Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

I have a lot more confidence in Ancelotti, than I do with Moyes, Hughes, Jol etc.

thats where we differ. while i accept that ancelotti would do a hell of a lot better than the others, all things being equal, i also think he would represent more of a risk than the rest. the ideal situation for me would be 4-5 years of moyes/hughes/jol followed by an approach to a manager of ancelottis calibre when the club is ready for it in terms of resources and infrastructure

After 4 years of MON, I really think the clubs ready now.

mon left us in a financial hole we're still dealing with. When the new rules have taken effect in 3 years time i suspect we'll be brilliantly placed to make a charge at a power shift. Until then we need to focus on getting the infrastructure right in preparation for that moment. A superstar manager isnt necessarily the correct way to go about that

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. Why do so many people not get this?

because they dont apply common sense and logic to anything football related

its a case of "hes been a successful manager so he'd be a successful manager here", despite the fact that he's been a successful manager a clubs with far more resources and draw than villa

Actually it's because he worked his way up successfully & has achieved many trophies both in Italy & in Europe so he therefore knows what it takes to win.. & also has proven that he can manage big name players very well too which means he is possibly more likely to keep hold of our wantaway stars... He may well not do of course because as you correctly state there is always a risk factor with any new manager..... Including Moyes.. I would argue that there is a bit less to worry about with an Ancellotti than there is with a Moyes .. purely as he has a more proven track record. He has proven he can reach those heights & has the trophies to back that up. For me there are less risks involved with a guy who "may struggle to manage on a smaller budget" (even though he has already done so some time ago), than there are with a guy who has never won anything at all & has never had to handle the budget that he would get here either which is also a risk.

Having said that i would be happy with Moyes for sure & would think he should be a good appointment ... Just think it's like the "Pool player/snooker player" argument.. With Moyes being the pool player & Ancelotti the Snooker player.. It is much easier for the snooker player to step down & play pool than it is for the pool player to step up & play snooker.

That to me is common sense!

I have a lot more confidence in Ancelotti, than I do with Moyes, Hughes, Jol etc.

thats where we differ. while i accept that ancelotti would do a hell of a lot better than the others, all things being equal, i also think he would represent more of a risk than the rest. the ideal situation for me would be 4-5 years of moyes/hughes/jol followed by an approach to a manager of ancelottis calibre when the club is ready for it in terms of resources and infrastructure

After 4 years of MON, I really think the clubs ready now.

mon left us in a financial hole we're still dealing with. When the new rules have taken effect in 3 years time i suspect we'll be brilliantly placed to make a charge at a power shift. Until then we need to focus on getting the infrastructure right in preparation for that moment. A superstar manager isnt necessarily the correct way to go about that

IMO the infrastructures already in place, its just been mismanaged.

What really worries me, is that in 3/4 years time we may well have fallen so far behind the top five that its going to be impossible to catch up even with more money, and more resources. Given that scenario, realistically don't think we will be able to.

Its now never IMO.

Actually it's because he worked his way up successfully & has achieved many trophies both in Italy & in Europe so he therefore knows what it takes to win.. & also has proven that he can manage big name players very well too which means he is possibly more likely to keep hold of our wantaway stars... He may well not do of course because as you correctly state there is always a risk factor with any new manager..... Including Moyes.. I would argue that there is a bit less to worry about with an Ancellotti than there is with a Moyes .. purely as he has a more proven track record. He has proven he can reach those heights & has the trophies to back that up. For me there are less risks involved with a guy who "may struggle to manage on a smaller budget" (even though he has already done so some time ago), than there are with a guy who has never won anything at all & has never had to handle the budget that he would get here either which is also a risk.

Having said that i would be happy with Moyes for sure & would think he should be a good appointment ... Just think it's like the "Pool player/snooker player" argument.. With Moyes being the pool player & Ancelotti the Snooker player.. It is much easier for the snooker player to step down & play pool than it is for the pool player to step up & play snooker.

That to me is common sense!

i can absolutely see your logic there, no manager gets to the top without working their way up, BUT you also need to factor in the time it's taken, and the current resources at our disposal. it's been a long while since ancelotti has had big restraings placed on him, and just like any top manager who's been at the peak of the game for a while, it'd take a while for him to get back into the swing of things.

its really a case of deciding whether its better to have a manager going downwards or a manager looking upwards. that's only for the board to decide having interviewed the prospective managers, and it's a process none of us will ever be privvy to

if ancelotti was interviewed and could outline a realistic plan for getting us where we want to go, then id be all for him

I would like to think that Ancellotti would be interested in the job at AVFC if Houllier and Villa part company, especially if Wilkins was part of the deal.

At the beginning of May various newspapers rumoured that Frank Rijkaard might be in the picture. This too would be good news.

Failing that we would be left with "the rest" and of that group Moyes seems to have the majority of fans vote. I would be hesitant simply because after nine years at Everton his experience has been dealing with mediocrity and when fans are asked to name the most exciting teams they have watched in the Prem year in year out, Everton is an afterthought.

It might be that managers like Moyes and Hughes etc are already at their pinnacle and may not have the vision to advance much beyond that. On the other hand Ancellotti and Rijkaard's experience has been at the very top with World Class experiences.

I would hope that Randy and the Villa Board explore the possibility of interviewing my first two choices before making a final decision.

The circumstances surrounding M. Houllier are very sad. I would have loved to have seen him get one more season and a full summer of transfer dealings and training. However, despite his possible courage to be willing to fight on for Aston Villa, it really isn't worth losing your life over a job, but it is commendable even if a little foolish. I wouldn't do it. Life is too short to lose over a game of football.

Whatever Mr H chooses, I wish him well. Even though watching Villa struggle this season was a head banging experience, it was truly a pleasure to see them try to play football, and when Bent and Makoun arrived it actually looked very promising. Thanks for that Mr H.

I think thinking about it more, ive decided i prefer Hughes rather than Moyles. I think he has had a wider range of experiences and his management success has been comparable to Moyles. Hughes had one poor season at Man City, which was a lot to do with a take over, and the new board buying ridiculous players for ridiculous prices. He was doing ok in the second season only losing 2 games. He did an exceptional job with Wales, Blackburn and Fulham, Moyles has done an exceptional job at Everton and a good job at Preston.

Is there a difference between Hughes and Moyes?

They both play a similar brand of football - something akin to a MON style of football. We would be hard to beat....

... and that would be about it.

yeah city were alot more of an exciting team to watch under Hughes than they are now. I think Hughes is quite adaptive to what he has in his squad. City played exciting attacking football cause he had the players but at Blackburn he played to their strengths which were technically lacking but effective. He seems astute at assessing players and devising an effective system for that set of players. I think he'd be a good appointment.

yeah city were alot more of an exciting team to watch under Hughes than they are now. I think Hughes is quite adaptive to what he has in his squad. City played exciting attacking football cause he had the players but at Blackburn he played to their strengths which were technically lacking but effective. He seems astute at assessing players and devising an effective system for that set of players. I think he'd be a good appointment.

That sounds good - short term.

I wonder if Hughes (or Moyes) can make a team progress past their "current strengths". If not, we will always be the best of the rest and nothing more.

That sounds good - short term.

I wonder if Hughes (or Moyes) can make a team progress past their "current strengths". If not, we will always be the best of the rest and nothing more.

I don't know if Hughes can. He's not really been in one place for too long in his career. I guess you would have to say that Moyes cannot take his club to the next level. Consistently good but never great.

If Villa fans honestly think Carlo Ancelotti would manage Villa, you need to pull your head out of the sand as well as take your claret and blue specs off.

Just seems like readying more reasons to have a go at the board (for some reason) because if any manager says no we lack ambition, without knowing the full facts.

Absolute nonsense!

Absolutely. Why do so many people not get this?

because they dont apply common sense and logic to anything football related

its a case of "hes been a successful manager so he'd be a successful manager here", despite the fact that he's been a successful manager a clubs with far more resources and draw than villa

I agree.

Plus he wont bring stability to the club, he will leave whitin two years when one of the big italian clubs come calling. IMO.

I would much rather the club signed Hughes on a (minimum) 5 year contract and stood by him and backed him.

If Villa fans honestly think Carlo Ancelotti would manage Villa, you need to pull your head out of the sand as well as take your claret and blue specs off.

Just seems like readying more reasons to have a go at the board (for some reason) because if any manager says no we lack ambition, without knowing the full facts.

Absolute nonsense!

Its a long shot but not utterly impossible.

The board should at least try, dont you think?