Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Frank Rijkaard would be an exciting appointment, and if true I can see this being GH's choice.

He ain't that good. Pep has made Barca way better since he left and he did poorly at Galatasaray who's meant to be one of the best in their respective league.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Rijkaard would be an exciting appointment, and if true I can see this being GH's choice.

He ain't that good. Pep has made Barca way better since he left and he did poorly at Galatasaray who's meant to be one of the best in their respective league.

I never thought I'd ever say this, but I agree with you :D

Poor manager living off his playing career.

He is a classy fellow and has reputation to attract top class players. He laid the foundations at Barcelona and put a lot emphasis on youth.

He was not given enough time at Galatasaray to turn the tide.

Bit concerned at reports saying a decision will be made in mid June on GH's future... then we would surely have a period of searching/interviewing & guess what! the new season would be right on us again with little chance for the new guy to stamp his style or sell/buy players etc etc... Oh hang on! I get it ... It's groundhog day!

Frank Rijkaard is top of Aston Villa’s wanted list if Gerard Houllier cannot return next season.

The former Barcelona and Holland coach, 48, has been out of football since leaving Turkish side Galatasaray last October.

And the Dutchman, who starred in the Holland team which won Euro 88, is understood to be keen to work in the Premier League.

Rijkaard led Barcelona for five years until 2008 and won the 2006 Champions League and two league titles.

His first coaching job was leading his national side to semi-finals of Euro 2000 and his appointment would show the ambition of Randy Lerner’s club.

Houllier, 63, has been on leave from Villa Park since suffering a heart scare last month and has yet to make a decision about his future.

Assistant manager Gary McAllister has taken charge of team affairs and led Villa into mid-table.

The Frenchman only arrived at Villa Park in September after Martin O’Neill’s abrupt departure from the club.

Houllier had major surgery in 2001 after suffering heart-related problems when he was manager of Liverpool.

The Mirror

Wouldn't want him. Did poor at Galatasaray.

I'd like Rijkaard.

Bit concerned at reports saying a decision will be made in mid June on GH's future... then we would surely have a period of searching/interviewing & guess what! the new season would be right on us again with little chance for the new guy to stamp his style or sell/buy players etc etc... Oh hang on! I get it ... It's groundhog day!

Does it suprise you though, because it doesnt me. Everything is always a slow and drawn out affair with us, whether it be the kit, or transfer of players.

If the board do what they should do, and sack GED and co, that gives them a bit of time to get a new manager in, and the new manager will then get some money, and a full summer to spend it, and an entire pre-season with the players.

Sometimes it leads me to question whether the board know what they're doing, we've not got many football people at the club, and you've got someone like Paul Faulkner, how is he qualified to have a say in who our next manager is.

Anyway, the board need to be decisive, and move quick. Go and get Moyes!

The decisions should be made as soon as the season ends literally within 7 days of it ending. It sounds like they want to stick with houllier unless he says otherwise too me which is very worrying. I think there are some decent managers out there who we could possibly get but i dont think the board or randy will have the balls too do it to be perfectly honest. Lets stick with a past it manager as hes proven this season and who could at any moment be admitted to hospital leaving us with an ass man who is soo incompetent its a joke.

Wouldn't say no to a CL winning manager either.

Edit - oh wait it's the Mirror. Oh well.

Same.

Would love Rijkaard here - but this is a report from the mirror. Hardly likely to be true, then.

The decisions should be made as soon as the season ends literally within 7 days of it ending. It sounds like they want to stick with houllier unless he says otherwise too me which is very worrying. I think there are some decent managers out there who we could possibly get but i dont think the board or randy will have the balls too do it to be perfectly honest. Lets stick with a past it manager as hes proven this season and who could at any moment be admitted to hospital leaving us with an ass man who is soo incompetent its a joke.

I too am getting very worried that we are going to dilly dally again and be left with the bunch of idiots we have at the moment or no manager in August as all the decent ones will be tied up. Another year of passionless, gutless and tepid football whilst skirting with relegation is really winding me up!

I too am getting very worried that we are going to dilly dally again and be left with the bunch of idiots we have at the moment or no manager in August as all the decent ones will be tied up. Another year of passionless, gutless and tepid football whilst skirting with relegation is really winding me up!

There is no way we will be skirting with relegation next season with the current management team still in place, we will be **** relegated, and it wouldnt put it past them to have it do by Xmas. :evil:

DelboyVilla wrote:

Quote:

There is no way we will be skirting with relegation next season with the current management team still in place, we will be **** relegated, and it wouldnt put it past them to have it do by Xmas.

Fair Point.

I have just been told by a work colleague who was at a supporters club meeting last night that the info was that its going to be Benitez and its pretty much a done deal.

Lets hope that its just a rumour and incorrect at that.

I'd like to see a German manager. How about a team of Joachim Low and Mathias Sammer? Style, with organisation. I think Low has a contract with German national team until 2014(?), but what an opportunity!

I didn't know that Villa played in the Bundesliga...

I'd like to see a British manager - Hughes, Moyes, McClaren, Lambert, Curbishley or Allardyce.

Interesting take on my suggestion.... :shock:

I see no reason for a British Manager. If you don't like Germans, what about Deschamps...or even Rjikaard?

He wants a British manager and no foreigners. He also wants an English manager and coaching staff for the England national team because he feels if we won anything under Capello, it would be a victory for the Italians, not us, despite it being 11 Englishmen on the pitch.

A manager no doubt contributes significantly to a team's success or failure.

So it would be an English victory masterminded by an Italian.

I'd rather an English victory masterminded by an Englishman.

I'd like to see a German manager. How about a team of Joachim Low and Mathias Sammer? Style, with organisation. I think Low has a contract with German national team until 2014(?), but what an opportunity!

I didn't know that Villa played in the Bundesliga...

I'd like to see a British manager - Hughes, Moyes, McClaren, Lambert, Curbishley or Allardyce.

Interesting take on my suggestion.... :shock:

I see no reason for a British Manager. If you don't like Germans, what about Deschamps...or even Rjikaard?

He wants a British manager and no foreigners. He also wants an English manager and coaching staff for the England national team because he feels if we won anything under Capello, it would be a victory for the Italians, not us, despite it being 11 Englishmen on the pitch.

A manager no doubt contributes significantly to a team's success or failure.

So it would be an English victory masterminded by an Italian.

I'd rather an English victory masterminded by an Englishman.

I would rather take the victory (of Aston Villa) whoever is the manager. You hire the best person for the job of manager IMO.

Anyway we are hardly knee deep in top quality English (not British) managers to chose from so why limit our choices?