The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

The Western media is nowhere near as good as the media in the ME or the independent watch groups for exposing IS crimes. I expect another fluff piece on soft government such as the series we had in Vice News.

"Look, the locals want us here" [as we execute their tribal leaders and exact a tithe on those that we haven't yet got around to murdering].

Incidentally a mass grave was found yesterday near Haditha with the victims being locals capped in the head.

Edited by Ads

Massive raid in Australia yesterday, dozens of Aussie muslims with connections to IS were arrested, with one particular plot revealed to publicly behead a random person in Sydney...there's a huge muslim population in Oz, mostly Lebanese and Syrians, many of whom feel marginalized by Australian society, and probably have no qualms about carrying out atrocities. Good work by Aussie intelligence.

Massive raid in Australia yesterday, dozens of Aussie muslims with connections to IS were arrested, with one particular plot revealed to publicly behead a random person in Sydney...there's a huge muslim population in Oz, mostly Lebanese and Syrians, many of whom feel marginalized by Australian society, and probably have no qualms about carrying out atrocities. Good work by Aussie intelligence.

Meanwhile 200+  from the Muslim community in Sydney were said to be protesting about the raids.

It would be interesting to see what the evidence entailed. The current Prime Minister is deeply unpopular after making a shambles of the budget. This whole 'terrorists in our midsts' has been perfectly timed for him.

Edited by LondonLax

Meanwhile 200+  from the Muslim community in Sydney were said to be protesting about the raids.

I'd rather 200+ ruffled feathers than 1 single innocent person have their head severed off in a city square. Assuming that the intelligence was correct and the apprehended will be proven guilty, I've no problem if they went in there and scared people out of bed and broke a few windows. Hopefully the courts will determine that the police actions were appropriate given the threat. If they were too heavy handed, then at least the offended live in a country where they can pursue legal recourse. 

It would be interesting to see what the evidence entailed. The current Prime Minister is deeply unpopular after making a shambles of the budget. This whole 'terrorists in our midsts' has been perfectly timed for him.

Intercepted phone calls, presumable recorded. Doesn't seem like a conspiracy by the PM/Government to me if that is what you are suggesting. 

No I doubt a government conspiracy. I was more wondering how much talk and bravado goes on every day that never gets acted on by either the angry young men in those neighbourhoods or the police who keep tabs on these things.

I am interested to see how the story develops. It's a great time politically to have a national emergency.

More than 800 police involved in raids which lead to the detention of 15 people (nine of whom were released and two charged - one for possession of an unauthorised weapon and possessing ammunition without a licence) doesn't sound like a tight 'intelligence-led' operation. Sounds like a public demonstration of (political) intent.

I wonder how many of the 'ruffled feathers' may be more susceptible to radicalization after this event?

• Like 2

Muslim people are publicly praying for the two kidnapped Brits.

See? They do have good people :)

Did anyone say they didn't?

There are some people who have been slightly sceptical of the religion as a whole, particularly in their regards to "Where are the people against the beheadings?".

September 19th 1893 - New Zealand gives women the vote

September 19th 2014 - women cannot drive in Saudi Arabia in case it turns their husbands homosexual

September 19th 2014 - Scotland gets a free and democratic vote on what nation it wants to be in the future, decides to stick with what it's got

September 19th 2014 - some problems remain in Iraq and Syria

gives thanks to the random universe / your god / the window cleaner for where you were born

I wonder how many of the 'ruffled feathers' may be more susceptible to radicalization after this event?

I reckon that's not high on the Aussie's list of concerns if they arrested the guys who intended to do these beheadings. Just as it wouldn't be much of a British police concern if they broke a couple of wrong doors down while arresting the two guys who ended up beheading Lee Rigby.

I reckon that's not high on the Aussie's list of concerns...

If it isn't then it ought to be (on their list, on our list, on the US's list, on anyone's list - that is if we might want to see an end to the same kind of cycle). Edited by snowychap

I think it's more of the attitude that goes with it (I don't know what their raid was like - it may well have been very well mannered with lots of friendly knocking on doors and cups of tea), that is: in terms of policing, law making, lack of accountability (see the reports on the police and politicians comments to the press) and so on.

Trotted out by many is the line about defending our freedom(s) as much as our person(s) with the often implicit (though sometimes explicit) caveat that, of course, we might need to temporarily and for some certain types of people set them aside a bit (or more).

Edited by snowychap

If a heavy handed police raid on an apartment block is enough to turn someone into a jihadist, I'm guessing they'd have to be pretty well indoctrinated already.

That isn't what I said or suggested, though, is it?

It wasn't about someone waking up the next day fully radicalized and wanting to kill for a cause but about increasing susceptibility to radicalization amongst those (innocent at the time) who may have been on the receiving end of a police raid because of the community of which they are/were a part and because someone wanted to chuck 800 odd officers at it (again it may well have been that number of officers conducting a very well natured series of dawn doorstep investigations).

Â