9.0 quake hits Japan

Cracker1234

SkyNewsBreak Sky News Newsdesk

Reuters: U.S. Navy detects very low level radiation at base 175 miles from nuclear plant

HAHA thats just silly

Breaking News, Low level radiation detected absolutely everywhere in the world.

:lol: Bickster, so true. It's quite annoying how much the media fearmongers over nuclear and because the public doesn't know a massive amount other than the fact it's extremely dangerous if exposed to a large amount (which is true) the media can get away on an absolute field day.

The outer building and the cores - is it sort of like having a tyre blow out but your wheel is still intact?

I'm caught between believing that the outer shells have been blown out but the important bits are intact inside and wondering if the inner nasties have been exposed creating a big ol' mess.

Doesn't Edinburgh have high levels of background radiation?

The outer building and the cores - is it sort of like having a tyre blow out but your wheel is still intact?

I'm caught between believing that the outer shells have been blown out but the important bits are intact inside and wondering if the inner nasties have been exposed creating a big ol' mess.

The easiest way to think of it like a kettle in a room. The element in the kettle is like the radioactive core, the kettle is the containment vessel, and your kitchen the actual reactor building.

The water's boiling in the kettle, releasing steam into the room, that steam then separates into hydrogen and oxygen, and blows a huge hole in your kitchen.

Now, your kitchen has a big hole in it, but your kettle's still working fine, and the heating element is still perfectly safe inside it.

The easiest way to think of it like a kettle in a room. The element in the kettle is like the radioactive core, the kettle is the containment vessel, and your kitchen the actual reactor building.

The water's boiling in the kettle, releasing steam into the room, that steam then separates into hydrogen and oxygen, and blows a huge hole in your kitchen.

Now, your kitchen has a big hole in it, but your kettle's still working fine, and the heating element is still perfectly safe inside it.

But your dog now has two heads and you glow in the dark.

Apols for any typos, I'm crouching under the kitchen table with a colander on my head and the windows painted white.

Technically that's water vapour, not steam. ;)

Actually water vapour IS steam. People however incorrectly refer to the visible mist as steam when it is in fact liquid water suspended in the air, it's a mist, not steam or water vapour, which are invisible.

Not sure about Edinburgh but I know Cornwall has pretty high levels, well high for background radiation, not particularly high at all but ... oh you bet my drift.

Its to do with the underlying rock types

Not sure about Edinburgh but I know Cornwall has pretty high levels, well high for background radiation, not particularly high at all but ... oh you bet my drift.

Its to do with the underlying rock types

Cornwall has high levels of radon in homes, and this is also found in areas with lots of granite like Aberdeen. Where the Don lives?

Technically that's water vapour, not steam. ;)

Actually water vapour IS steam. People however incorrectly refer to the visible mist as steam when it is in fact liquid water suspended in the air, it's a mist, not steam or water vapour, which are invisible.

Exactly steam is vaporised water at boiling temperature, water vapour is below boiling point, which is why you aren't necessarily scalded by what people call 'steam'. Superheated steam is steam heated to above boiling point of course!

Exactly steam is vaporised water at boiling temperature, water vapour is below boiling point, which is why you aren't necessarily scalded by what people call 'steam'. Superheated steam is steam heated to above boiling point of course!

No, steam is vapourised water fullstop. If it's steam it's vapourised water. If it's vapourised water, it's steam. The two are synonymous seeing as steam is by definition the gas state of water, and vapourised water is by definition water that has been turned into a gas.

You aren't scalded by what people call steam because it's NOT water vapour (and therefore not actual steam) at all. It's water that's condensed in the air into water droplets. Much in the same way as how clouds are liquid water.

Sadly that mist is referred to colloquially as steam, but that doesn't make it right, it's one of the many cases of terms being misused due to over simplification in schools. You're taught the gas phase of water is called steam, then shown "steam" that isn't actually steam because you can't see steam, and told that's steam when it's actually a mist of water droplets.

I hate the education system because of things like this, as you go through school you're constantly told incorrect information that has been overly simplified and constantly end up relearning the same things with slightly more detail as you go through school. So then when you leave you think you know something, but you really don't because you were lied to the whole time. But it never gets corrected, and instead the incorrect terminology gets hung onto and eventually people just accept it as an alternate meaning.

Where the Don lives?

Birmingham ;) Dunno how much background radiation we have here, but I have reason to believe it's quite high seeing as we have a fairly large population of knuckledraggers which I can only put down as a result of a mutation.

If anything, it appears as though day by day my initial fears are becoming closer to reality. They say some of it is now exposed? Seemingly this is now a '6' on whatever scale they use, where Chernobyl was a '7'. There's talk of them maybe needing a new scale.

Dandy as in a comic book story we tell children, I suppose.

It would be good to see them produce tables for "numbers of chief executives forced to resign for lying about safety records", or "instances of deliberately misleading the regulator", or "number of staff currently exposed to life-threatening radiation".

I think they might well appear in the upper part of any comparative graph on all counts.

Â