Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I saw somewhere that SI,Carew and Warnock were frozen out again and didn't travel for the game tomorrow. I think houllier has hinted a couple of times that SI would be at 'some stage' involved when that is who knows!

I didn't want Ireland and I'm not bothered if he goes, I just don't think he's that good a midfielder to be honest. Houllier doesn't fancy him either for personality reasons, it seems, so I'd be surprised if there is anyway back for him here.

However, if they did find it in themselves to change, and Houllier opened the door, I'd like to experiment playing him up front.

I didn't want Ireland and I'm not bothered if he goes, I just don't think he's that good a midfielder to be honest. Houllier doesn't fancy him either for personality reasons, it seems, so I'd be surprised if there is anyway back for him here.

However, if they did find it in themselves to change, and Houllier opened the door, I'd like to experiment playing him up front.

I remember seeing Ireland play his first few games for city 5/6 years ago and was impressed with his technique and vision and even at that young age was ahead of bannon IMO. Ireland is a talent it's there to see in glimpses unfortunately that's not enough I really rate him but his performances so far have been poor and he's the sort of player who needs an arm around his shoulder.

At the moment we need fighters, petrov for me has that passion but his legs are gone and I don't think this is the time for SI but if he wants a career he needs to step up big time.

I hope Ireland does come back in to the fold. I can't see the 'top 5' clubs coming in for him and the only other clubs are the likes of Sunderland or Newcastle. I think he wants to stay and I think he will come back into the fold. We need a squad. That newspaper guy on twitter said he saw Warnock driving home so he was not on the coach there. I would like to know if Ireland was. Ireland, Cummings, Walker, Delfouneso all to start tomorrow I hope.

Daniel Agger is about as injury prone as Martin Laursen no thanks if were talking danish defenders id rather have simon kjaer

Agger would suit the "playing from the back" philosophy Houllier is supposedly espousing perfectly, though, and if capable of maintaining his fitness, is a fantastic player. Kjaer is more blood and guts, which we already have, and would probably be at least £15m, as he just went to Wolfsburg in the Summer for €12m. I'd take Agger without a second thought if Ireland's not going to get a look in here.

Ireland to feature tomorrow? Houllier said he will get a chance.

I hope so, it's pointless having Pires on the bench.

Pires may be making room on the bench if GH takes exception to the reports in the Daily Telegraph reputedly with Pires sharing problems besetting the club.

Ireland to feature tomorrow? Houllier said he will get a chance.

I hope so, it's pointless having Pires on the bench.

Pires may be making room on the bench if GH takes exception to the reports in the Daily Telegraph reputedly with Pires sharing problems besetting the club.

Maybe, or was it intentionally leaked in the hope that it would paint the players as the villains?

Nah I don't think he's going to be given a chance while we're in a relegation battle, once we get out of it and are comfortably mid table then he'll be given a run of games. He keeps being given one game here and there though which is ridiculously short sighted as one game where a player is subbed off after 60 minutes does not give a lasting impression.

The club are still prepared to listen for offers for him but he is adamant he doesn't want to leave.

Don't expect to see much of him this month but, if he's still here in February, I hope Houllier is true to his word about him having a role to play.

So ireland doesnt want to leave? why is he not even getting on the villa bench then surely he has enough quality is it the manager refusing to let bygones be bygones because this feud is an expensive one paying a player something like 60 - 70k a week for doing practically nothing sort it out Ged.

I still think this could be one hell of a signing if he can get his head sorted. If nothing else, he needs to play decent to move on, as he's not played regular football for over 2 years which for a player of his talent is a scandal but is his fault.