415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep making excuses, the fact you're hinting that he's doing a good job while we are in the mix of a relegation battle is ridiculous.

Good managers can come in and install confidence.

Good managers can come in and change ideas without unrest.

You always go on about people making excuses...

Do you really think if we had the same amount of injurys as your average premiership club this year we'd be in this position still?

I certainly do not. So therefore it's not an excuse... it's a reason.

So how about stop dismissing them?

I think the fact most senior players when fit haven't performed makes the injury excuse a poor one.

I think the fact we've had a near fully fit squad for the past 5 games and managed 2 points shows the injury excuse is a poor one.

Its taken this seasons debacle to show what a rotten regime MON had put in place. It was sub-standard at every level. Yes MON finished 6th, but should have done so much better, and his project was finished, redundant hence his departure. It remains to be seen whether GH is the right man, but he inherited a very poisoned chalice, and we should never judge a manager until the season's end.

We look more settled already, and with a few new faces wanting to play for the manager, I am sure we will see Houlliers team (rather than MON's) will finish with much promise for next season.

And your basing this on what?

Keep making excuses, the fact you're hinting that he's doing a good job while we are in the mix of a relegation battle is ridiculous.

Good managers can come in and install confidence.

Good managers can come in and change ideas without unrest.

You always go on about people making excuses...

Do you really think if we had the same amount of injurys as your average premiership club this year we'd be in this position still?

I certainly do not. So therefore it's not an excuse... it's a reason.

So how about stop dismissing them?

I think the fact most senior players when fit haven't performed makes the injury excuse a poor one.

I think the fact we've had a near fully fit squad for the past 5 games and managed 2 points shows the injury excuse is a poor one.

They arent excuses but we may as well get behind the manager till the end of the season. Its not been great but performances have improved immeasurably. Remember our most important player of recent weeks was out today and we still should have won, when Lionel is back with a re-juvenated Webcam, we will be better.

No one else available who is decent, so lets get behind the lads.

I would have no issue with k mac taking over and taking until the end of the season if needed in order to find the right man.

I don't see how anyone could do much worse.

The fact the argument for keeping him is about lack of available options and bad time of the year shows how badly he is doing.

Even good managers don't do well all the time (Moyes?), that doesn't mean they should be sacked after half a season, especially given the circumstances at our club (sudden loss of an 'ingrained' manager, no transfer window, sudden injury crisis). Hopefully Randy is looking to the medium term and will give GH until this time next year to prove we on the right track (top half would be good to start!).

You say it can't be any worse; if K Mac was appointed and with 5 games to we were bottom 5 points behind 17th, should Randy sack K Mac, and for whom?

Even good managers don't do well all the time (Moyes?),

You're right, managers and players will usually go through bad patches, what helps them is past performances, everton will stick with moyes because he's proven he can do it, liverpool won't drop torres because he's proved he is class.

He's had long enough to show something, show some spark that he could be the man to take us on a level but he hasn't.

i've just had 3 texts,,,2 off villa fans n one off a baggies fan saying houlliers been sacked?surely thats someone read the spahic agents interview on sky sports site and took it cuz we never actualy beat SHA hes been sacked?

can't see him sackin him now anyway,,lets face it,,we still need players in so changing a manager now would be silly as it would mean no more signings,last 4 games is proving we getting the fight back in us now,,and today proved if we had a goal scorer we'd be climbin the table no problem

(sudden loss of an 'ingrained' manager, no transfer window, sudden injury crisis).

These mean nothing to a football club they're just excuses *rolls eyes*

Even with these we shouldn't be 2 points off the bottom.

Roll your eyes all you want, if you think thats acceptable and we couldn't have expected more then carry on enjoying it.

Unfortunately for our club GH made a few mistakes that were seized on, some with more drama than necessary

I don't think our results under houllier have been seized upon with more dram than necessary, they are terrible and thats the most important thing.

I think so called issues are being exaggerated as yet another excuse for houllier.

I was referring to the wailing about GH's 'so called' love-in with another club.

I disagree very strongly with your last statement. In my opinion there are a few fans who really can't grasp the size of the issues inherited by GH and also struggle to look past the very, very short term.

Unfortunately for our club GH made a few mistakes that were seized on, some with more drama than necessary

I don't think our results under houllier have been seized upon with more dram than necessary, they are terrible and thats the most important thing.

I think so called issues are being exaggerated as yet another excuse for houllier.

I was referring to the wailing about GH's 'so called' love-in with another club.

I disagree very strongly with your last statement. In my opinion there are a few fans who really can't grasp the size of the issues inherited by GH also and struggle to look past the very, very short term.

I think there are plenty who can see certain issues and except a drop this season was going to happen, some just don't think those issues should see us in the position we are.

I disagree very strongly with your last statement. In my opinion there are a few fans who really can't grasp the size of the issues inherited by GH and also struggle to look past the very, very short term.

Agreed. And unfortunately it's these fans who are the loudest and very repetitive.

Its taken this seasons debacle to show what a rotten regime MON had put in place. It was sub-standard at every level. Yes MON finished 6th, but should have done so much better, and his project was finished, redundant hence his departure. It remains to be seen whether GH is the right man, but he inherited a very poisoned chalice, and we should never judge a manager until the season's end.

We look more settled already, and with a few new faces wanting to play for the manager, I am sure we will see Houlliers team (rather than MON's) will finish with much promise for next season.

And your basing this on what?

Playing the same 11 players irrespective of form all season resulting in second half of season collapse; only ever having plan a "a"; refusing to use substitutes; not bothering to buy a right back for a year; playing RB's at LB, and centre backs at RB; having no scouting system to speak of; having no confidence in our youth system and thus refusing to invest in continuity; squandering resources bringing in second rate players on scandalous wages and not playing them; generally struggled in the transfer market; lost the dressing room (GH never had the dressing room as the lunatics were already running the asylum)..... and so much more.

This is not good management.

I will admit MON was the right man when he joined and credit is due for a wembley final, finishing 6th 3 times, buying Ash, Milner and Delph, always showing passion on the touchline and in interviews and generally respecting the fans, but he did not build an empire, he was an of-the-moment manager. He ran off like a coward - it was his bed and didn't fancy lying in it, says it all. I lost all respect for him after that.

I disagree very strongly with your last statement. In my opinion there are a few fans who really can't grasp the size of the issues inherited by GH also and struggle to look past the very, very short term.

I think there are plenty who can see certain issues and except a drop this season was going to happen, some just don't think those issues should see us in the position we are.

As serious as the issues were, perhaps we should be 5 or 6 points better off than we are at the moment? That would see us in mid-table. I just don't see what good changing to A. N. Other manager would do at this stage of the season. It's not liked we went for an unproven young manager in the hope he did well, GH is proven and deserves more time, unless a change would guarantee an improvement.

I don't think there are any Villa fans who see this as an acceptable position to be in regardless of what excuses we may have.

But I think that most logical football fans can see that the way out of this is not by gettin rid of the manager right now. Surely you can see that this would only plunge us into more turmoil. We've won in the cup, we got a draw against our most bitter rivals away. We're out of the relegation zone and we're coming into some very tough games.

What good can come from gettin rid of a manager now... when its possible we may be on the verge of turning this around.

If we could take a point from city and beat wigan I think we'd be on the road to mid table mediocrity. Which I would have settled for as the minimum when GH came in.

Now I except that those are very big ifs..

I except all the points that another manager would have come in and made the most of what he had, not caused so much disruption and turmoil and maybe gone through the season getting average results. This clearly isnt GH's style. He came in, didnt like certain things that he saw and tried to change it. Has it worked so far? no.

Will it work? I think so.

He's a manager with proven ability. He's very stubborn and that has been his downfall this season. He tried to quickly to change to much, he rocked the boat and refused to back down on certain things. But he is still a quality manager.

At the end of the season, if we finish 16th or 17th, i still think he can attract his type of players to the club. The type of players that can take us forward.

This season is a disaster, nothing good can come from it (except an unexpected cup victory..!) We need to build for next year and secure our place in the league and the only way to do that is to let the manager get his own players in.

Playing the same 11 players irrespective of form all season resulting in second half of season collapse; only ever having plan a "a"; refusing to use substitutes; not bothering to buy a right back for a year; playing RB's at LB, and centre backs at RB; having no scouting system to speak of; having no confidence in our youth system and thus refusing to invest in continuity; squandering resources bringing in second rate players on scandalous wages and not playing them; generally struggled in the transfer market; lost the dressing room (GH never had the dressing room as the lunatics were already running the asylum)..... and so much more.

This is not good management.

I will admit MON was the right man when he joined and credit is due for a wembley final, finishing 6th 3 times, buying Ash, Milner and Delph, always showing passion on the touchline and in interviews and generally respecting the fans, but he did not build an empire, he was an of-the-moment manager. He ran off like a coward - it was his bed and didn't fancy lying in it, says it all. I lost all respect for him after that.

This, this and er... THIS! :thumb:

Â