Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

David Moyes 1

Rafael Benitez 5/2

Sam Allardyce 5

Mark Hughes 7

Kevin Macdonald 8

Martin Jol 8

Steve McClaren 8

Jurgen Klinsmann 12

Sven Goran Eriksson 12

Ray Wilkins 16

Gianfranco Zola 16

Didier Deschamps 20

Guus Hiddink 20

Fabio Capello 25

Frank Rijkaard 25

Louis Van Gaal 25

Slaven Bilic 25

Jose Mourinho 33

Martin ONeill 33

Diego Maradona 33

Gordan Cowans 50

Ray Graydon 50

Alan McInally 250

Morley Tony 500

Interesting that Paul Lambert isnt on that list and Moyes has drifted out from 8/11.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Moyes has his own small "empire" at Goodison Park. Good players, good squad. I think he's happy there, respected by the fans and I would be amazed if he decided to move away.

Pessimistically thinking he probably would be the only manager who's , in worst case scenario, failure as a Villa manager would be (bitterly) accepted. I believe everyone else's short term failure would soon bring the "whateverhisnameis OUT" banners back.

So, if GH decides not to continue, the new manager must get things right from day one. Whatever happens it would be nice to see the fans backing the manager, current or new, welcome him and give him time.

I hope Houllier will be back.

Can somebody explain to me why Benitez is a no go?! He was brilliant at Liverpool! And he has won more stuff than anybody on that list - almost. Why the ****, would we want a manager from the championship?! Makes no sense what so ever.

So did Houllier.

I don't really want another manager who'd award himself a testimonial when he goes back to Anfield.

That list is definitely interesting.

Van Gaal

Moyes

Hiddink

Capello

Deschamps

Rikjaard

Would take any of these in no particular order, any of them would be a great capture for the club, any of them.

Bilic

Benitez

Jol

Klinsmann

Sven

I'd make do with but wouldnt be my first choice.

No to the rest.

Not entirely certain on this but last time didn't the general say that Premiership experience was vital?

Yeah thats true but im sure it was also said that 'top level' experience too. Which would surely give way to the likes of Van Gaal, Rikjaard and Deschamps who have all reached or won Champions League finals in recent years.

Capello too + vast experience of the English game (obviously)

Hiddink and Moyes have Premiership experience in recent years, I'd expect Hiddink to get a 'bigger' job than us but was great in his [short] spell at Chelsea and loved by all the players and fans.

So, if GH decides not to continue, the new manager must get things right from day one. Whatever happens it would be nice to see the fans backing the manager, current or new, welcome him and give him time.

Houllier started his career here a disaster both on and off the pitch. As long as the new man doesn't disrespect the fans and pick a team that's cleary not our best then he should have support from the start.

Van Gaal, you think Houllier caused problems with his strict regime. They'd think Hitler is reborn with Van Gaal.

He commands a lot of respect, I for one never had a problem with the strict regime it needed to happen. Van Gaal doesn't look so glum or (and i disagree with this but its used a lot) 'clueless' as Houllier.

Reported on his first day at a club (maybe Bayern?) that he walked into the room and dropped his trousers to show he had the balls to drop any one of them if they weren't performing.

(Similar to how when Capello took the England post the media spoke of his regime like it was the second coming of christ because it sorted out the overpampered, overpaid, underworked and underperforming players - now his strict regime is like hitler has pissed on the presents at christmas).

Our players needed a strict regime this year or they'd have walked all over management and the team and we'd have been in the shit and imo Houllier wasn't harsh enough on them or maybe he didnt couple his stance with enough authority that the players thought he'd carry out his 'threats' i dont know, it didnt work but i think it didnt go far enough, not 'too far' like many.

He just had a case of doing too much in too little time regarding style, strictness, wagebill, scouting, youth system etc - all needed to happen just maybe over a season rather than a few weeks.

That list is definitely interesting.

Van Gaal

Moyes

Hiddink

Capello

Deschamps

Rikjaard

Would take any of these in no particular order, any of them would be a great capture for the club, any of them.

Bilic

Benitez

Jol

Klinsmann

Sven

I'd make do with but wouldnt be my first choice.

No to the English.

Fixed.

No everyone makes mistakes you would just hope the mistakes are on the minimum and they are out numbered by the positives. Sadly under Houllier I'm personally not sure that has been the case.

Your post suggests Houllier wasn't welcomed, backed or given time by the fans which is simply incorrect. He wasn't everyones choice sure but no manager ever really is but most were willing to give him time, opportunity and their good will, just take a look back at the thread covering his appointment.

There is one man and one man alone who is responsible for him losing the backing of some of the fans and that is Houllier through his results, his decisions and most of all his actions and words.

Houllier is to blame for how he is viewed by the fans, nobody else. Should he be replaced whoever takes over once again will not be the choice of all fans but like Houllier they will I believe have everyone behind them hoping they succeed, how long people stay their will be down to them.

I hope Houllier will be back.

I don't. I want his spell as manager to come to an end as soon as possible personally although I wish him a full recovery.