• Herd
    • Agbonlahor
    • Delfouneso
    • Heskey
    • A Young (for Bradley 71)
    • Downing (for Delfouneso 71)
    • Walker (for Dunne 83)
    • The fans

I think the guardian match report gets it right...

To say Villa were disappointing would be an understatement. This was no time for Gérard Houllier to rest so many key players and City punished them accordingly, Yaya Touré and Mario Balotelli scoring within the opening 25 minutes and David Silva ending any hope of a Villa comeback with a crisp drive in the 70th minute.

In truth, Houllier's men scarcely put together one noteworthy attack and showed a peculiar lack of interest in a game that could have invigorated a dwindling season. Villa may be embroiled in a relegation fight but only loosely – 12th in the league, five points clear of the bottom three – and Houllier's selection process seemed reckless given that Reading are the only club still in the competition from outside the top division.

Meh, Houllier got it wrong with his selections but saying that we couldn't have picked a full strength squad anyway. Cuellar, Collins, Baker and L Young all injured, hence the incredibly inexperienced back 4 (although I was perplexed at Herd's inclusion at RB). Makoun is/was suspended and Bent of course is cup-tied.

I think there are some overreactions in this thread as there normally is whenever we don't win. At least we can focus on a strong finish in the league and hopefully Houllier can learn from his mistakes and the players can put up more of a fight next time.

I have to ask again. Do any of you realise the priorities we have? Would you have liked it if one of our first 11 got seriously injured today and enhanced our slump into the championship? Ratings and OVERREACTION FFS. I didn't even know why Houllier bother bringing the subs on at the end to be honest. Wasnt even really that bothered about the game...wanted a result of course...but I know where my priorities lay.

I think there were some talented players on display for us and in fairness there were some good individual performances. I thought central midfielder Fabian Delph was excellent at left back, I liked our centre back combination and I thought central midfielder Chris Herd did well at right back although he struggled at centre back in the last ten minutes.

Bannan played well and though neither Delfouneso or Gabby got very involved they both had moments when they looked dangerous, albeit usually brief moments when they could escape their duties in covering the central midfielders at full back.

Heskey had a poor game by his recent standards and I thought that Petrov was well off the pace. I don't want to be too hasty in judging Bradley (even though I already did at half time) but he's going to have to go a long way to convince.

The fans too were excellent - a credit to the club.

The manager should hang his head in shame and in June, when he looks back on his time as Villa manager, I hope he always regrets ending the season here.

This.

I can't make judgements on players playing completely out of position either.

The problem tonight wasn't team selection....partially granted.

It was approach.....**** physical approach.It was simply naive.

we needed to get in their faces, similar to how blues applied themselves to the Arsenal game.

That was sheer suicide.

Houllier's men scarcely put together one noteworthy attack and showed a peculiar lack of interest in a game that could have invigorated a dwindling season.

This is what pissed me off the most. Gabby was laughing his head off, what's up with him?

At least we can focus on a strong finish in the league

This is the problem, there is no league! As far as I was concerned the FA cup was our last glimmer of hope in what is otherwise a write off of a season.

I have to ask again. Do any of you realise the priorities we have? Would you have liked it if one of our first 11 got seriously injured today and enhanced our slump into the championship? Ratings and OVERREACTION FFS. I didn't even know why Houllier bother bringing the subs on at the end to be honest. Wasnt even really that bothered about the game...wanted a result of course...but I know where my priorities lay.

What?! A game at the weekend and then a two week break?

The FA Cup or finishing tenth?

I know where my priorities lay as well, and Young and Downing's priorities ought to be a move to Tottenham in the Summer if our priority is to avoid relegation.

I have to ask again. Do any of you realise the priorities we have? Would you have liked it if one of our first 11 got seriously injured today and enhanced our slump into the championship?

We should rest our first 11 against Bolton on saturday then, incase 1 of them gets seriously injured. And then there's the Wolves game after, that will be fiesty. Best leave them out to prevent injury.

We're not going down, we'll finish somewhere between 10th and 13th. Tonight we decided that the difference between those two positions is more important than having a season that holds the promise of some success.

Houllier's men scarcely put together one noteworthy attack and showed a peculiar lack of interest in a game that could have invigorated a dwindling season.

This is what pissed me off the most. Gabby was laughing his head off, what's up with him?

I think he will either directly or indirectly ask for a move at the end of the season.

What a joke, will be even angrier if we lose to Bolton Saturday! But hey-ho houllier probably got a holiday booked next week why should he worry bout us lot who travel north to watch us surrender a game we could potentially get something from!

I think there were some talented players on display for us and in fairness there were some good individual performances. I thought central midfielder Fabian Delph was excellent at left back, I liked our centre back combination and I thought central midfielder Chris Herd did well at right back although he struggled at centre back in the last ten minutes.

Bannan played well and though neither Delfouneso or Gabby got very involved they both had moments when they looked dangerous, albeit usually brief moments when they could escape their duties in covering the central midfielders at full back.

Heskey had a poor game by his recent standards and I thought that Petrov was well off the pace. I don't want to be too hasty in judging Bradley (even though I already did at half time) but he's going to have to go a long way to convince.

The fans too were excellent - a credit to the club.

The manager should hang his head in shame and in June, when he looks back on his time as Villa manager, I hope he always regrets ending the season here.

I thought Gabby looked anything but dangerous.....uninterested, I would describe it as.If the game had of lasted until the end of march it wouldn't have made any difference to what he dished up.....He simply had no idea how to hurt the opposition.

At least we can focus on a strong finish in the league

This is the problem, there is no league! As far as I was concerned the FA cup was our last glimmer of hope in what is otherwise a write off of a season.

The league's still tight. Unfortunately Europe is unlikely now thanks to Sunday's developments but we can definitely get ourselves an upper mid-table finish and focus on kicking on next year.

**** joke, what kind of team was that he put out? Our 3rd team? For **** sake, if we had got a draw here then beat em at VP we would have surely (maybe) beat Reading and be in the Semi's. What the **** was that clown thinking? He starts with that, does **** all at HT when we are well out of the game and then does nothing untill its to late.

For **** sake GH get a clue whats going on, we are travelling around paying good money to see a GOOD team, the least you could do is give us a good team on paper and not leave 5 or 6 first teamers on the bench.

I think he will either directly or indirectly ask for a move at the end of the season.

He will ask for a move?

Not **** likely he knows when he's on to a good thing.Why on earth do we pander to these over paid players.....if they don't do it leave them out.

Like many, we all know he is being played out of position, but that is no excuse for some of the shit he's dishing up.....and yes Petrov was as bad.

Â