Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quiet possibly his best ever game at Villa Park today for us. He tracked back well too. Problem is no one is on his level when it comes to reading the game (bar zoggy at times).

Top player.

Exactly what we were saying. He is way ahead of everyone else in terms of ability and vision.

From what I saw on Football First - class act. One of the biggest enigmas in all of football IMO, has the vision and touch you'd expect to see in a top European side but whether he can produce it on a consistent basis and combine it with hard work around the pitch is a different story.

He has been so good lately, and I like that he is getting stuck in to tackles more too. There were several moments in the game where he was chasing back and harassing their players which isn't his natural game so pleased he is doing it.

Although hes had a few decent games this season i still say we should be looking to replace him. Still far too inconsistent and i think we could give that 70 grand a week he gets to somebody whos hungrier and does it more consistently.

Although hes had a few decent games this season i still say we should be looking to replace him. Still far too inconsistent and i think we could give that 70 grand a week he gets to somebody whos hungrier and does it more consistently.

Like the manager then?

Suppose so but i dont see why Ireland gets talked about as some sort of genius on here whilst mcleish gets grief.

Mcleish aint on 70 grand a week btw

McLeish gets paid around £38k a week if my calculations are correct.

Suppose so but if thats the case i dont see why Ireland gets talked about as some sort of genius on here whilst mcleish gets grief.

Could be because Ireland's doing a good job and McLeish isn't?

Not sure about this 'inconsistency' schtick either. Barring Keane, Ireland's consistently been our best performer for something like 10 games now (when he hasn't been dropped idiotically or subbed on too late).

He's a great player.

Finally replaced Merson. Who would have thought that 12 months ago?

A handful of good games and he is the new Merson. I'm amazed how easy he reached such dizzy heights. This guy has done everything but set the world on fire, and became a millionaire in doing it. Not until he actually does something for Villa other than getting rich, should he gain such accolade.

... but mcleish is the only manager thus far who has managed to make Ireland 'good'?

Explain that one

Don't forget Sven.

Ireland seems to be a player who needs to be loved, needs to be handled with kid gloves and made the center of attention. McLeish has handled him well.

Even a f-eck like Eck had to get something right eventually.

... but mcleish is the only manager thus far who has managed to make Ireland 'good'?

Explain that one

McLeish didn't 'make' Ireland good. Eck deserves some credit for being the first manager to give Ireland a sustained run in the second striker/in-the-hole role.

By exactly the same token, he deserves every bit of abuse that gets chucked at him for the abysmal win percentage and performances this season. McLeish's job doesn't revolve solely around getting performances out of Stephen Ireland, but Stephen Ireland's job does.