• Herd
    • Agbonlahor
    • Delfouneso
    • Heskey
    • A Young (for Bradley 71)
    • Downing (for Delfouneso 71)
    • Walker (for Dunne 83)
    • The fans

The manager got it wrong today. It's not a mistake the is peculier to GED, MON did the same repeatedly (Moscow) and we see plenty of managers rotating for cup games, against weak and strong oposition. But with such a kind and uncongested fixture list ahead of us, I really just can't get my head around why he did that today.

Also, after resting Downing and Young, why bring them on with 20 minutes left at 3-0 down. This should have been done at HT, 60 mins at the latest. If resting them is so important, then why play them when there is no time to make an impact.

On the bright side, Bannan looked good. Gabby not as poor as people are making out. Clark was decent for the most part and Delph looks like he could probably play a bit in midfield. Was a bit concerned by Herd, thought he could easily have picked up a couple of bookings on a different night.

Abosutely digusted.

City would be favourites even with our first team, but you at least give us a bloody chance. Yes some players played decently, but there wa no chance in hell we were ever going to make an impression, let alone win that match with that team selection. Might as well have just sat down and not bothered. At the end of the day were probably not going down, and with that it prety much ends our season as theres not much else to look forward to now.

MOTM the fans (I guess Bannan if you want a player), they were great (one of those guys had a better head than heskey), feel really sorry for them traveling all that way and paying to go and see that shocking selection. Just home enough of them got pissed during the day to make up for it.

Not happy, not happy at all.

Awful. I'm behind Houllier but this was a big big mistake. This could be his Moscow already.

Really really disappointed, I was looking forward to this game all week.

This, for me.

Worse than Moscow imo. We shouldn't be resting our players, after they haven't played too much recently anyway, for a big match in the only competition we can do anything in this season. I genuinely thought we had a chance and could then go far in this competition.

We haven't won the FA Cup in 54 years, and I want to see us win it.

If we're resting players because we're worried about relegation, then the manager must have absolutely no faith in the squad. And he played a lot of that squad tonight.

That was a **** disgrace. Horrible display by both the players and Houllier. Our midfield was completely out of it's depth and who knows what the three up front were even doing. Herd was caught out (not a right back to be fair) a lot and we were generally clueless.

Hate to bring up Moscow again but other than the distance this is almost as bad.

For **** sake. We lost away to a team 9 places above us in the league, why can't there ever be sensible discussion in the r&r thread. Funnily enough reading post after post of expletives isn't immensely interesting.

When we won at the weekend the R&R thread was full of people running away with themselves wondering whether we could still make 6th and possibly europe that IMO is equally interesting.

Indeed

Fine if you don't agree with the team selection but personal attacks on Houllier are tedious to say the least. How about something a bit more constructive ...

Who played badly? Where was Bradley for their third? Who should have picked up Toure? How can we improve.

Annoying over reactions plague this forum, I'm sure the away fans will be able to speak for themselves when they get back.

'Houllier out 'is also 100% pointless.

Totally agree with all those sentiments. Maybe this thread should be renamed the chronic over reaction thread.

My take on this is quite simple. I was disappointed to see us field a weakened side but going to Man City with a full strength side and getting a result was always going to be a big ask.

Our premiership survival is far from guaranteed. I simply don't subscribe to the view that we are safe and only 6 points off 6th place. We are also only 5 points above the bottom three. The bottom line being that the Bolton game and the next few games in our self styled 'easy run in' is much more important than the FA Cup.

No doubt all the Boo Boys would be berating Houllier if we got a result tonight and then lost heavily to Bolton at the the weekend. The way I see is there is no parallel to the CSKA game, its simply created a further opportunity for the Houllier haters to put the boot in.

Oh and for the avoidance of doubt I don't regard myself as a huge supporter of Houllier. Yes I would have loved us to progress in the FA Cup and I feel sorry for the fans who made the trip to see a pretty abject performance but I want to watch Premiership football next season.

Makes me wonder why I bothered going to Sheffield, and VP against Blackburn in the previous rounds. Total waste of time, might as well have not bothered wasting my money, if we were gonna end up in a position where our manager didn't even want us to progress.

Can not for the life of me understand why we didn't at least give it a go. Gutless and pathetic.

honestly cannot remember feeling this down after a defeat.

Really? This season alone I've felt worse after Newcastle, Vienna, Stoke, sha, Liverpool and Citeh.

My take on this is quite simple. I was disappointed to see us field a weakened side but going to Man City with a full strength side and getting a result was always going to be a big ask.

They are paid a boatload of money every week. We are entitled to ask for big and small asks EVERY game. Especially games like this.

Just got back from the match. Had a woeful night, with the exception of the last 10 mins of the match, when all our fans went absolutely mental. Dunno if any of it was shown on tv, doubtless there'll be youtube vids up in the next few days, but it was absolutely quality. Anyway...

Trying my very best to like and support GH, I will never boo him etc.... but what can you say about tonight. Starting line-up - surely a joke. By the end of the match our defensive line was walker, delph, herd and clark. Great.

Bannan and Petrov stood out to me as our worst performers, with Stan taking the top prize. He had given up after 15 mins - great from the club captain. Bannan misplaced about 40 passes.

We could have given City a game with our first XI, but we had surrendered before KO. Just very disappointed really, our season is now over.

Again, fans were brilliant, looking forward to Bolton away if a similar lot are going...

And a special mention to the City **** who ambushed a few of us Villa outside the ground. Cheers.

i travelled up to machester today, and i was disappointed when i saw the team sheet, houllier on the aston villa website the other day stated that his long term aim was to bring trophies back to aston villa. How can this be when he plays a weakened team against manchester city at home. I mean fans like me travelled up there all in high spirits and the spirit was gone when we saw the team sheet. There was no need to rest players, and ok even if he did, then making changes at the 70th minute. everything was going wrong at half time, so surely make the changes then. Villas problem has always been this, i mean look at the last two years in europe you fight all year to gain a spot, then you play youths against vienna and then we lose it just seems pointless trying for the whole season.

I will stand by the players as to be honest i do not believe it was all there fault, they were been playd out of position against a good manchester city side.... all i can say is what a way to demoralize the youth.

The only competition we have any chance in. League season written off. So he plays a shit **** team and resigns to defeat. Season over.

City played TWO attacking players, should have really had a go.

3 games in march ffs. He wasnt resting players, just rotation i guess. **** angry.

Quality atmosphere last ten mins though. About 100 of us outsung all the dirty mancs.

Shocking result and team selection.

Mr. Houllier - thanks for buying Darren Bent, you're free to go now.

This is not just a reaction to this game - it is to this season as a whole, I personally dont think he is the right man or personality to manage Aston Villa Football Club. MON was a very frustrating manager but he was a manager who got results, I think his time had come at Vill a too by the way but GH is a very frustrating manager who is not getting results and is in no way endearing himself to the Villa supporter base or even attempting to.

I applaud him for giving the young lads match time but playing same young players out of preferred position can shatter confidence as much as playing them can increase their confidence.

His treatment of Ireland, Warnock and Beye is questionable, international players - two of which could have played tonight but for a disgruntled manager with his nose out of joint. At least Beye and Warnock, all though no worldbeaters, are in fact fullbacks.

This season has seen us go backwards in a big way - hopefully that does not lead to an exodus of players, hopefully it just leads to an exodus of management staff.

My opinion is we need to start next season with a new manager. I do not believe we will win anything under Mr. Houllier.

I have to ask again. Do any of you realise the priorities we have? Would you have liked it if one of our first 11 got seriously injured today and enhanced our slump into the championship?

We should rest our first 11 against Bolton on saturday then, incase 1 of them gets seriously injured. And then there's the Wolves game after, that will be fiesty. Best leave them out to prevent injury.

Obviously because Bolton is also a knockout competetion that will not aid us with 3 more points towards safety. We should all realise by now that this is a season of transition. Our squad is not there yet we just have to accept that. It's also good long term experience for the kids and i'm sure after tweaking and adding to the squad we will be much better off in the long run for it.

Just got back from the match, I gotta say the fans played there part, last 10mins were funny as hell. I was optimistic that we could sneak a win today think that the team selection was all wrong to be honest. End of the day blues won a cup on sunday and ball was in our court, we all played on saturday so your telling me modern day proffessionals cant be match fit or focused from saturday till wednesday. I believe in breathing the kids through gradually but it was too much change to sudden and for no particular reason.

Bannan got my vote as MOTM was the only player that really put a shift in, he tried to stamp his authority on game with creative flair.

Houiller's tactics do baffle the **** out of me swapping delfonz on the wing for albrighton, playing stan(who doesnt there atm) my team for tonight would have been

Friedal,Kyle Walker,Richard Dunne,Ciaran Clark,Delph,downing,reo coker,bannan,albrighton,ashley young ,gabby.

Subs:Marshall Herd,Stan,Del fonz,Pires

Â