Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Frobisher

See, I never thought MW3 was a particularly bad looking game before. The thing that was jarring when I booted it up the other day was the resolution, just how low it is. I know the Call of Duty games are rendered at sub HD resolutions on consoles (1080 x 600) and then upscaled to match the TV, but going from extended sessions of a 1920 x 1080 game back to that really did make MW3 look ropey. I think 2011 is the first time I have genuinely felt that console games are looking tired, and while I think we are two years away from being able to buy a new console I am really glad they are coming. The current machines (360 & PS3) were designed at a time when people werent totally sure what kind of displays they would be connected to and launched at a time when most people still had standard definition screens. Now we are in a world where the majority of people have a 1080p screen and I think that 1080p will remain the standard for a while now, even if PC resolutions are pushing double that, and having consoles which can do 1080p at 60fps with ease will be very nice.

Was just going down a large spiral staircase in a Dwenmer ruin, shot a Draugr with my bow and it fell off the edge. Get to the bottom to find its body lying on top of another Draugr it must have fell on and killed.

Is this now my favourite game ever? Yes.

I just bought Frenzy, a spell which makes the target attack the nearest thing to them. I thought it might be handy in a dungeon to clear out a crowded room before I have to enter it, but it is more fun in and around towns. I zapped a lady (from quite a distance away) outside of Whiterun and she just flipped out. There was nobody around to attack so she ran off and the first thing she saw was a chicken, so she stabbed it to death and chased after another one. A guard saw this, walked into range, popped her in the head with an arrow and walked back to his post after she died. I casually walked over and looted some gold and a ring of +sneak from her, said hello to the guard and carried on into the town. :lol:

My illusion and sneak skills are quite high and I got a pretty sweet dagger and some gear to boost 1h weapons from The Dark Brotherhood chain. I decided to solo a dungeon rather than take a mate with me so I could go through with invisibility on one hand and the dagger on the other. I get 30x damage for sneak attacks so I can cast invisibility, walk up behind a guy and...

W7pyNl.jpg

BAM!

I married Aela and told her that we would live in my home in Whiterun and when I got there she was no where to be found. I searched Jorrvaskr and she wasn't there. I read that she owns some farm outside of whiterun but I searched and couldn't find it. Can one of you lend a hand here and explain?

I've got 70k gold at the moment, I don't really seem to be spending anything. I've got 3 houses, 2 of which are fully 'upgraded', but don't buy any weapons or armour and get on OK with using the potions I find. My gold intake has skyrocketed recently though as I've started actually finishing off some of the proper quests I have, and getting some decent reward gold from them. Aswell as that I bought the 'more gold' and 'more frequesnt special weapon finds' perks, so I've made alot of money out of that too. I figure I'll keep saving until I get 100k for the achievment, and then spend the majority of it on training

grand soul gems and other soul gems for charging enchanting weapons.

I have 5 weapons with enchantments

takes a lot of gems

On a quest in the thieves guild and I did something at the end of a dungeon which summons a (scripted) fight against a named boss and three high level guards.

nwinVl.jpg

CkSpJl.jpg

O0jcGl.jpg

Unfortunately for those people I had also just dinged 100 in Destruction. I now have a proton pack of doom spell and the first time I get to use it in anger was almost the perfect situation. I was up high, they were down low. I sent my demon from the Sanguine Rose down to distract them then just rained down a hose of electrical death. I think they will have to dispose of the bodies with a dyson vacuum cleaner rather than a stretcher. :mrgreen:

I'm guessing the majority of us have ventured into many a dungeon now; favourites?

The game continues to surprise me, I journeyed through 2 totally unexpected and brilliant dungeons last night. One was from in a Lighthouse, Frostflow I think it was called. I presume you can pick up the quest elsewhere, but I just stumbled in there expecting to find some friendly folk. How wrong was I! A murder mystery. And the dungeon just kept going and going. Wonderful.

Also did Peryite's quest last night, who sends you off to a Dwemer 'ruin' after you summon him. It's the best Dwemer city I've been in thus far, huge sprawling place, just went on and on. It's nice how each of them feels different aswell, that one had an arena like thing, there was a button up near the top to press which turned on some gizmos to chop up whoever was in the middle of the arena :D I guess they were a blood hungry lot those dwarves.

Actually finished the Yarl of Whiterun's quest from the start of the main quest line too, so I should be getting random Dragons now :)

My game save is practically unplayable now. It's ok for about 30 mins and then the stuttering starts, after a few minutes it's like watching a **** Powerpoint presentation.

I thought the PS3 patch was supposed to solve the issue, not make it worse.

Not sure if that's the main reason, but my enthusiasm for the game is beginning to wane a little too. It's still easily one of my favourite games of the year but I'm just not finding the story and world as immersive as Oblivion. I may just proceed onto the main quest now and get that finished and then hope a new patch turns up soon.

Yeah, I have been reading all sorts about the problems with the PS3 version. Something to do with the size of your save file, which is insane to me. Apparently the PS3 struggles to remember the location of everything in the game (ie, if you kill somebody in hour one then his body will still be there in hour fifty, ditto with everything you loot or move) and it doesnt seem like a solvable problem as the PS3 only has 256mb of RAM. My year old phone has more than that!

It's ridiculous to be honest. I think my save is probably one of the worst ones as i've clocked 65 hours on it (anything above 60 hours can cause FPS as low as zero :shock: )

My PC could have run it comfortably but my addiction to Trophy hunting has undone me again. :(

Mulling over a purchase of this?

Dropping to half price at Gamestation online right now (possibly in store too at some time). So £22.49 for one of the best games of the year by a mile.

EDIT - Confirmed in-store too, though not sure of when exactly it comes on.

It's ridiculous to be honest. I think my save is probably one of the worst ones as i've clocked 65 hours on it (anything above 60 hours can cause FPS as low as zero :shock: )

My PC could have run it comfortably but my addiction to Trophy hunting has undone me again. :(

You get Steam achievements!

Okay, Steam achievements are done on a game by game basis rather than contribute to an overall score, but the great thing about Steam is how you can see how everybody else in the world is doing too. Again, I presume the PC, PS3 and 360 achievements are identical so even if you are playing on console it is worth clicking this link to see what the most common and rarest achievements are.

Â