Barry Bannan

villianusa

As said above, he's not being shifted because he's on £20k per week and that's too much, he's being shifted because he's not wanted by the club and the same would apply if he was on £5k or £50k per week.

I totally agree with this. He isn't good enough its as simple as that and in that sense the 20k a week is irrelevant.

However I still stand by my point that back in November 2010 after making less than a handful of Prem appearances he should not have been given a 4 year 20k a week contract. I very much doubt that the average 20 year old player in the Prem just making his way into the first team having come through the ranks is on anything like 20k a week.

The club have made some huge mistakes in the contracts they have handed out both to experienced players and now it seems the young players who have come through the ranks. The likes of Albrighton, Delfouneso and Bannan should not have been given the contracts it seems they were based on a handful of games in the top flight. None of them have since come close to establishing themselves at this level.

Edited by markavfc40

Bannan signed this contract at 20 years old. The average for a 20 year old player that has come through the ranks at a Prem club and made less than a handful of top flight appearances will not be anything like 25k a week. That is the perspective.

Disagree, I'd think a lot of the younger players within the top half of the prem (at the time we were finishing in these positions) will be on at least £20k. Look at Sterling earlier this season, he had only played a handful of first team games and was demanding an extortionate amount (not saying he isn't better than bannan btw). You could also look at Clyne last yr, we supposedly pulled out for him as he wanted too much money.

However, much we think the wages in football ate extortionate, in thd grand scheme of things I would imagine that the average 20 yr old for a top half side is £20k and therefore it was probably the right offer to give him

£20k is not the going rate for a 20 year old kid with no experience no matter how you dress it up.

It's probably this policy of throwing money at prospects which has seen the best youth academy produce incredibly little over the last few years.

I could accept 5k a week for a 20 year old with the incentive of a 1m bonus for good behaviour and regular first team football by the end of the season. If this happened watch Bannan properly care about the team then.

And without a shadow of doubt he wouldn't have been caught drink driving.

This policy is a Villa curse and you wont convince me otherwise.

i think 5k is a bit light.. maybe 10k is fair and 15k if they show a great deal of promise. 20k is a bit over the top. Especially for Fonz who never really did shine in the first team.

I too think £20k is a lot for a young squad player that has shown potential - but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the norm as horrific as it sounds. Especially at clubs the more establish PL clubs.

Players like Bannan fall into the same category as Ross Barkley, James McLean, Josh McEchran, Jay Spearing - all sown great potential at youth level but unknown at PL level. I'd be very surprised (and I am guessing mid you) if they weren't all in and around the £20k per week bracket.

Like I said, we all know that Bannan's not worth that, but very few players are worth their wages. Just wouldn't surprise me if that's around the going rate for UK developed squad players.

It seems McEchran is on £35k at Chelscum!!!

Anyway, I'm not defending Bannan's wages, I'm just saying that it needs to be looked at in context. £20k per week is a huge amount of money in practically any other walk of life, but at the time Zinedine Bannan had broken into the Houllier team, having impressed t reserve level and on loan at Blackpool, was a full U21 international and was knocking on the door of the full international scene.

A new contract to keep him of £20k per week seems about market rate, as I'm sure at the time someone else would offer it. Has he subsequently failed to live up to the promise - sure!! At the time however, he was offered an industry standard wage with the view to him delivering on his early promises.

Edited by StanBalaban

Thing is, £20K a week is a ridiculous amount of money by any standard. You have to have a special head not to simply get ruined by it, at least in top footballing terms. Three years are not a lot of time, but to a twenty year old it can certainly feel like it. They feel secure, they have made it, if you like. And they end up getting affected in all sorts of small ways, from ego to work attitude and hunger to improve.

Sadly I suspect that given more moderate contracts way back, both Bannan and Delphouneso could very well be players well deserving of £20K/week today.

Thing is, £20K a week is a ridiculous amount of money by any standard. You have to have a special head not to simply get ruined by it, at least in top footballing terms. Three years are not a lot of time, but to a twenty year old it can certainly feel like it. They feel secure, they have made it, if you like. And they end up getting affected in all sorts of small ways, from ego to work attitude and hunger to improve.

Sadly I suspect that given more moderate contracts way back, both Bannan and Delphouneso could very well be players well deserving of £20K/week today.

The Fonz is more of a mystery - albeit there were people like SGC championing him as the next Drogba or something - but it's arguable that in 2011, had we not offered him an improved contract, old Zinedine Bannan could've got a similar deal elsewhere, as his reputation was on the up and based on potential. We all have the benefit of hindsight now however...

Here's a question for you... Gary Gardner's contract is up in less than 12 months time. He's shown his potential at a lower level, but not really shown it in his limited run in the Prem yet.

I assume he'll get a new contract here to see if he can fulfil his potential - just like Bannan did - and I'm sure, if that's the case, it will be circa £20k per week. Are we mad to offer it knowing that in 2 years time we could be having the same discussion about GG as we are about Zinedine, or do we let him go now?

Wages have nothing to do with Bannan being moved on.

He wasn't even getting on the bench at the end of last season so PL has clearly decided with Sylla-Delph-Westwood trio all playing well, Gardner hopefully staying healthy this season and and maybe another signing before the window closes Bannan is well down the pecking order. Can't say I'd be sorry to see him go, I think his attitude is questionable for a start.

• Like 1

Youth players coming into the first XI is always a gamble. If they show signs of promise like Bannan did, it is sensible to tie them down to a decent medium term contract before any other club nabs them. Then the fans moan that we dont show any faith in our youth set up. I think Villa have been totally fair with Bannan. He has had at least 3 seasons under in fairness a lot of different managers, to prove his worth. He isnt good enough for us, but if we can get a bit of money for him from a championship side I will wish him luck at his next stage of his career.

Here's a question for you... Gary Gardner's contract is up in less than 12 months time. He's shown his potential at a lower level, but not really shown it in his limited run in the Prem yet.

I assume he'll get a new contract here to see if he can fulfil his potential - just like Bannan did - and I'm sure, if that's the case, it will be circa £20k per week. Are we mad to offer it knowing that in 2 years time we could be having the same discussion about GG as we are about Zinedine, or do we let him go now?

Gardner is a step above those two. He wasn't just a player who's shown potential he is a player who has dominated the lower levels both domestic and European. Plus an impressive display in his under 21 match.

With this in mind the potential 'pay-off' of Gardner 'turning good'  is greater than those others and imo deffo worth the risk. 

Edited by Gillz

Youth players coming into the first XI is always a gamble. If they show signs of promise like Bannan did, it is sensible to tie them down to a decent medium term contract before any other club nabs them. Then the fans moan that we dont show any faith in our youth set up. I think Villa have been totally fair with Bannan. He has had at least 3 seasons under in fairness a lot of different managers, to prove his worth. He isnt good enough for us, but if we can get a bit of money for him from a championship side I will wish him luck at his next stage of his career.

We won't get any money for him because of his wages. As other teams won't be willing to pay so much for a Championship standard player we will have to subsidise his wages (ie pay him off) which negates any transfer fee we would have got for him.

Gardner is a step above those two. He wasn't just a player who's shown potential he is a player who has dominated the lower levels both domestic and European. Plus an impressive display in his under 21 match.

With this in mind the potential 'pay-off' of Gardner 'turning good'  is greater than those others and imo deffo worth the risk.

That may well have been your opinion all along, but it's easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight. Take a look back to the start of this thread to see how Bannan was viewed in 2010.

We won't get any money for him because of his wages. As other teams won't be willing to pay so much for a Championship standard player we will have to subsidise his wages (ie pay him off) which negates any transfer fee we would have got for him.

We'll struggle to shift him to another Premier League team because he's not very good - not because of his (by PL standards) below average wages.

With this in mind the potential 'pay-off' of Gardner 'turning good' is greater than those others and imo deffo worth the risk.

Gardner is not worth 20k a week, nor will he get anything like it if/when we offer him a new deal

Interesting read:

Average PL wage is £30k per week

Says we're the highest wage spenders in line with our revenue too.

That's for 2011/2012 season... I think we'll see a massive difference for last season and an even bigger one for this upcoming season.

£30k maybe the average wage in the PL, but £20k is not the average wage of a player who has proved nothing.

Gardner is not worth 20k a week, nor will he get anything like it if/when we offer him a new deal

He won't and rightly so. Lowton and Westwood two first team regulars last season won't be getting even half that so there is no way Gardner will. I'd also be confident in saying that Bacuna, Helenius, Luna will not be on any more than 10k a week. I think the contracts we are giving out are very much incentive based. It says to these young lads you do well and prove yourself at this level over a season or two and you will then be rewarded with an improved contract.

Edited by markavfc40