Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

Guessing this has been posted but Thompson rejected Houllier because...

But Thompson said: "While it was both flattering to be asked, not to mention hugely enticing, I really had no other choice but to turn the offer down.

"When you work with Gerard, you are signing up to 12 hour days. On top of that, you have to go to reserve games, scout players and also head off to check up on forthcoming opponents - in other words, you have to be totally committed.

"Now don't get me wrong, I would love to throw myself at such a challenge again but, at the same time, I do not want to uproot my wife and my two boys; I'm not someone who could live away from them through the week.

"What's more, the thought of doing a daily commute on the M6 does not appeal.

"We all know that stretch of road, at the best of times, can resemble a car park but to do the job properly, you really have to be living in the vicinity of the training ground.

"I would have been cheating Gerard, the club and the fans and that would not have been fair; Aston Villa are a terrific club with a great history and I remember only too well being on the end of a 5-1 drubbing there in 1976.

"It's fantastic to see Gerard back in the game and I have absolutely no doubt that he will do a terrific job.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Our average PL finish is 6th

-The last three seasons we've finished 6th

So, yes I would say he's underselling us by saying (7th-12th). I actually find it a bit worrying tbh.

No our average (by mean) premier league finish is 8th-9th.

Considering our last three seasons though I do think he has underestimated in his perceptions of us.

Perhaps he has not watched the premier league since he left Liverpool :lol:

If you did that to Spurs for instance you would get about 12. something.

Very good point, say O'Neill becames Spurs boss tomorrow and said:

"Spurs are not a club on the same level as Aston Villa, let's be objective and honest.

"It's a club that according to me has belonged between seventh and 12th place in the Premier League.

Are you telling me spurs fans wouldn't go mad?

There's a bit of a difference between comparing Spurs to Villa, and Villa to Liverpool.

Not a whole lot.

Villas history is much richer than Spurs.

Villas european credentials are much higher than Spurs

Villa have finished higher than Spurs most years in the Premiership

Villa would be bigger globally than Spurs.

At the moment Villa may not have as much money to spend as Spurs but I doubt Liverpool have as much money to spend as Villa at the moment.

-Our average PL finish is 6th

-The last three seasons we've finished 6th

So, yes I would say he's underselling us by saying (7th-12th). I actually find it a bit worrying tbh.

Lets not let the actual facts get in the way of a good moan eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: in response to AVFC-POB's quote about PT's reasons for not coming to Villa.

Yeah, I read that on the "Liverpool Echo"'s website, quite a good read. Fair reasons for Thompson to say no to us

"Spurs are not a club on the same level as Aston Villa, let's be objective and honest.

"It's a club that according to me has belonged between seventh and 12th place in the Premier League.

There's a bit of a difference between comparing Spurs to Villa, and Villa to Liverpool.

Not a whole lot.

At the moment Villa may not have as much money to spend as Spurs but I doubt Liverpool have as much money to spend as Villa at the moment.

Why aren't we then?

Not a whole lot.

Why aren't we then?

Why aren't we as big as Liverpool? is that what you're asking?

Not a whole lot.

Why aren't we then?

Why aren't we as big as Liverpool? is that what you're asking?

Sorry I want to know why we aren't as big as Spurs globally. According to the post we are 'bigger and better' in every way but worldwide they have a bigger fan base then us and despite a smaller ground a bigger turnover then us.

Jesus Christ, I have just had the misfortune of listening to Cascarino on Talkshite.

Basically saying that we are in a false position this season so far, doesnt rate Houllier, saying Randy's money has gone etc, etc. Painting a very bleak picture indeed.

The bloke doesn't have a clue about our club. He is basing his opinion on what is reported in the media. I hope Gerard and the boys ram his words down his Cockney/Irish/Italian throat.

Â