a good player now.  I'd still play him ahead of weimman or gabby Sunday but I don't think he's a good premiership striker at the moment.  I believe that's partly down to how he's been treated since lambert joined and as i said earlier I think decisions made from the club have sped up his decline as a player.

I don't think it was a smart decision to dump him last season as even a few goals would have helped a team that only scored 39 goals.  I also don't think we should have dumped him because we're now left with an even worse Darren Bent.  I don't think wanting rid of him has done his confidence or motivation any good and now we're left with this version as an option and still paying him lots of money for it.

The other striker I was referring to was Helenius.  We may have saved some money last year but we mainly bought players who are now being shipped out and who contributed little to the season.  I don't see the benefits of what we did and you seem to choose a poor performance from Bent and the team to somehow gloat and justify that decision last year. 

If it wasnt for the goals at the end of 10-11, he would be our biggest flop of all-time.

Before Paul Lambert, extreme cost cutting and the genius invention of the bomb squad he scored 18 goals in 38 league appearances.

You say that like i've ignored lots of your questions.  I don't think Bent is such a good player now.  I'd still play him ahead of weimman or gabby Sunday but I don't think he's a good premiership striker at the moment.  I believe that's partly down to how he's been treated since lambert joined and as i said earlier I think decisions made from the club have sped up his decline as a player.

I don't think it was a smart decision to dump him last season as even a few goals would have helped a team that only scored 39 goals.  I also don't think we should have dumped him because we're now left with an even worse Darren Bent.  I don't think wanting rid of him has done his confidence or motivation any good and now we're left with this version as an option and still paying him lots of money for it.

The other striker I was referring to was Helenius.  We may have saved some money last year but we mainly bought players who are now being shipped out and who contributed little to the season.  I don't see the benefits of what we did and you seem to choose a poor performance from Bent and the team to somehow gloat and justify that decision last year. 

No I didn't say you had ignored my questions, I was just saying I'm the one constantly answering yours.

We will have to agree to disagree with regards Bent and I'm not sure I'd agree re Helenius being the player signed with the wages saved on Bent but...

There is no gloating from me regarding the situation with Bent, there is nothing to gloat about in the situation. I'm just tired of people making out Bent is something that he clearly isn't any more.

Â