Stephen Ireland

Richard

I don't think Ireland has done himself any favours by living in Manchester and commuting for training etc and not showing the club the commitment. A the end of the day the club recognised that he could add value to this team and put some trust in him despite the fact that he hasn't played much football and he needs to show the club he actually wants to make a go of this and throw his all into trying to adjust and fit in. That is something we haven't seen from Stephen Ireland and until he shows this I'm fully behind Houllier in his treatment of Ireland.

Any player with a family needs to be cut some slack in this regard. It takes time to move children with schools to be considered etc. I don't see why Ireland has been singled out on this point. Warnock has been here over a year and he still hasn't moved down.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole Ireland saga is going well over the top. He is seen to some as a hate figure, when apart from a nightclub visit and a few average performances he's not really done anything. Then the Houlliers comments, FFS get a grip guys he's hardly said anything worth worrying about either. So he said he wont pick him in that position again, oh no how will Aston Villa continue how will Ireland cope. And if Houllier is as mental as some people think do you really think other managers are going to be put off by him saying things, of course they arent. They either want to take Ireland or they dont, they dont suddenly think oooh Gerard has said he doesnt play well there or he hasnt fitted in at Villa he wont fit in here. They have their own mind and if they want him then they will pay the asking price, which wont go down just because of a nothing comments rightly or wrongly made by Houllier.

Theres often the argument that the modern football player has gone soft and the game isnt as hard as it used to be well you could attribute that softness to some supporters as well.

Come off it, If Ireland wanted to counter-act this he easily could, he has been using his agent to press an issue, who told the media about a scheduled meeting? Ireland did, hence questions asked to Houller. If Ireland really wants to stay he could come out and say so, but silence on this occasion speaks volumes for me, and for him being more interested in suing Man City for a poxy few million instead of his Villa career says volumes. Gazton i know you have a contact in this with Ireland but he is by no means whiter than white in this even if he is painting this picture to his friend. Why hasn't he got himself a place in Birmingham if he see's this as a club he wants to be at? He really does not want to be here and his actions of him and his agent are really showing this. As for Houllier's latest comments, I'd say he's hit the nail on the head.

Throughout his career, he hasn't been one to make comments like you want him to. He has, however, been quoted about how he wants to fit in, he wants to do well and he appreciates it will take time to get to know the way his teammates play. I agree, his agent is a leech. However, I am very sure that Ireland wants to stay. That was what he said in his meeting with Houllier last week. He wants to fight for a place. He was told, in no uncertain terms, that he was not wanted at the club. He was told he didn't fit in the managers plans and he was asked to submit a transfer request.

As for him not having a place in Birmingham, he was never asked to move. He has been given accommodation by the club (as have a number of other players) which suits his current needs. He is reluctant to move him family because he knows his future here is uncertain.

He is being forced out of the club. The manager upset him by making comments to the press, comments which he apologised for. The manager has asked him to submit a transfer request, which he refused to do. The manager has, since then, gone on the offensive through the media knowing that his comments will upset SI, a player he has admitted is sensitive to that kind of criticism.

As for suing Man City, why is that a problem? It's not as if he is working on the legal case himself? His lawyers say "Man City are refusing to pay the £1.5 million they agreed. Do you want us to fight them for it?". What would you say in that instance?

I think it's disgraceful that Houllier is airing this dirty linen in public. It's not the way I like our club to be working.

there does seem to be a lot of crap coming out of GH's mouth. but dont forget this isnt his team, this is MONs and Ireland wasnt his signing. there are going to be several things he isnt happy with at the club, but over the course of the year, as he stamps his GHness on the club, there will be alot less stuff he'll be happy about and im guessing alot less crap coming out of his mouth.... i hope!

If the General were still responding to us on here, id ask the following question:

"How does the media shy, articulate and well spoken owner of ours, Randy Lerner, react to the all the more regular outbursts by our manager in the press which seem to do nothing but bring negative publicity over our club, and particular players?"

Houllier should shut the **** up and concentrate on making the defenders able to keep clean sheets, and the strikers score goals, rather than make himself look like an unschooled moron in the press.

That, is my two pennies on Monsieur Houllier.

A manager is asked a question and answers - i don't see the problem and the specifics of what he said are incorrect. We have just been used to MON's way of answering without answering and now someone tells it like it is everyone is up in arms.

This could all mean he will play ireland somewhere else

well if he says it how it is then tell us he is playing ireland summit else. Dont just say Im not stupid il not do that again.

The wording is appaling.

He can tell it like it is without saying stuff like this. There's a nice middle ground somewhere between MON and GED you know. And if a manager ever REALLY told it like it was, about every aspect of the club, they'd last roughly 5 seconds.
well i live in hope that this prick doesnt last much longer,these type of interviews are not needed like you say,all he has to do is keep his fat trap shut and he cant,he seems to me like the type of manager that craves for the limelight..

Come off it, If Ireland wanted to counter-act this he easily could, he has been using his agent to press an issue, who told the media about a scheduled meeting? Ireland did, hence questions asked to Houller. If Ireland really wants to stay he could come out and say so, but silence on this occasion speaks volumes for me, and for him being more interested in suing Man City for a poxy few million instead of his Villa career says volumes. Gazton i know you have a contact in this with Ireland but he is by no means whiter than white in this even if he is painting this picture to his friend. Why hasn't he got himself a place in Birmingham if he see's this as a club he wants to be at? He really does not want to be here and his actions of him and his agent are really showing this. As for Houllier's latest comments, I'd say he's hit the nail on the head.

Throughout his career, he hasn't been one to make comments like you want him to. He has, however, been quoted about how he wants to fit in, he wants to do well and he appreciates it will take time to get to know the way his teammates play. I agree, his agent is a leech. However, I am very sure that Ireland wants to stay. That was what he said in his meeting with Houllier last week. He wants to fight for a place. He was told, in no uncertain terms, that he was not wanted at the club. He was told he didn't fit in the managers plans and he was asked to submit a transfer request.

As for him not having a place in Birmingham, he was never asked to move. He has been given accommodation by the club (as have a number of other players) which suits his current needs. He is reluctant to move him family because he knows his future here is uncertain.

He is being forced out of the club. The manager upset him by making comments to the press, comments which he apologised for. The manager has asked him to submit a transfer request, which he refused to do. The manager has, since then, gone on the offensive through the media knowing that his comments will upset SI, a player he has admitted is sensitive to that kind of criticism.

As for suing Man City, why is that a problem? It's not as if he is working on the legal case himself? His lawyers say "Man City are refusing to pay the £1.5 million they agreed. Do you want us to fight them for it?". What would you say in that instance?

I think it's disgraceful that Houllier is airing this dirty linen in public. It's not the way I like our club to be working.

If this is true Gazton, Im lost for words!!

Big accusations there Gazton, and i'm pretty sure if True then why the hell would Ireland submit a transfer request? He would then forefit a transfer fee if moving so don't understand that one. For me his agent has a been using the press to leak information hence why Houllier is constantly being asked. If Ireland does not want to move then he should get his agent to do a constructive statement.

Also on the Man City, my point is again, this made the media when it should ideally be kept in house, the fact is he broke the agreement so why should be entitled to the fee? He slagged off Man City as soon as he signed on the dotted line.

I don't think Ireland has done himself any favours by living in Manchester and commuting for training etc and not showing the club the commitment. A the end of the day the club recognised that he could add value to this team and put some trust in him despite the fact that he hasn't played much football and he needs to show the club he actually wants to make a go of this and throw his all into trying to adjust and fit in. That is something we haven't seen from Stephen Ireland and until he shows this I'm fully behind Houllier in his treatment of Ireland.

Any player with a family needs to be cut some slack in this regard. It takes time to move children with schools to be considered etc. I don't see why Ireland has been singled out on this point. Warnock has been here over a year and he still hasn't moved down.

The point is that Houllier has pretty much said that he doesn't like Ireland doing this. If Ireland had plans afoot for moving his family surely the club would know and/or be able to help him find decent schools and get his ducks in a row.

If he is actually putting in his all on and off the pitch to adjust to life at Villa then I can accept that but what can't be accepted is if someone isn't making an effort. Like it or not you cannot commute that far every day and with the amount this club is paying him we deserve better from our investment.

Saying that, I can also fully appreciate where everyone else is coming from that having made this investment Houllier should be trying to maximise our return rather than depreciating the value of a very sale-able asset.

if this is true,and i have no reason to question you,GH is an even bigger peace of shite than i already thought,he's just a media tramp..

Gazton, have to ask you this question. You seemed pretty supportive of Houllier and have now changed opinion, would that be fair to say?

Following on from that would your opinion have changed if it had been directed at anyone other than Ireland?

Gazton, have to ask you this question. You seemed pretty supportive of Houllier and have now changed opinion, would that be fair to say?

Following on from that would your opinion have changed if it had been directed at anyone other than Ireland?

Yes, I've definitely changed my stance. I was supportive of the manager of my football club until I heard how he was conducting himself. Whilst I accept that there are 2 sides to every story, I have heard things from more than one source which have made my blood boil.

And yes, my opinion would be the same regardless of who he was treating in this way. It's indicative of very poor man-management which cannot be good for the club.

I don't wish to get into an argument with you Gazton but from the very first moment we were linked with SI you've been extremely bias in his favour due to the fact that you know someone who knows him.

If SI had shown anything that would suggest he might be a valuable asset then I doubt GH would be so eager to move him on, as it is he's obviously shown **** all and therefore, personally, I'm with GH in trying to get him out of the club.

We know we are not awash with money and having someone leeching £50k+ per week from the club is not helping, the likes of Bannan, Hogg and Albrighton have really shown up SI (and others) this season and earn a fraction of their over-inflated salaries.

All we keep hearing off SI 'fanboys' is that he works hard in training and that he wants to fit in, well **** show it then you prick! It's really not that difficult, you run until you begin to sweat and then you run some more, left foot in front of right foot and away you go Stephen.

It's all just **** rumours and hearsay anyway and probably bullshit in my best opinion.

We know we are not awash with money and having someone leeching £50k+ per week from the club is not helping, the likes of Bannan, Hogg and Albrighton have really shown up SI (and others) this season and earn a fraction of their over-inflated salaries.

Nail-Head

Yes, I've definitely changed my stance. I was supportive of the manager of my football club until I heard how he was conducting himself. Whilst I accept that there are 2 sides to every story, I have heard things from more than one source which have made my blood boil.

And yes, my opinion would be the same regardless of who he was treating in this way. It's indicative of very poor man-management which cannot be good for the club.

Ah right, so rather than give our manager the benefit of doubt we should condemn him on the basis of rumours?

In fact, I'm going to start believing rumours in general now, have you heard that North Korea are preparing to invade the UK in the New Year?

Tis about as credible as this bollox.....

Not fully supportive of GH but these comments are a little strange - he can't blame his poor command of English for them so why is he doing it?

If he wants to offload slating the player is not going to endear him to other clubs is it?

On the other hand SI is barking so who knows the truth - MM? do you ?

While Ireland has been a huge disappointment so far, so has Houllier, possibly to an evern bigger extent, so I'd suggest that the manager shuts his yap and concentrates on getting us out of the shit position we're in in the league.

Ah right, so rather than give our manager the benefit of doubt we should condemn him on the basis of rumours?

In fact, I'm going to start believing rumours in general now, have you heard that North Korea are preparing to invade the UK in the New Year?

Easy now, I'm not asking you to condemn the manager, I'm telling you my opinion based on something stronger than rumour.

However, people seemed happy to condemn the player based on a twitter feed which we know to be false.

this manager so far doesnt deserve the benefit of the doubt he has done nothing but talk shite to the media so far anyway..i dont really get why so many people are so convinced by him,he's a joke of a manager and we wont do shit under him anyway..