Stephen Ireland

Richard

It's where all our best chances seem to have come from, and they just happen to have the best left back in the league, IMO the World, playing for them.. meaning our best attacking threat will not only be nullified but that role will become more defensive because Cole is so good going forward. I think Ireland vs Mikel will be a good battle though, if indeed that is the formation.

One player that Cole has always struggled against is Gabby i think we should use it to our advantage

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of defenders struggle against Gabby and his pace. I don't think he has the disapline to keep an eye on Cole when he comes on the attack though, and if he does that would put him at the wrong of the pitch for us.

Alot of defenders struggle against Gabby and his pace. I don't think he has the disapline to keep an eye on Cole when he comes on the attack though, and if he does that would put him at the wrong of the pitch for us.

Cole does have the discipline to keep an eye on Gabby, though. He'll be forced to check his attacking forays to avoid leaving Gabby in space behind.

Cole does have the discipline to keep an eye on Gabby, though. He'll be forced to check his attacking forays to avoid leaving Gabby in space behind.

Worked a few years back at VP. Gabby was played out right and kept Cole pinned back for most the game.

Couple of times in the past we've put Gabby on the right wing against Chelsea to nulify Cole and it's worked a treat so wouldn't surprise me if that happens.

I think we'll start Ireland on saturday. Wolves and Stoke away were scraps that didn't really suit him but Spurs will be a more technical game.

I too would have Albrighton as an impact sub for the next few games.

Official Site

Villa played out a goalless draw against Birmingham City on Tuesday lunchtime in a specially arranged behind-closed-doors friendly.

An experienced claret and blues side containing Stephen Ireland, Curtis Davies and Steve Sidwell played at Blues' Wast Hills training ground.

Gerard Houllier and his new back room team were amongst the spectators on the sidelines who watched the profitable workout for a number of Villa stars.

Brad Guzan was called into action with 15 minutes on the clock. The USA shot stopper produced a great save to deny Nikola Zigic heading Blues into the lead.

Villa's best chance of the first half fell to Jonathan Hogg shortly before the interval. The midfielder picked up Barry Bannan's pass and unleashed a shot, but it could only find the side netting.

The woodwork denied the claret and blues from taking the lead on 65 minutes. Bannan's well worked corner with Ireland found Nathan Delfouneso lurking inside the penalty area. The striker's shot agonisingly hit the crossbar much to the relief of Blues goalkeeper Maik Taylor.

Thereafter, Villa stepped up the pressure on Blues in search of a winning goal and that almost arrived through Sidwell, but the midfielder put his shot past the post.

Late on Guzan produced a stunning save to deny one of Blues' substitutes a last-gasp goal.

Villa: Brad Guzan, Habib Beye, Curtis Davies, Ciaran Clark, Ellis Deeney, Jonathan Hogg, Steve Sidwell, Stephen Ireland, Daniel Johnson, Barry Bannan, Nathan Delfouneso

I was going to post this as a new thread but I don't know how many people will care that we drew 0-0 to sha in a "behind-closed-doors friendly"..

I'm guessing that Ireland will be available for the Spurs game.

One thing I am wondering is, did Ireland play in a central midfield 2 with Sidwell? Or did he play behind Delfouneso?

I reckon Ireland played behind Nathan as Hogg would have partnered Sidwell wouldnt he?

Ah yes, that'd make sense!

I wasn't sure because I knew Bannan could play centre mid and saw on the OS that Johnson can play left or central.

I reckon Ireland will start behind Heskey against Spurs.