Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

I'm actually warming to the idea of Benitez, as long as he doesn't see us as a stepping stone back to Anfield or Spain. I think his comments about buying into a "plan" and the "academy" is very much aimed at Randy. There's not any other European Cup winning managers that are likely to come to Villa any time soon.

I really do not want another Liverpool reject. If he is not good enough for Liverpool he is not good enough for Villa. Given all the stick he has taken from the Holte End being a fat Spanish waiter, I think he would face the same sort of problems as Houllier.

It has to be Moyes or Hughes for me. Seeing Sidwell set up Fulham's second goal yesterday made me think that Hughes has given him the confidence that our managers never could.

So, your saying that Benitez (who has won a European Cup and a Spanish title with Valencia) isn't good enough for us, but Moyes and Hughes (who have won nothing between them in a combined 20 years in management) are good enough??

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was a choice between Rafa and Hughes, I'd rather have Rafa, Im afraid. Not that I'd be particularly keen on having another Liverpool fanboy, I just don't see what everyone else sees in Mark Hughes. What has he actually done? What players has he actually managed to attract on his names / connections alone? (Robinho for example doesnt really count cos he was bought by Man City, not him) Plus he's hardly going to be bank rolled by Randy like he was at Man City.

Personally, I'd rather we look at bigger targets and really try to make a point of addressing the current situation, but then again I understand the question of 'who in their right mind would want to come here at the moment?'

So, your saying that Benitez (who has won a European Cup and a Spanish title with Valencia) isn't good enough for us, but Moyes and Hughes (who have won nothing between them in a combined 20 years in management) are good enough??

I agree with this.. no brainer really, if Benitez wants the job I think he'll be high up the list personally.

I'm actually warming to the idea of Benitez, as long as he doesn't see us as a stepping stone back to Anfield or Spain. I think his comments about buying into a "plan" and the "academy" is very much aimed at Randy. There's not any other European Cup winning managers that are likely to come to Villa any time soon.

I really do not want another Liverpool reject. If he is not good enough for Liverpool he is not good enough for Villa. Given all the stick he has taken from the Holte End being a fat Spanish waiter, I think he would face the same sort of problems as Houllier.

It has to be Moyes or Hughes for me. Seeing Sidwell set up Fulham's second goal yesterday made me think that Hughes has given him the confidence that our managers never could.

Yes fair point - Its not really a criticism of benitez - and indded his record wipes the floor with Hughes and Moyes. All of those are good calibre managers - but is it a case of who is the best - or which one 'fits' our current need.

Its a bit like when people tout MON for the Manu job - solid record though he has - he hasn't actually IMO managed a team full of some of the best players in Europe.

I also think Benitez is a man on the way down - again not something - I can back up with hard facts - just a hunch.

Given that Randy may get another bunch of Headhunters in - it could be that the crop of current favourites is wide of the mark

Given that Randy may get another bunch of Headhunters in

I doubt very much he'll be employing the ones used previously though :winkold:

Its interesting actually - although GH has been an unmitgating disaster - in a purely mechanical process he would tick a lot of boxes

Experience in PL

Won Trophies

European Knowledge an experience.

The big warning sign was that that this 'Gem' was doing an admin job for the french FA (IE No one else fancied him) - but how do you put that in a criteria ?

The big warning sign was that that this 'Gem' was doing an admin job for the french FA (IE No one else fancied him) - but how do you put that in a criteria ?

When was your last managerial post?

When was your last managerial post?

Could possibly also throw in:

For your 3 mill a year are you happy to take full responsibility or will you be looking to blame the previous incumbent months down the line for failings that are clearly now down to you.

Will you also look to deal with issues immediately or postpone them to the summer and say its **** all to do with me.

And possibly most importantly

Will you be looking for a testimonial at any of your previous clubs?

:winkold:

Makes you laugh doesn't it :lol:

Rafa over Hughes any day.
Why?

It speaks for itself doesn't it?

I know Rafa isn't very popular with Villa fans but he's a very successful manager while Hughes hasn't won a thing. I mean he's won the Champions League with Liverpool and La Liga and the UEFA Cup with Valencia.

Why?

It speaks for itself doesn't it?

I know Rafa isn't very popular with Villa fans but he's a very successful manager while Hughes hasn't won a thing. I mean he's won the Champions League with Liverpool and La Liga and the UEFA Cup with Valencia.

I was not disagreeing or agreeing with the statement, I just wanted to know why he believes Rafa is currently a better option than Hughes.

Benittez may have won the European Cup and Spanish title, but if he was that good Liverpool would have kept him. Houllier has won the French title and cups in England. That did not make him right fo Villa.

My mate is a Liverpool season ticket holder and he was not impressed by his transfer dealings towards the end of his time there (Keanne £19m and Aquilani £17m). However, I will admit that he made three great signings in Alonso £11m, Reina £6m and Torres £20m in his early years at Anfield.

I just think that Moyes or Hughes would be able to work within the budget that Randy is likely to put in place. He wants to cut the wage bill and I am not convinced that Benitez could do it and still keep Villa competitive. Moyes in particular has shown that he can work within a tight budget.

Why?

because every time he inherits a Houllier squad the team win the Champions League :winkold:

I don't like Rafa and wouldn't really want him here but I can't stand Hughes and definitely don't want him. I think Rafa would take us further than Hughes would, don't see Hughes doing any better than mid table mediocrity (I know we would take that at the minute!) and I think with Rafa in charge we would have much more of a shot at the top 6 again.

I don't think you can say if he was good enough Liverpool would have kept him, there's more to it than that - the fact he didn't get on with the owners for a start. And Chelsea sacked Mourinho, that doesn't mean he wouldn't be good enough for us.

I agree about Moyes, I think he could do a fine job at Villa, but I think Benitez would instantly improve our profile and send a message out to other teams than we mean business.

My preferred choice is still Moyes as well, he's done some good stuff with Everton even though he's never won a trophy with them. I just think it will be hard task to persuade him to swap a similar club like us in Everton for Villa.

Moyes - Benitez - Hughes---------------------------------------------------------------------------------Big Sam

He failed at Inter but I think they punched above their weight anyway, they had Mourinho as manager. Rafa couldn't replicate what Mourinho did! But probs could of if they gave him more than 6 months.

He won the champs league with Liverpool for crying out loud, did he win anything else?? He has honours at Valencia as well who were average in La Liga and really a mile behind Real Madrid and Barcelona! They then failed when he left. Until Liverpool brought dalgleish in, they were failing too, they finished 7th (was it?) last season but that was behind Tottenham and Man City and us, who were supposed to be moving up! Benitez didn't have chance to tackle us three teams cuz Inter (European champions) wanted him!

He would do a decent job for us, I think he will have us defending well and maybe able to attract some top players, even with GH as DoF!

This season is a load of shit, and I don't think anything will be done, we could all be wasting our time here debating over other managers.